AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 04-03-2017, 09:23 PM

Default Looking for help with my Speaker Upgrade

We recently moved to a smaller house. I now have a dedicated listening room which has been acoustically tuned with absorption, diffusion and corner traps. My room dimensions are on the small end 11'7" x 15'6" with 8 foot ceilings.
Speakers are 6'6" from centre of each speaker. 31" from side walls and 36" from rear walls.
My head position is 8 feet back from front of speakers with 30" from my head to the rear wall.
Diffusion is on wall behind me. Absorption at first deflection points on side walls. Rear wall with additional absorption on side walls. Corners have base traps.

My room was a lot larger and my Dynaudio C4 Signatures had a lot of room to breath. With patient room tuning and adjustment they sound great in my new room at moderate listening levels. If I crank things up it can be a little more challenging. They are driven by Krell Evolution One and Two's. Source is EMM DA2, Bryston BDP-2 and cabling is Siltech. I also own a JL Fathom 112.

I have had a chance to listen to the Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution on my last visit to Florida and liked them very much. I have also heard the Wilson Sasha 2's. Our choices are very limited where I live. Not much high-end anymore here. I have access to Sonus Faber here if I order them, also have access to Wilson Audio. The reality is I don't have much choice here if I move away from Dynaudio. I also listened to the smaller Paradigm Persona's but found them a little on the forward bright side. I wouldn't mind trying something new and may be leaning towards the Amati, Guarneri's or new Tradition's but have to say the Wilsons sound pretty nice when driven by Krell.

I understand that in an ideal world speakers should be auditioned in your own listening environment but the reality this isn't possible in small market cities. Hence my query here.

I listen to mostly, Jazz, Blues, Easy Listening and the odd New Age.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:12 PM

http://hifisenses.com/sg-en/house-vi...rch-gears.html
Old 04-03-2017, 10:25 PM

Default Looking for help with my Speaker Upgrade

shpritz...for the size of your room and the type of music you listen to (and the amplifier-speaker match), I would go with the SF Guarneri Evolution, or even better the Mementos, which are the version before the Evolution. I think the Krell-Wilson combo can also be a bit forward and shrill sometimes. Also Sasha 2s also feel they might be a bit much for your size room. You can always dial-in the JL Fathoms with SF Guarneri if you are missing a little bottom end, and that should also help them pull off a better disappearing act.

This is just one person's opinion. I am sure you will get many others.

Last edited by cmalak; 04-04-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:59 AM

I recently had the chance to hear the new lines of SF Tradition series in a room size ratio of 12'×16'×9'. That's between Serafino, Amati the latest version and futura and Guarneri Evos.

For that room size I was truly impressed with the Serafino it had the grace and bass of both Amatis minus the bass empowering that room. They were very dynamic, transparent, airy and balanced. The Amatis sounded very nice they threw a big soundstage but the 8" bass was a bit too much for that room size which gave an unbalanced sound but given an appropriate room yes they will definitely sound great.

As for the Guarneri Evo I tried it as a comparison. I have the Evos and wanted to know if it was a good significant upgrade for me. It did held its place especially at the midrange region it was so lovely slightly less airy to the newer series but still very nice and sweet. No doubt there was a slight lacking in the lower registries, they did too threw a big stage. They sounded slightly sluggish/laidback and darker in tone than the newer Traditional series. Funny when I bought the Evos I did a comparison with the Momentos and I found the Momento sounded slightly dark and laid back in comparison to the evos. It's like each newer series sounds less darkish in tone and more dynamic then the previous generations.

All in all the Serafino should sound decent in your room size without giving much bass issues. The room that I heard didn't have much treatment done so with a little bit of treatment I don't see that to be an issue.

My room size is 12'x21.6'×8' and I find the Guarneri Evo sounds fabulous with a slight lacking in the lower registries but that doesn't disturb me at all, as I find them to be very musical, engaging with lovely midrange and sweet highs that captivates me each time I switch my system on and they fill the room up nicely giving me an enveloped 3D stage.

Hope this helps
Old 04-04-2017, 06:40 AM

I agree with the others that a large floor stander might be too much for your new room. I had Sasha 1's for 5 years in a 15' X 24' X 9' dedicated listening room and at times the bass was constrained by the room. I also agree that Wilson and Krell is not the best pairing.

The Evolutions might be a great choice given your room. If you need more bass, you can always try the sub you already own.
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 04-04-2017, 11:41 AM

Yup. I am definitely leaning towards the Guarneri line up. They must be well loved as it is very hard to find anything in North America over the past six months since I started looking.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:05 PM

If you mostly listening to music than Sonus Faber speakers line is the way to go from my experience with SF.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:25 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

1guy... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 04-08-2017, 01:12 AM

Sabrina's or Yvette should also be on your list.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:40 PM

Default Went with Graphite Mementos

After much reading. Waiting for a pair to come available up here for a fair price, I went with the Mementos! Love them!! Thanks for all your input and help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3427.jpg (91.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 51711325452__2BE9A519-5683-4257-95CB-CE06CC2E0500.jpg (90.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 51711326145__EB325BF9-F92C-4BC5-A187-D8978B1CC486.jpg (88.8 KB, 61 views)