AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 02-25-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreginNH1 View Post
My wife has owned six Grand Cherokees over the last 20 years. Just for grins, she looked at and drove the Lexus GX 460. The Grand Cherokee Limited was immediately forgotten and traded in for the Lexus.

Essentially a Japanese Range Rover.
I have the 2016 GX 460, and love it. My wife keeps trying to take it from me. I had a couple of Jeep Grand Cherokees in the late 90's. They were awful cars that always broke down. It was almost as bad as my Audi S4 in terms of reliability, and that was constantly in the shop.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:21 AM

Default Jaguar F Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHV View Post
Al, the wife, has finally agreed that it's time to replace "Kelly", her 10 y/o Cayenne S with 190,000 mile on the clock. After looking at all of the usual suspects, including the new Jaguar SUV, it's down to Mecan S and the Jeep Cherokee Summit with the Hemi V8. Anyone have experience with the Jeep which seems to be her choice.

Steve
Steve, We are looking hard at the F Pace for my wife to replace a Subaru Tribeca. What caused you to leave it out of your final consideration?
Old 03-01-2017, 10:11 AM
Retired

If you can put up with a Chevrolet, look at the top-of-the-line Equinox with the V6 & AWD. In 120K+ miles have had zero repair dollars. Is top rated by JD Powers for a reason. Excellent reliability, economy & comfort. With 306hp it can definitely get down the road and offers very good handling for an SUV. To maximize off-road and bad weather handling would recommend the taller 17" tire/wheel combo over the 18" low profile.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-01-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klh007 View Post
Steve, We are looking hard at the F Pace for my wife to replace a Subaru Tribeca. What caused you to leave it out of your final consideration?
Over all, I was impressed with the F Pace. Wife felt it was not as "refined" as other options (that cost more!!)...My reservation is that this is first year for Jag. SUV, are bugs worked out?

Steve
Old 03-01-2017, 01:06 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbuster View Post
Volvo XC90 - game over!

Superb handling, luxury and comfort + gas mileage than cannot be beat in a larger SUV.
I believe the XC90 won Motor Trends and Car And Driver's SUV of the year in 2016. We're taking a look at those SUVs as well, so,far Imwas most impressed with the Volvo in its class.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 03-01-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishphan View Post
I have the 2016 GX 460, and love it. My wife keeps trying to take it from me. I had a couple of Jeep Grand Cherokees in the late 90's. They were awful cars that always broke down. It was almost as bad as my Audi S4 in terms of reliability, and that was constantly in the shop.
Wife loves the Jeep Summit with Hemi but has gotten cold feet after reading very mixed reviews on reliability. Her standard is a fully loaded Cayenne S but doesn't want to spend ~$95k. I think she is evolving toward a 1 to 2 y/o Cayenne S for $70-75k.

Steve
Old 03-03-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHV View Post
Over all, I was impressed with the F Pace. Wife felt it was not as "refined" as other options (that cost more!!)...My reservation is that this is first year for Jag. SUV, are bugs worked out?

Steve
Steve, I see your point about first year bugs, Jaguar has come a long way in terms of reliability but a new model can always have some hiccups.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klh007 View Post
Steve, I see your point about first year bugs, Jaguar has come a long way in terms of reliability but a new model can always have some hiccups.
On the plus side is that the F-Pace wasn't designed/built in isolation but shares platform with other Jaguar models and the new Rover Velar, so hopefully fewer "first year" problems.

Steve
Old 03-04-2017, 06:12 PM

The new line of Volvo cars are unfortunately infested with first year bugs. Guess thats the price you'd have to pay to be an early adopter.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:39 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
The new line of Volvo cars are unfortunately infested with first year bugs. Guess thats the price you'd have to pay to be an early adopter.
What kind of bugs have you heard about or experienced with the XC90? My wife and I were going to begin looking around this spring.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3