Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Events & Demos

Events & Demos Manufacturer & Dealer Sponsored Events

Old 09-21-2017, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_tube View Post

15 days 'til RMAF -- [emoji106]

Best Sir,

Bob
Woohoo! With things the way they have been going at work, I can't wait to get the hell outta here and head to Denver!
Old 09-24-2017, 07:44 PM
Go Dawgs

So question for you guys, I haven't been to an audio show since AXPONA was in Atlanta about 7 years ago. What do you guys bring with you to play at the show? I brought a small folder with some of my CDs and SACDs, but with the resurgence of vinyl and the popularity of streaming, TIDAL, HD Tracks etc. I didn't know if many of the rooms will even have CD players. Do any of you guys tote vinyl with you as you go around? What about a good 'ol ipod classic with lossless files since i don't have a high res personal player such as something from Astell and Kern. What are you planning on bringing?

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 09-24-2017, 07:45 PM

I don't bring anything.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:14 PM

I don't bring anything either.

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
MSB Reference DAC
Innuos Statement w/Next Gen. PS
B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
Shunyata Cables
Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments
Old 09-24-2017, 09:40 PM
Just Pure Lucky

I like to hear new stuff when I go to shows & it's sort of nice to hear others demo material.

Last time wrote down at least a dozen artists/titles that I had heard of but didn't pursue for various reasons & others that I never heard of. Ended up buying almost all of those musicians work/title(s) I noted.

May happen again.

Best Sir,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Valhalla TA cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia in Argento Silver/Black grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit.
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution Bar:Shunyata Everest 8000 w/Omega XC Power Cable.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:3M Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110 ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_tube View Post
I like to hear new stuff when I go to shows & it's sort of nice to hear others demo material.

Last time wrote down at least a dozen artists/titles that I had heard of but didn't pursue for various reasons & others that I never heard of. Ended up buying almost all of those musicians work/title(s) I noted.

May happen again.

Best Sir,

Bob
That's exactly what I do. I've discovered several new artists by attending RMAF.

if I wander into a room and happen to see a record I like, I may ask to hear a cut. Ditto If I'm in a room where they are streaming. Sometimes they ask for suggestions and I'll throw something out there.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:19 AM

If I'm auditioning speakers, I bring a cd with a few familiar cuts on it that really exercise tonality, imaging, and dynamics. This removes a few variables.

Otherwise, I just listen to what's playing and enjoy!
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 09-28-2017, 04:56 PM

In a blog post about RMAF 2017 for his Audiostream website, Michael Lavorgna used an image of marijuana plants and wove humor about maijuana use in Colorado into the blog text.

I work in downtown Denver and know first-hand the impact to downtown Denver in general and 16th Street Mall and Civic Center Park in particular. The City and County of Denver has tried a number of things to deal with this problem (with varying degrees of success) including trying to limit the sale of single joints and increasing police presence. The latest April 20 weed rally was a disaster and the City and County of Denver banned the event for the next three years.

I was not pleased with the Audiostream blog and exchanged a few blog entry messages with Mr. Lavorgna. He cited some state-wide statistics indicating little impact of marijuana on crime. I do not know how these statistics were prepared but I am well-aware of the impact downtown and so are the officials (not just the mayor) of City and County of Denver.

Mr Lavorgna should stick to his area of expertise. He is certainly knowledgeable on computer audio, streaming, and related technology, and he promotes music discovery which is good. To avoid further on-line debating I gracefully asked him to delete my account at Audiostream, which he did.

If anyone attending RMAF 2017 chooses to go downtown at night, please be careful on the 16th Street Mall and in Civic Center Park.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:56 PM
Just Pure Lucky

I'm gonna TC here more so than any post previous -- sorry -- bare with me.

It saddens me greatly that I am unable to attend this years RMAF next week. My Dad (step since I was 5) has undergone 2 surgeries totaling 23 hours since January for jaw bone cancer. The first surgery of 11 hours went smoothe even though prior to he had to have 4 teeth removed and during surgery another 3. He spent 2 weeks in ICU and another 10 days on the ward floor before being transferred to a rehab facility across the street for another 3 weeks (took a bone from his leg and implanted in his jaw). Had to learn to walk, and systematically, in steps, remove the tracheotomy apparatus.

