AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tuners

Tuners FM, HD, Satellite

Old 11-01-2014, 05:52 PM
McKlipschead

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
That makes sense. The regular 108 has a SS power supply, then?
From the MD website:

A separate CLASS A audio stage was designed. Using components and technology, worthy of the signal being received from the front end, the audio stage, using two 12 AX 7 tubes in the final stage and a discrete amplification system is designed to capture the ambiance of the music.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 11-03-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyc View Post
There used to be an MR88 in my main rig, but local HD radio stations changed their format from 24-hour blues, rock, jazz and classical to pop 40, easy listening and country in less than a year. The FM section of the MR88 sounded the same as my MR85, very smoothe and pleasing to the ear, so the MR88 had to go since HD radio stations were changing for the worse around here. My MD-108 has tubes in the line stage, and offers a livelier sound than the MD-108T, not quite as reticent and polite, which I prefer for rock and blues. Tried a WireWorld Platinum Electra power cord on the MD-108 and it became a little too forward for my liking, really jumped out of the speakers in your face. Switched to an AudioQuest NRG-Wild power cord and the forwardness was gone, exactly the sound I was hoping for from the MD-108, couldn't be more pleased. My MD tuners are very power cord dependent for sound, but when you get it right there is no better IMO

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
I read your post and it almost confirms I may have made the wrong choice of tuner! Since I was looking for a smooth and pleasing presentation, I should have gotten the MR-88.

My MD109 had to go back to the factory because there was a problem with it. It was playing terrible and had no bass. Magnum found the problem and I am supposed to get it back finally this week. I am very anxious to ear it again and even play with the tubes if possible to make it sound smoother, but I fear I will be wasting my time and should have gotten the MR-88...

Old 11-03-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
I read your post and it almost confirms I may have made the wrong choice of tuner! Since I was looking for a smooth and pleasing presentation, I should have gotten the MR-88.

My MD109 had to go back to the factory because there was a problem with it. It was playing terrible and had no bass. Magnum found the problem and I am supposed to get it back finally this week. I am very anxious to ear it again and even play with the tubes if possible to make it sound smoother, but I fear I will be wasting my time and should have gotten the MR-88...

I wouldn't poo poo your 109 just yet, but I can understand being upset with having to send it back. I'm sure the 109 is a heck of a tuner.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:12 AM

Curious what the problem was. Please let us know.

I have listened to the MR88 a lot and would not trade my MD107t for it.

Give it a fair chance when you get it back. I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

Shindo D'Yquems
Shindo Vosne Romanee
Devore 0/96
Luxman PD-171
Dynavector xx2 MkII
Luxman DA-06
Mac Mini
Magnum Dynalab MD 107t
Shindo and A23 Cables
Old 11-04-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLG4EVR View Post
Curious what the problem was. Please let us know. I have listened to the MR88 a lot and would not trade my MD107t for it. Give it a fair chance when you get it back. I think you may be pleasantly surprised.
Yeah I know I know ... I will contain my impatience! I will let it burn in quite a bit before making any emotional move! At least this is what my dealer advised me as well :-).

As for the issue I had with my 109, not sure exactly. MD said they changed the tubes (they most have been damaged during transport I guess) and changed the RF module. Given the unit came right from the factory, I assume shipping most have played a role. MD was extremely nice and proactive about it thought I must admit. When the dealer called them to describe what I was seeing with the unit, they asked for the unit back right away!

So maybe in essense I have never really eard a proper MD109T?

Jacques
Old 11-07-2014, 11:23 PM

Magnum Dynalab's customer service is excellent. I also have the benefit of living in the same city their office is located and they are wonderful to deal with, if sometimes a bit expensive. Mcintosh also has excellent customer service. Years ago I had a MR85 and a couple of months after recieving it the display would malfunction intermitently. I notified my dealer who in turn notified Mcintosh. They shipped me a brand new one while we shipped back the old one. Amazing.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:09 AM

Yeah, jim and larry at MD are great to deal with. They are shipping me back the md109 tomorrow on monday. They were waiting for a silver face plate since i had decided to change the color of the face while i sent it badk to them. Cant wait to get it back and listen to it again...
Old 11-09-2014, 07:45 PM

I love my 88,
Not only is it old school attractive, the digital scrolling display can easily be disabled if one likes,
And it mates well with the rest of my Mac gear.
Being a satellite subscriber as well, that's a bonus with this unit,
.. thumbs up! ... my 2 cents
Old 11-12-2014, 09:09 AM

I finally received my MD109 tuner yesterday from Magnum. It does seem to sound better then when I got it. I will continue to let it burn in a bit but I still wonder if I would not get a more laid back and lush sound with the McIntosh tuner instead. I will try swapping the tubes on my MD109 tonight. Not sure if anyone has experience with tube swapping on the MD. I was recommended to try to Jan-Philipps 6922 instead of the Electro-Harmonix that came with the unit...

Dont get me wrong the MD109 seem like a fine unit. Maybe I just have false expectation regarding a Tuner versus a computer server source but is it normal my music server has so much more body then even the best FM channel on my tuner? Am I fighting a lost cause! :-(

Anyway will try the new tubes tonight to see if it changes anything.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jacques.......Glad to hear your Magnum Dynalab tuner is back home. Something to remember, no matter the quality level of a tuner, you will always be the recipient of the signal quality being broadcast. There is a great deal of signal processing going on before the audio makes it to the transmitter. There are some FM stations that pride themselves in broadcasting an ultra clean signal with the least compression. Then there are those stations that compress the hell out of their signal trying to broadcast the loudest signal farther than the other stations in their market. Often, the very best signals are broadcast from college radio stations affiliated with the PBS radio network. Also, don't overlook the importance of a high quality antenna and lead-in cable from the antenna to your receiver. We are talking about microvolts being captured by your antenna and every little thing matters when trying to ensure the best reception.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A