AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Events & Demos

Events & Demos Manufacturer & Dealer Sponsored Events

Old 03-18-2012, 07:31 PM

Just noticed an addition to the "events" page of the montreal show - Joe Harley (of Audioquest and Music Matters) discussing the history of Blue Note Jazz. I'll be going to the Friday lecture.
Chris
Old 03-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunes View Post
Just noticed an addition to the "events" page of the montreal show - Joe Harley (of Audioquest and Music Matters) discussing the history of Blue Note Jazz. I'll be going to the Friday lecture.
Chris

A huge .
Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChiaro View Post
Not going, but anything in Montreal is a flat-out, good time!
+1

Yes, so Wanda says.

Montreal is a great city - really need to get back up there. Jazz/blues fest in late June...
Old 03-22-2012, 06:53 AM

Default SSI begins today!

Trade professionals only today and then open to the public tomorrow through Sunday. Vinyl lovers bring your plastic as Aux 33 Tours, a wonderful record shop from the plateau area in Montreal, will be there again this year selling great music. That's usually my first stop.
Chris
Old 03-24-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunes
Trade professionals only today and then open to the public tomorrow through Sunday. Vinyl lovers bring your plastic as Aux 33 Tours, a wonderful record shop from the plateau area in Montreal, will be there again this year selling great music. That's usually my first stop.
Chris
Great show again this year. Aux 33 Tours actually decided NOT to haul their vinyl to the show but to offer a free hourly shuttle to the store. Great idea as they have tons of used lps there as well. They are also located on a great street for food and cafes.

Was excellent to connect with Bill in the Filtronique room. He has a wealth of good advice re sonus elipsa se design and corresponding appropriate room size and placement.

The SE's were sounding fantastic and i went back several times to hear them again with different music. The Filtronique guys are wonderful and it was one of my favourite rooms.

Only two complaints - I was disappointed that they were only running music through the laptop via DCS so i couldn't listen to the elipsa's with familiar tracks that i had on CD (this was the case at several exhibitors rooms) and i wished that the ARC reference gear on static display had been used on day 2 rather than continuing with Boulder. Apparently, this decision was political and driven by $$ for 'product placement'.

Other standout rooms included the coup de foudre rooms (one leben, devore, auditorium 23, and the other a pairing of VTL monos with Wilson Sophias) and the Tricell room HRS / Aesthetix.

Had a great conversation with Mike Latvis of HRS and he had a prototype of a furniture grade-ish economical rack that looked good. Should be available later this year and cheaper than the SRX series.

Joe Harley did several talks on Blue Note jazz which were interesting and entertaining. He swapped original pressings with the Music Matters 45 pressings on several titles and showed some of Wolff's awesome b&w photos from the sessions at RVG's parent's house in the 50's.

The show runs till tomorrow.
Chris

Last edited by tunes; 03-24-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:32 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Mike Latvis is a Super Guy, and his products aren't bad either.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 03-24-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Great show again this year. Aux 33 Tours actually decided NOT to haul their vinyl to the show but to offer a free hourly shuttle to the store. Great idea as they have tons of used lps there as well. They are also located on a great street for food and cafes.

Was excellent to connect with Bill in the Filtronique room. He has a wealth of good advice re sonus elipsa se design and corresponding appropriate room size and placement.

The SE's were sounding fantastic and i went back several times to hear them again with different music. The Filtronique guys are wonderful and it was one of my favourite rooms.

Only two complaints - I was disappointed that they were only running music through the laptop via DCS so i couldn't listen to the elipsa's with familiar tracks that i had on CD (this was the case at several exhibitors rooms) and i wished that the ARC reference gear on static display had been used on day 2 rather than continuing with Boulder. Apparently, this decision was political and driven by $$ for 'product placement'.

Other standout rooms included the coup de foudre rooms (one leben, devore, auditorium 23, and the other a pairing of VTL monos with Wilson Sophias) and the Tricell room HRS / Aesthetix.

