AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 04-02-2013, 06:09 PM

Welcome Bluemeanies.You should consider becoming a subscriber.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the Welcome and invitation. Being a subscriber will be something to consider.

Being a newbie I am unable to start any threads. I have a few questions about improving my dedicated HT room in regards to my equipment. Limited funds are an issue compared to the systems I see on this forum. I have to say I appreciate the systems that I have viewed here which seem to be mostly dedicated two channel.
Seeing these systems in people's homes is a reality check to seeing these products at a Home Theater Show or the CES Show.
I would love to take a tour of these systems. In fact I think it would be a great TV series for the serious of heart Audiophiles. With all of the garbage TV reality shows out there I think it could promote the business both for 2channel systems and 5.1,7.1 and beyond.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:02 PM

I had one horror story happened to me recently...

My best friend is an audiophile as much as I am and we like to listen to our respective systems and gives appreciation.

3 months ago, I bought a pair of Totem Mani-2 Signature. Although they are bookshelf speakers, they are somewhat power hungry. No problem, my MC-252 can handle this. But I was curious how my new speakers would sound in HIS system. The weather was bad one day and neither of us were working so we decided it would be the day to try my speakers in his home.

He has a very nice integrated amplifier; a Lavardin IS Reference 38W. Minimalist design but surprisingly good considering the size and power rating. Lavardin prides themselves in designing low power but effecient amplifiers.

After a drive of 20 minutes, I finally arrive and we set up everything in place. Kick in a few CDs. It sounded good. I then said, "yeah, the Mani-2 Sig can do more than that!". So we cranked the sound level quite a bit. After a few minutes, everything stopped. Dead quiet. Oh oh...

We said, ok, we will let it cool down a bit... During that time, I remembered that my speakers are 4 ohms rated... Hummmm...

I told my buddy about that. We decided to check the ohm rating of the amplifier. Written in small characters at the back of the amp is 5-8 ohms. We looked at ourselves and said, well, yeah

"Okay" we said, let's fire this up.

Nothing.

Humm.

Okay, let's check the fuse then. Okay, it was blown. We then said "yeah, got it". Changed the fuse for a spare one (included with the amp). Fire this up and BZZZZZ. Nothing. Check the fuse again. Blown again.

Okay, let's go buy some more fuse we decided. After a 1 hour drive back and forth, we installed a new fuse and BZZZZZZZZ again.

We decided it was time to stop for now.

After a 6 weeks wait for the audio repair shop to contact him to tell him what was the problem, we were told that the output transformers blew up. And a nice price tag of 400$ in repairs.

I felt myself guilty and I told him upfront that I would pay half of the repairs. I forgot about the ohms rating of my speakers and my friend was not aware that his amp could not do 4 ohms. I think it was fair from my part.

Lesson learnt. I no longer move my stuff around. The more you move it, the more chance it can be damaged. And I will no "forget" anymore I guess to check the ohms rating.

Serge

Last edited by Parabellum; 04-02-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:47 PM

The Mani-2 According to my friend are a very difficult load to drive so amp selection should be carefully considered.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:13 PM

Serge. Let your frind join the McIntosh club! Joke aside. I don't think it was the only matter of capability of ohms maybe you guys just cranked too loud.

I had a Totem Mani 2 sig for a while it's excellent speakers indeed.

Sent from my Note II using A.Aficionado