AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tubes & Valves

Tubes & Valves Upgrades, Spares & General Comments

Old 11-29-2010, 07:55 AM

No warmup. My 275 gets up to speed very quickly.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaefer11 View Post
No warmup. My 275 gets up to speed very quickly.
Kevin.......When you say, "gets up to speed very quickly", does that mean you can hear a difference from cold to warm, but it dimenishes quickly, or you hear no difference?

I have to ask because I am also using MC275's, and without a doubt I am hearing the soundstage open wider, and textures of sounds grow more lifelike as the amps warm. Don't misunderstand my comment, the MC275's sound very good dead cold, but their sonic presentation opens up once the amps have warmed.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-21-2010, 02:08 PM

I am not an amp expert but when we test tubes we always make sure they have been heated for a least an hour. This is even after they have been burned in 24-48 hours. We can see a marked difference in tube response to testing, that makes a difference, when the tubes are warmed up.

During my years as a recording engineer if we were using tube mics we would let them heat up for a minimum 1 hour. We could hear a significant difference in the response of the mic from cold to warmed up.

All that being said, I've always suggest that you give your tubes an hour warm up time when possible.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Kevin.......When you say, "gets up to speed very quickly", does that mean you can hear a difference from cold to warm, but it dimenishes quickly, or you hear no difference?

I have to ask because I am also using MC275's, and without a doubt I am hearing the soundstage open wider, and textures of sounds grow more lifelike as the amps warm. Don't misunderstand my comment, the MC275's sound very good dead cold, but their sonic presentation opens up once the amps have warmed.
Sorry for the late reply, somehow I missed this.

Dan, I don't believe that the amps sound much different as they warm up, they seem to be "up to speed" in a few minutes. I do notice that I tend to hear "better" as the listening session grows, which I attribute more to me "getting up to speed" than any change in the amps, as I have found this to be true even when I owned solid state amps.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogTubes View Post
I am not an amp expert but when we test tubes we always make sure they have been heated for a least an hour. This is even after they have been burned in 24-48 hours. We can see a marked difference in tube response to testing, that makes a difference, when the tubes are warmed up.

During my years as a recording engineer if we were using tube mics we would let them heat up for a minimum 1 hour. We could hear a significant difference in the response of the mic from cold to warmed up.

All that being said, I've always suggest that you give your tubes an hour warm up time when possible.
Wow, many of my listening sessions do not last an hour!
Old 12-23-2010, 12:09 PM

I have had the opportunity yesterday and this morning to spend several hours listening to my system. I tried to pay particular attention to any change in the sound quality as time went on. I cannot say that I heard any difference in the sound quality of the system over time.

Differences in the sound quality of various recordings as well as differences in the mixes were apparent from the first minute or so.

Seems I have lucked out once again with my tin ears. No need to pre-heat the amp and I enjoy my listening session from the start.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:42 PM

Amps, an hour, the preamp stays on all the time.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:23 PM

In agreement with the hour for most gear....
Old 05-30-2011, 07:51 PM

I just purchased my very first tube component, a Prima Luna DiaLogue One integrated amplifier, so this thread actually comes in handy for me. This past weekend I was able to listen to the amp for hours on end and the experience has been extremely illuminating.

Some albums sound absolutely three dimensional, warm and sweet, with vocals that "float" dead-center in-between my speakers and produce an almost ethereal sound that I could listen to forever and is not fatiguing, which is the type of experience I was after, while others left me scratching my head since they actually sound strident, with highs that are too bright, and an overall more "in your face" presentation than what I was used to coming from a Marantz receiver.

So, my question for all of you, since we are on the subject, is: in your personal experience, how many break-in hours do tubes need to blossom? The Prima Luna uses EL-34's.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:28 PM

Most will say about 100 hours...

Your amp is based around a GREAT tube. You might try some NOS vintage EL-34's in that amp. Can make a HUGE difference.