AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PMC Speakers

PMC Speakers UK's Finest

Old 04-15-2011, 08:08 PM

I had the EB1i's, and traded up to the IB2i's.

You will absolutely love the midrange on the ib2's. So
clean and powerful.

Yes I did give up some low end, but I have not missed it
at all. Especially if you have a good sub. The low end on
the IB2's is very tight.

I recently upgraded from a pair of 7b's to 28b's to power
these, and OMG.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:58 AM

Ian,
Thanks for the explanations.
Although I'm just thrilled by the mids performance of thhe EB1i, and I just can't imagine a more "delicious" sound ( I wish you could be with me listening to female voices with the 2301's ), I will try to arrange an appointment to listen to the IB2i.
But I have an other question for PMC : why don't you include this medium driver on the EB1i case, rework the filter accordingly and propose an "EB2i" with an increased price of course ? And moreover, what would be really cool would be to have an upgrade path for EB1i owners. You could keep both EB1 and EB2 in the line.
The reason why I ask is because the look of the IB2i with its stands is not appealing to me. It suits better in a studio than a living room imo, although they are pretty nice, I 'm not a fan of stands and I bet I'm not alone....
Old 04-17-2011, 12:59 PM

I also have a pair of IB2i on the way--thanks to Jeff. The midrange and overall driver integration are what finally sold me. The mids are extraordinarily transparent and natural--really the best I've ever heard--and simply never harden up under pressure. The total sonic fabric is seamless and continuous from top to bottom, thanks, no doubt, to a very well-implemented crossover design. I have a large, irregular room that eats bass waves but the IB2i pressurize it remarkably well, even at low volume, with tight and tuneful low frequencies. All in all, these speakers tell the whole truth without murdering to dissect (as Wordsworth says), and deliver a musically satisfying experience with no listener fatigue even after many hours. Needless to say, I'm excited!

Bill
Old 04-18-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
Ian, how is the 75mm soft dome mid-range used in the IB2i so much different than the 75mm soft dome used in the EB1i?
Power handling - This is in fact the same midrange found in our BB5-XBD-A. For the mid range alone we have a PMC modified Bryston 4BSST2 running 550w to the mids. The BB5 is capable of 132db SPL without break up. only lunatics will push to levels approaching that number (Jet takeoff anyone?), but the point being having that much headroom allows for an effortless window between <50db to 120db.

Dispersion - Our drive units are engineered to output as close as possible a frequency response that measures at 60 degrees off axis as it does a 0 degrees on axis.

Hand-built in house.

Have a listen to the IB2i, MB2i, MB2-XBDi or BB5i if ever the chance or offer comes up. All feature the PMC 75mm softdome.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:30 PM

The IB2i was initially designed for JVC Mastering in Japan. They wanted a monitor that could achieve a slightly scaled down performance of the BB5XBD-A.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@pmc View Post

Dispersion - Our drive units are engineered to output as close as possible a frequency response that measures at 60 degrees off axis as it does a 0 degrees on axis.
This is a particular advantage of dome mid-ranges vs spider cone designs.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
It's nice to see someone doing things the right way. Too many manufactures in hifi care more about aesthetics than proper crossover design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
This is a particular advantage of dome mid-ranges vs spider cone designs.
The only disadvantage is low frequency extension. They're probably crossing at the baffle step, which makes the lack of extension moot point anyway.

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2
Old 04-18-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
It's nice to see someone doing things the right way. Too many manufactures in hifi care more about aesthetics than proper crossover design.

The only disadvantage is low frequency extension. They're probably crossing at the baffle step, which makes the lack of extension moot point anyway.
The crossover points are at 380 & 3.8k at -24db/oct. So it's as close to seamless as the design permits. These low crossover points keep the driver(s) output as far from beaming effect as possible... The transmission line is what allows the bass extension to dig deep and put out some pressure while reducing low frequency distortion thus presenting a cleaner mid range... Which is where most of the music resides anyway.

In summary:
Well executed crossover
Virtually Seamless driver coherence
Reduced LF distortion
Clearer mid range presentation
Old 04-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
In summary:
Well executed crossover
Virtually Seamless driver coherence
Reduced LF distortion
Clearer mid range presentation
Ian.......This is exactly why I own PMC. Love my EB1i's.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-18-2011, 03:57 PM

[QUOTE=ian@pmc;159301 The transmission line is what allows the bass extension to dig deep and put out some pressure while reducing low frequency distortion thus presenting a cleaner mid range.

[/QUOTE]

Precisely. This is why one has to be careful using a sub woofer with full-range transmission line speakers.