Ramifications from that surgery resulted in him having an infection so bad that it opened a 'drain hole' below his jaw and as he swallowed liquid, it would not only have infectious material but also drinking liquid to escape. He came to UNC Cancer Center for a consult/2d opinion since heavy antibiotics didn't cure the infection -- was advised & he was more agreeable to after dealing with this for 8 months, to remove the bone and basically do without. Eating/chewing, after implants, could be done on the left side of his mouth.

3 weeks ago today, after a 12 plus hour operation he remains in ICU. Removal of the bone & skin grafts on his cheek (found melanoma) from forearm skin seemed to be healing fine; especially with the aide of leeches sucking blood through the grafts. Weird as hell -- and quite amazing this 2500 year old medical alternative is used in many parts of the world to help heal wounds and restore circulation in blocked blood veins. Once they open up a bite wound they secrete an anti-clotting enzyme called Hirudin into the bloodstream so that blood will keep flowing (probably $500 per leech -- medical grade of course & you thought audio cables were expensive).

Anyways he's not doing that well -- almost lost him last Sunday -- heart issues (stress/anxiety/tired of laying there, etc. -- who knows for sure). He has a do not resuscitate clause in his heath documents which we will honor. Has a Trach and is on a Vent along with a host of other tubes/devices. Glad he has Medicare and is on Tricare for Life. As like the surgery in January, we won't see a hospital bill.

He is a great guy and especially as I remember as a kid. As a young 'coastie' he ran the pistol range which was located in the basement of the US Treasury Building in Washington, DC.

As you exited the elevator on the basement floor, there were Treasury Police sitting in individual linked cages, each with loaded 12 gauge shotguns. Probably 6 or 7 cages left and right until you reached the door to the 6 or 8 lane range. Cages were loaded, stacked high with neatly wrapped bill bundles on pallets.

During my school day holiday visits, I recall shooting endlessly throughout the day, 45's, 38's, 22's at targets 25 yards away. Next to my lane, right or left were Secret Service, FBI, DC Metro Police and an occasional CIA guy in a suit. His boss called him one day and said, "Carl, you'll see these guys sign in as 'agency' -- don't worry -- let them do their shooting and assist in anyways possible like you do others. When Carl asked who was the "agency" he was told, CIA. He responded and said, 'what the hell is the CIA.' Funny.

He was on, of course on the USCG Pistol Team and also the White House Pistol Team -- always gone on weekends at matches in the VA/MD areas. I recall him coming home with either neat multicolored patches or trophies that were awarded & he placed along a wall in basement of the Riverdale house. He was proud of the weekend(s) outcome.

I have his match 45 and 22 long and cherish it greatly. Recently he visited (during the visit to UNC Clinic) and I broke out the range case - pistols, bullets, notes, targets even & of course the case mounted scope mounted on the inside. He took that unloaded 45 and dry fired it -- I never saw that pistol waver an iota -- as he squeezed the extremely touchy trigger. That was cool.

After 31 years in the USCG, retiring as a Chief Warrant Officer 4 he has had a great life. He traded in pistols & that love for something less noisy -- golf is his game and quite good at it -- single digit low handicap.

Anyways, thought I'd explain why I'm absent this year, last minute & TC and wish he pulls out of his current condition. Miracles do happen & am a firm believer.

End of life journeys do suck though and having seen battlefield & non it's quite painful to undergo for family. Wish Carl and us your best prayers.

Back onto RMAF -- 2fastdriving (Marc) will assume coordination of activities to AA members & I called Del Friscos tonight; the table next Saturday nite at 7PM is on record as reserved for you. I'll pass onto Marc your cell phone numbers and he'll take it from there.

Have fun guys -- take some pics and please drop a post.

Very Best Sirs,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Valhalla TA cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia in Argento Silver/Black grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit.
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution Bar:Shunyata Everest 8000 w/Omega XC Power Cable.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:3M Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110 ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 09-29-2017 at 01:32 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:35 AM

Very sorry. I wish for a miraculous recovery for your Dad.