AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 07-18-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply Joey, that's interesting. In theory at least, the two speakers should be essentially equal in terms of imaging and with the same FST / tweeter head and drivers, and same crossover configuration, the wave-front coherency should be achieved at roughly the same distance. Although only slightly different it's possible that the different heights of the individual drivers produces a less desirable in-room response due to floor and ceiling interactions / multipath effects, but maybe there's also a subtle difference in the bass-mid transition due to the different bass drivers that necessitates a greater listening distance. I look forward to reading feedback from other 800d3 owners in future; Hopefully they can shed some light.

Re the 800d3's, I'm still with the D2's until I move house and build a custom room, which might not be until next year now, but I'm actually very happy with the existing setup, even having heard the 800D3's in various showrooms with good acoustics, so I can tolerate the wait, just.
I think there's something to be said about the distance between the 2 10" woofers and the midrange/tweeter modules. Theoretically, the upper bass coming out of the lower woofer should reflect off the floor sooner than the higher-positioned 8" woofers on the 802D3. A floor reflection of such will not be absorbed by carpet/pad given that it will be sub-400hz. This reflection will hit the listener and will pull the image "down-wards".

To me, a down-wards pull of the image is preferable as I hate looking up.

The problem for me was that while this was preferable, I found that the greater distance from the lowest 10" and the tweeter was probably causing some lack of imaging coherence (probably not the best word) at my usual listening distance with the 802D3.

Maybe coherence isn't the best word, maybe it's that the imaging was not what I was used to and not what I preferred.

It sounded less..... dense.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:52 AM

NOTE:

Just to clarify...

It's not that I heard the individual drivers of the 800D3, it's that the soundstage and imaging was different than what I was used to with the 802D3, I felt like I had to sit a foot or so further back to get the same sensation.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
NOTE:

Just to clarify...

It's not that I heard the individual drivers of the 800D3, it's that the soundstage and imaging was different than what I was used to with the 802D3, I felt like I had to sit a foot or so further back to get the same sensation.
Maybe it's as you say due to the proximity of the woofers to the floor. The pair of higher mounted woofers on the 802D3 might avoid an early floor reflection in the upper bass / lower mids. (Noting that a pair of woofers does also make the primary lobe half as broad in the vertical plane, which is also a good thing) This alone could explain why the 802D3's (and 803D3's) are better for smaller rooms and / or listening at closer distances, if indeed that is found to be the case.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Maybe it's as you say due to the proximity of the woofers to the floor. The pair of higher mounted woofers on the 802D3 might avoid an early floor reflection in the upper bass / lower mids. (Noting that a pair of woofers does also make the primary lobe half as broad in the vertical plane, which is also a good thing) This alone could explain why the 802D3's (and 803D3's) are better for smaller rooms and / or listening at closer distances, if indeed that is found to be the case.

I think you explained it better than I did.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:12 AM

Joey, I'm glad you figured out what was best for your room, as opposed to simply hanging on to the "better" speakers, just because they're higher in the food chain.

The best speaker is always the best speaker for you. And I've got to listen to your system one of these days.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:59 PM
Life is beautiful

Joey, glad you're happy again!
Thank you for letting us follow your journey.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 09-22-2017, 10:36 AM

Hi everybody, I am thinking of replacing my 800D2 with 800D3. I have no doubts that the D3 is superior, but the room I keep them in is not so big. The 800D2 plays great in the room, but seems the D3 is more difficult to integrate in a room. I would not like to go trough an experience similar as Joey, so I would appreciate any comment or experience you share with me that might help.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:23 AM

You pose a very good and interesting question... Can a room that handles the 800d2 handle the 800d3...?

How big is the room?
Old 09-22-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
You pose a very good and interesting question... Can a room that handles the 800d2 handle the 800d3...?

How big is the room?
It is approximately 30 square meters (a bit less) but completely irregular shape, few walls are not parallel and the ceiling is higher on one side. If i manage to draw it...i will post it.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4music View Post
It is approximately 30 square meters (a bit less) but completely irregular shape, few walls are not parallel and the ceiling is higher on one side. If i manage to draw it...i will post it.
I think length and volume of the room is paramount. If I had an additional 5-7 feet length, we wouldn't be having this thread for me.