AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 06-22-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
I stand corrected.
I read that use Morel to build some of their drivers.

Last edited by frequentflyer; 01-30-2016 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:35 PM

With a few false starts and some patience, I now have a new pair of S1s in my room. I'll post again when they have burned in a bit and have them dialed in, but here are a few first impressions.

Day 1: Literally cold and just plopped down where the B1s were, they were bright with bass MIA.

Day 2: At room temp, they were a bit better already. Moving them back 6" made a huge difference in bass response. I think I am not quite at optimum position yet, but already bass is very adequate. Compared to the B1, they are down several dB below 100 hz (by ear) but they have good extension. The 32 hz spec is realistic.

After a few days of listening to various types of music and in comparison to the vivids...

Soundstage: The B1s give an amazingly life like presentation of the singer. Very stable center image. Off center instruments and vocals become a bit diffuse. To be fair, this is a property of my room, which is only 12' wide so I have diffusion at first reflection points. The S1s don't have quite as solid of center image, but have more clear placement across the soundstage, extending beyond the speakers, and are a bit more three dimensional.

High end: Both very good, but neither 'perfect'. The B1s have a quality that could be described in a positive way as 'shimmering' or in a negative way as 'squeaky'. S1 have more extension and are brighter and I would describe as a touch 'splashy'. If the new diamond coated tweeter fixes this, they are likely very, very good. Break in may help.

Bass: B1s overloaded my room a bit and bass was a bit exaggerated. Placement had to be within 1/2 inch of the best position for them to sound really good with smooth response. Was very enjoyable when dialed in though. S1s seem to have about the same extension, but level is quite a bit less. However, the resolution of the speakers makes it easy to focus in on the bass line. For example, I was perfectly happy with Geedy Lee's bass Guitar on the Hi-res version of Moving Pictures. I could easily hear every note.

Listening fatigue and long term happiness: Stay tuned.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:22 PM

I've had the S1s running for a few months now. Got placement just right finally. I also found that absorption on first reflection point is critical to tame the top end. This exercise reminded me of how much we are listening to the room.

Bottom line is I'm really enjoying them - more than I did the B1s, which will be going up here on the marketplace.

Are they perfect? No, of course not. The top end is a touch brash, low end drops off below 35 hz, there is some audible distortions from very bass heavy tracks, and I get a bit of floor bounce suck out. A S3 mkII would seem to address all these issues. If I don't buy anything from now until they get released (assuming they become reality, which is just speculation) and a dealer is ready to give me a good deal, I might actually be able to afford a pair. Until then I'll be happily listing to music.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:10 PM

Congrats. I'm awaiting my mk IIs right now. I have a bigger room, so I went with S5s, but honestly - the S3 mk 2 would probably be a better fit.

I expect magico to launch the S3 mk 2 when they are done with the flood of orders for the S1s/S5s.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:47 AM

rumor is 2017 for the Mk II S3
Old 04-26-2016, 11:13 AM

rumor is 2017 for the Mk II S3

Hoi impreza2p, i have "read" same romur....but a S3mk2 for around 45k.scar< me and a "demo/ ex show room" S3 for 20k now can be very interessing!

it's not simpy....the "first" Magico" release S1 now wit the mk2 have a very good sound improvement....the S5mk2 never listen.....bt the "lat released S3 with the mk2 version have sound a step up nut (imph) not so big like a S1 or S5! -> S3 have "learned to play" with the tecnology from the S1/S3 that are a
an extra step compared to the S1-S5.....

sure iinvest in an S3 has more 'sense than investing in a S5 Demo OR????
Old 04-27-2016, 07:05 AM

If you have the money and are willing to spend it on a speaker, I would go for the mkII versions. That said you will be probably be very happy with the S3.

I also sometimes have the itch to change my speakers to a newer version, but luckily that goes away after a few minutes of listening to the V3's I have.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezap2 View Post
If you have the money and are willing to spend it on a speaker, I would go for the mkII versions. That said you will be probably be very happy with the S3. I also sometimes have the itch to change my speakers to a newer version, but luckily that goes away after a few minutes of listening to the V3's I have.
Imprezap2,

I have fond memories of the V3s. They were my first Magico speaker. An absolutely beautiful and wonderful sounding speaker. Congratulations!
Old 04-28-2016, 06:31 AM

thanks, still love these V3's.

Your Q7mkII's are top of the bill in my opinion, that system must be fantastic to listen too

Olaf
Old 04-28-2016, 06:35 AM

just thinking of it, wondering why I never see any Magico/Wilson speakers in Ivan's top systems, hereby not saying that the TAD's/Sonus fabers are worse or better.