Had a great conversation with Mike Latvis of HRS and he had a prototype of a furniture grade-ish economical rack that looked good. Should be available later this year and cheaper than the SRX series.

Joe Harley did several talks on Blue Note jazz which were interesting and entertaining. He swapped original pressings with the Music Matters 45 pressings on several titles and showed some of Wolff's awesome b&w photos from the sessions at RVG's parent's house in the 50's.

The show runs till tomorrow.
Chris
Chris...thx for your update. For those interested, here is Stereophile's coverage of the SSI 2012 audio show: SSI 2012 | Stereophile.com
Old 03-24-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Mike Latvis is a Super Guy, and his products aren't bad either.
Definitely agree Ivan. I've spoken with Mike a few times and he has this wonderful character - laid back but full of info if you want it. Low pressure sales to be sure and Mike creates these superbly crafted product that keeps me coming back for more. I'm a convert and owner of record weights, damping plates, nimbus and M3X platforms. Haven't gone the HRS rack route yet for a number of reasons but I keep lurking around them They are very carefully thought through. As I admired the SXR rack, Mike was saying that the SXR had taken him 2 years to perfect. For those interested, there is a Signature version of the SXR which is reinforced and close to the MXR rack in performance but approx. 25% less expensive.
Chris
Old 03-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:

Chris
Chris,

When you do a show like this with a dealer, the dealer often makes arrangements to play certain products there. The system being played was decided upon by Sonor and then manufacturers were contacted to participate. This is always the way they do it.

I have been doing this show with Sonor since before I worked for Sumiko and I have never seen a manufacturer turn down a request to participate. We are always here and willing to do whatever they ask. They are one of our most supportive and successful dealers.

Sometimes too, we are fortunate enought to work with Rene LaFlamme of Fidelio. Rene has often used Sonus faber and ARC, as was the case last year when he drove Strads with an ARC REF system. At the same time, we had Futuras with Boulder and DCS in the Sonor room.

Hopefully you will be able to vist the shop and Dany can set up the ARC gear for you there with Elipsa SE.

BTW the system is sounding better today than it has the entire show. Stop by again if you can.

Bill
Old 03-25-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts

Chris,

When you do a show like this with a dealer, the dealer often makes arrangements to play certain products there. The system being played was decided upon by Sonor and then manufacturers were contacted to participate. This is always the way they do it.

I have been doing this show with Sonor since before I worked for Sumiko and I have never seen a manufacturer turn down a request to participate. We are always here and willing to do whatever they ask. They are one of our most supportive and successful dealers.

Sometimes too, we are fortunate enought to work with Rene LaFlamme of Fidelio. Rene has often used Sonus faber and ARC, as was the case last year when he drove Strads with an ARC REF system. At the same time, we had Futuras with Boulder and DCS in the Sonor room.

Hopefully you will be able to vist the shop and Dany can set up the ARC gear for you there with Elipsa SE.

BTW the system is sounding better today than it has the entire show. Stop by again if you can.

Bill
Bill,
I absolutely loved the elipsa's and filtronique's room this year and in previous years. I should have said it was not a complaint but a disappointment for me to not have heard the ARCs paired with the elipsa se. The boulder was great but is not likely in my system's future. I will be following up with Dany re the shunyata PC that i bought at the show and hope to make it to Montreal again soon.
The sound of the Filtronique rooms is always a highlight. Rene's room last year with strads, arc, the Kronos table and fidelio vinyl was also outstanding!
Wish i could stop in again! I am currently in Western quebec boiling sap for syrup The elipsas must be very very good to be better than what i heard fri and sat. I sure hope to have the benefits of the superb advice of the speaker whisperer in my system's future
Before you go, be sure to check out Todd from MA Recordings in the lower level. He has some outstanding releases that would absolutely sing on the Elipsa SE!
Chris