AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 08-03-2017, 06:01 PM

Default Extra power cable between Mains and AC-filter sounds better?

I would like your opinion about the audible effect on adding an extra AC cable between a dedicated AC-line and a mains DC-filter.
Because in my experience the quality of a power cable directly connected to an amplifier has a profound audible effect on the SQ, I use a Shunyata Sigma Analog cables. Then the Sigma is connected to a DC-filter which is directly connected to a dedicated power-line with a female IEC connector.
Because I had the belief that less connectors in the AC-line is better, I did not insert an extra PC between mains powerline and DC-filter but use a female IEC connector directly fitted on the shielded Belden cable that runs from the dedicated AC powerline.
My question is: should I introduce an extra Sigma powercable before the DC-filter for best SQ?
So what configuration in reverse direction in next scheme is better, [1] or [2]?

Dedicated power-line from meter box (shielded Belden cable) terminated by a Furutech female IEC connector --- connected to [1] or [2]:

[1] DC-filter ---- Sigma Analog PC ---- Amplifier
OR
[2] AC-power strip/bar -- Sigma HC PC --- DC-filter ---- Sigma Analog PC ---- Amplifier

Your comments appreciated!
Regards, Gerard

Last edited by GerardJ; 08-08-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:51 PM

I am surprised this has not been mentioned previously. I do have a dedicated 20 amp. line to a SR outlet. However I did make up a 1 1/8 in. diameter (pretty much 2 power cables) silver coat OFC multi-stranded cable with Furutech ends. From the SR outlet to Audioquest 7000. In short and avoiding impedance and resistance talk..... it was instantly apparent that ALL areas had auditorily improved. Only downside was it had to be made to length as it is not easily flexed in shorter length. I only needed 14 in. for the application.

Last edited by The Trace; 08-03-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:53 PM

Apparently everybody thinks that my question is absurd.
Of course in these posts it has always be emphasized to use the best AC-cable you can afford for feeding the Triton, Denali and Hydra. But I use a 2400 euro DC-filter from Vibex Granada (DC-filter still not available from Shunyata!). The Spanish developer of Vibex states: "It is a lot better to connect the Granada direct to a dedicated line with just an high quality IEC plug"!
So let me rephrase: Is the importance of introducing a special feeding cable only or especially important for Shunyata AC-filters?
Hope to get some response on this one!
Regards, Gerard
Old 08-13-2017, 04:59 PM

Just because someone doesn't respond to you post doesn't mean they think it's (your question) is "absurd". That said I have no practice experience running a DC-filter. I also assume the quality of the power grids (better or worse depending on where you are) differ a good bit of that in the States. Of your 1-2 scenario's I would think option one is best. You eliminate what is probably a non essential item from the chain and keep the over length of cables used the shortest. At least that's how I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardJ View Post
Apparently everybody thinks that my question is absurd.
Of course in these posts it has always be emphasized to use the best AC-cable you can afford for feeding the Triton, Denali and Hydra. But I use a 2400 euro DC-filter from Vibex Granada (DC-filter still not available from Shunyata!). The Spanish developer of Vibex states: "It is a lot better to connect the Granada direct to a dedicated line with just an high quality IEC plug"!
So let me rephrase: Is the importance of introducing a special feeding cable only or especially important for Shunyata AC-filters?
Hope to get some response on this one!
Regards, Gerard
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.