AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 03-19-2017, 12:59 AM

Default Triton v2 to v3 upgrade

Last week I sent my Triton v2 in to Shunyata for the v3 upgrade. This adds the new technology in the Denali line to the Triton, thus restoring the Triton to its position as the king of power conditioners. This link provides the details on the upgrade.

http://www.shunyata.com/index.php/su...pgrade-program

I was curious if there would be much improvement since my current power is already at a very high level of having both clean power, and able to provide as much instantaneous current as my gear needs. Plus, I was also interested in the new Denali technology, and this was an 'inexpensive' way to experience it.

Anyway, the Triton v3 arrived this morning (Saturday), and it has been playing since early afternoon. Now that it is nighttime, the house is sealed, and the outside ambient noise has dropped, I can unequivocally state, this is GREAT. The Tv2 to Tv3 upgrade did not produce the same jaw dropping experience as did the Tv1 to Tv2 upgrade, but that is because the system is already at such a high resolution level with clean power.

What this upgrade does is bring out even more low level resolution details in the music, and I play the music now at a lower average volume level setting, but with the same impact as before.

Earlier today, I installed the Tv3 and let everything settle in for 45 minutes since some gear was off about 10 minutes. The Tv3 is used for the preamp, file player, SACD player, and Typhon. Additionally, each item, except SACD, has a chassis ground cable to the Tv3. While swapping I realized the Lumin ground was not attached, so I reattached it. Now I will not know if any improvement is from the Tv3, or the Lumin ground.

I started the evaluation using my playlist of women singers; Holly Cole, Diana Krall, Nora Jones, Patricia Barber, and others. I have found these to be some of the best recorded and sounding music I have. Plus they use all the drivers, and some have great, clear, precise bass.

At that time, the very initial impression was that there is a deeper, darker background along with clearer, distinct vocals. The first track that came up on random play was Holly Cole, and her inhaling while singing just popped out. Maybe that was there before, but it certainly caught my attention this time. Nora Jones finished Happy Pills, and the bass was just there. Shelby Lynn, How Can I Be Sure, played, and the quitar in the left speaker is just real. Pick those strings.

Now at 9 PM I am using a playlist of my two favorite women singers; Lady Gaga and Marilyn Manson. They both do a great job of using all the drivers, and MM songs have interesting electronic sound effects in some songs. The problem is you don't hear these effects until you get high resolution from the stereo. I am really hearing them now, and constantly going, 'Where did that come from.' LOL

Lady Gaga, on the other hand, just has good songs, and I am getting more pleasure now from them than before. Even songs that I didn't really like have moved up a notch in the enjoyment category.

For $2K this is a great upgrade. It's nice to get a big improvement for such a modest price. I can't believe I just said that.

One area I am curious about is the feet on the Tv3. The website doesn't mention them, and I am wondering if they have vibration control capability.

Once again, I am just impressed with Shunyata technology. My experience with Shunyata started around 7 years or so ago when I bought two Venom power cables for my Cambridge Audio 840W amps. That was such an improvement that I bought two Python CX cables a few weeks later, and haven't looked back yet.

Now it is time to return my other Tv2 for the v3 upgrade. I sure hope they decide to offer a Cyclop upgrade to v3. My amps are feeling like second class citizens at this point.

--------------------------------------------

Lumin S1
Sony XA5400ES SACD
Pass XP-20 pre, X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MK2 Mcast Rose speakers

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon for source, Cyclops v2 (2) for amps
Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables
Revelation Audio Passage Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Last edited by BlueFox; 03-19-2017 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
Last week I sent my Triton v2 in to Shunyata for the v3 upgrade. This adds the new technology in the Denali line to the Triton, thus restoring the Triton to its position as the king of power conditioners. This link provides the details on the upgrade.

http://www.shunyata.com/index.php/su...pgrade-program

I was curious if there would be much improvement since my current power is already at a very high level of having both clean power, and able to provide as much instantaneous current as my gear needs. Plus, I was also interested in the new Denali technology, and this was an 'inexpensive' way to experience it.

Anyway, the Triton v3 arrived this morning (Saturday), and it has been playing since early afternoon. Now that it is nighttime, the house is sealed, and the outside ambient noise has dropped, I can unequivocally state, this is GREAT. The Tv2 to Tv3 upgrade did not produce the same jaw dropping experience as did the Tv1 to Tv2 upgrade, but that is because the system is already at such a high resolution level with clean power.

What this upgrade does is bring out even more low level resolution details in the music, and I play the music now at a lower average volume level setting, but with the same impact as before.

Earlier today, I installed the Tv3 and let everything settle in for 45 minutes since some gear was off about 10 minutes. The Tv3 is used for the preamp, file player, SACD player, and Typhon. Additionally, each item, except SACD, has a chassis ground cable to the Tv3. While swapping I realized the Lumin ground was not attached, so I reattached it. Now I will not know if any improvement is from the Tv3, or the Lumin ground.

I started the evaluation using my playlist of women singers; Holly Cole, Diana Krall, Nora Jones, Patricia Barber, and others. I have found these to be some of the best recorded and sounding music I have. Plus they use all the drivers, and some have great, clear, precise bass.

At that time, the very initial impression was that there is a deeper, darker background along with clearer, distinct vocals. The first track that came up on random play was Holly Cole, and her inhaling while singing just popped out. Maybe that was there before, but it certainly caught my attention this time. Nora Jones finished Happy Pills, and the bass was just there. Shelby Lynn, How Can I Be Sure, played, and the quitar in the left speaker is just real. Pick those strings.

Now at 9 PM I am using a playlist of my two favorite women singers; Lady Gaga and Marilyn Manson. They both do a great job of using all the drivers, and MM songs have interesting electronic sound effects in some songs. The problem is you don't hear these effects until you get high resolution from the stereo. I am really hearing them now, and constantly going, 'Where did that come from.' LOL

Lady Gaga, on the other hand, just has good songs, and I am getting more pleasure now from them than before. Even songs that I didn't really like have moved up a notch in the enjoyment category.

For $2K this is a great upgrade. It's nice to get a big improvement for such a modest price. I can't believe I just said that.

One area I am curious about is the feet on the Tv3. The website doesn't mention them, and I am wondering if they have vibration control capability.

Once again, I am just impressed with Shunyata technology. My experience with Shunyata started around 7 years or so ago when I bought two Venom power cables for my Cambridge Audio 840W amps. That was such an improvement that I bought two Python CX cables a few weeks later, and haven't looked back yet.

I cannot recommend enough their products.

Now it is time to return my other Tv2 for the v3 upgrade. I sure hope they decide to offer a Cyclop upgrade to v3. My amps are feeling like second class citizens at this point.

--------------------------------------------

Lumin S1
Sony XA5400ES SACD
Pass XP-20 pre, X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MK2 Mcast Rose speakers

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon for source, Cyclops v2 (2) for amps
Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables
Revelation Audio Passage Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Marilyn Manson is a woman?!? Man, I got that wrong...
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 03-19-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
Congratulations on the upgrade.

Wanting to send mine in as well but wondering how were you able to stand not having the Triton in your system for any amount of time. How long for the turnaround?
PreAmp: Audio Research Ref 6
Amp: ML 536 (2), Rotel 1552 (3), Rotel 1585
Speakers: Focal Maestro EVO, Focal 1000 Utopia Center, Focal 1000 IW6 side/rear surrounds, Focal 1000 IW6 X4 Ceiling, Rel G2 X 2 subs, Martin Logan 1500 X 2 subs, B&W 805D2 in master bedroom
Video: JVC NZ8 Projector
Power: Shunyata Everest, Sigma XC (1), Sigma NR (1), Sigma Analog (2), Alpha HC (2), Alpha Digital (2), Alpha Analog (1), Viper(1), Venom Digital(1)
Cables: Shunyata Anaconda SC, Anaconda IC (2), Shunyata Sigma USB, Shunyata Sigma XLR X 2, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, Shunyata Clock Alpha X 2, Sigma x 1
Old 03-19-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward3132 View Post
Congratulations on the upgrade.

Wanting to send mine in as well but wondering how were you able to stand not having the Triton in your system for any amount of time. How long for the turnaround?
I sent my HT Triton in for the upgrade and put a Hydra AV in its place. When it came back I put it in the stereo, and will now send that one off for the upgrade. I didn't want my stereo to be without a Triton.

It took a little over a week, with four of those days for shipping. I dropped it at Fed-Ex on a Wednesday, and it was back the following Saturday.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:50 PM

Default Me too. . .

I can't add much to what Bud already reported about his upgraded Triton v3. I'm very pleased with the results of upgrading my Triton (v2) to v3. Initially I had a little trepidation about doing the modifications -- I was really happy with the sound of my system with the Triton v2 and I guess I am one of the minority who preferred my Triton v2/Typhon to the Denali/Typhon when I tried the new Denali in my system.

The v3 definitely passes what I call the "low level/high level" test -- I can play music lower in level and still have it sound lively and engaging with a tactile presence that sounds very much like the real thing, yet I can crank the volume louder than before without the music becoming overbearing and in your face.

All the subtle little cues and details -- the low-level information -- are even more present and easily heard than before.

So far I've only plugged the front end equipment directly into the Triton -- phono and preamp, DAC and Typhon. Subwoofer amps, SDS, power supply for the LPS-1 powering the microRendu streamer are all on a Shunyata PS8 plugged into the Triton and the amp is plugged into a Shunyata wall duplex. I thought the wall connection for the amp sounded more dynamic and had a deeper and wider soundstage than plugging the amp into the Triton v2. Now that I've got several hundred hours on the v3 it's probably time to try the amp into the upgraded Triton to hear if the new devices do indeed provide more dynamic range than a direct wall connection.

I've always been very pleased with the super customer service Caelin and Grant have provide. This upgrade has been no exception. Questions were answered promptly, Richard provided a return authorization and followed up with e-mail letting me know when my Triton arrived and when it shipped, turn-around was very fast and I was only without my Triton for about a week. The short hiatus in itself was a nice credibility check -- as good as Shunyata's PS8 is (even with the addition of a Typhon), the Triton v3 is so much better.

Kudos to the Shunyata team!

Steve Z

D’Agostino Momentum M400 amps, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono amp, Wilson Audio Alexx, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofer stacks.

Shunyata Triton v3 & Typhon QR, Typhon. Shunyata Sigma NR & NR v2 cords and cables, Stillpoints ESS grid system rack, Stillpoint Ultras, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots of music!