AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 03-08-2019, 09:44 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
^^^ Super Cool, thanks for sharing Terry!

Hi Ivan,

Hey it's kinda nice when the older guys put out the (Effort & Time) to stay in contact with one another.

Heck I've got buddies that live within an hour of where I'm sitting and never-ever even hear from them anymore.

Luv the Home Theater since it's latest Up-Dates.

Terry

Mitsubishi New 16-Seer, 24,000 BTU Split-Unit ... for Heating/Cooling & Humidity control of Home Theater
Marantz Pre-Amp Processor: ... AV8805
Panasonic DP-UB9000 New ... HDR 4K UHD Blu-ray Player:
Roku: New ... 2022 Ultra HD-4K-HDR-Atmos Streaming Player
JVC RS4100 New ... Laser Projector
Lumagen Radiance Pro New ... 4242 18G Ultra HD Video Processor
Stewart Filmscreen: New ... Stewart StudioTek 130 G4 123" 16x9 W/4-Way Remote Masking
JML Speakers ... 2-JM Lab Utopia Mezzo Front, 2-Side Utopia, 2-Rear Mini Utopia
Focal Sopra ... Center Channel
Triad Atmos New ... 6 Triad Custom Repeat Gold 8 Mini Monitor Plus in-ceiling speakers W/Matching Flat Black Grills
SVS PB16-Ultra Subwoofers New ... 4 PB-16 ULTRA Subs
Transparent Speaker Cables ... Transparent TW Plus HP 10-2 W/Plus Bricks
Classe' Amps ... 2-CA201, 1-CAM-350, 2-CA-M400
ATI AT526NC New ... ATI AT526NC 6 Channel Amp for
6 Triad Atmos in-ceiling speakers
A/C Power New ... All Separate 20-Amp Circuits W/Dedicated Hospital Grade Receptacles
Richard Gray Power Conditioners New ...
1- RGPC-1200S, 9-RGPC-400S
Panamax MB1500 ... 2023 New 1500VA UPS Battery Backup for JVC RS4100 laser projector
Eaton ... Ultimate Home Surge Protection
CRITEC TDX100M New ... Modular Series Home Transient Voltage Surge Suppressor
HT Components/Gear Cooling ... 3-sets of Z-Fans, Cool-Stack I, Suncourt Variable Speed Thru Wall Fan
ATM ... Active Thermal Management Cool Stack 1 Exhaust Fan Assembly
Home Theater Component Mid Atlantic Rack ... Slide-Out 50" Track
Sanus CFR1620 ... Modular open-frame component rack with Middle Atlantic 4-Post H/D Shelves
Room Acoustic ... Acoustic Innovations panels
Seating ... Ekornes Stressless Wave
Rosco Velour Black 6003 ... 2-coats of Black primer.
Then 2-coats of Full-Strength Rosco #6003 UN-Diluted to complete Dedicated Home Theater
Area Shag Rug New ... Liliah Deep Black Low-Shag by Andover Mills 12' x 15' Rectangle Area-Rug
Custom Calibrated H/T New ... Chad Billheimer on September 4th 2023 did my JVC RS4100.
The results were 100% Totally Awesome I Highly recommend his services. https://www.hdtvbychadb.com/home-1.html
Old 03-09-2019, 04:54 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Hi Prepress,

Yes I have that as my buddy sent me that with other 4K disc.

Also he sent this one to me and it's an Awesome looking & sounding arrangement.

Terry
I can see the photos now. Not sure why I couldn't before. They're still amazing. A lot of work went into this setup. I imagine it sounds as good as the pictures suggest, too!
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 03-10-2019, 11:06 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
I can see the photos now. Not sure why I couldn't before. They're still amazing. A lot of work went into this setup. I imagine it sounds as good as the pictures suggest, too!
prepress,

I'm glad you now can and did get to see the pictures I posted.

The newly greatly up-dated HT is truly awesome sounding as well as the now totally outstanding video portion.

As my wife said once it was completed and she was walking up the stairs to it.
Terry it now looks like a Commercial Theater and to me that said it all.

Terry

Mitsubishi New 16-Seer, 24,000 BTU Split-Unit ... for Heating/Cooling & Humidity control of Home Theater
Stewart Filmscreen: New ... Stewart StudioTek 130 G4 123" 16x9 W/4-Way Remote Masking
Triad Atmos New ... 6 Triad Custom Repeat Gold 8 Mini Monitor Plus in-ceiling speakers W/Matching Flat Black Grills
A/C Power New ... All Separate 20-Amp Circuits W/Dedicated Hospital Grade Receptacles
Panamax MB1500 ... 2023 New 1500VA UPS Battery Backup for JVC RS4100 laser projector
HT Components/Gear Cooling ... 3-sets of Z-Fans, Cool-Stack I, Suncourt Variable Speed Thru Wall Fan
Sanus CFR1620 ... Modular open-frame component rack with Middle Atlantic 4-Post H/D Shelves
Then 2-coats of Full-Strength Rosco #6003 UN-Diluted to complete Dedicated Home Theater
Area Shag Rug New ... Liliah Deep Black Low-Shag by Andover Mills 12' x 15' Rectangle Area-Rug
Custom Calibrated H/T New ... Chad Billheimer on September 4th 2023 did my JVC RS4100.
The results were 100% Totally Awesome I Highly recommend his services. https://www.hdtvbychadb.com/home-1.html
Old 03-26-2019, 11:52 AM

Post Speaking of the JVC RS4500 Laser projector and it's performance ...

Good morning guys,

You know I was thinking of posting this a few different places on AVS.
Then the more I thought about it I actually think I much prefer to (Share) this with my fellow owners and even prospective owners.

You know as so many of us know we can always see & read all the on going, never-ever-ending (Negative) comments on any given projector.
That includes the JVC RS4500 when it very 1st was introduced to the market place by Magazine Reviewers as well as New Owners.
Then JVC in a very-very short Time-Frame JUMPED up and made Firmware changes and then the same Magazine-Reviewers and of course the New Owners were THRILLED with it.
And after all the extensive research I have done before & actually after I purchased mine my (Opinion) is the RS4500 is simply "AWESOME".
I now have 1,300 Hours Plus on mine already in less than 5-months of ownership.
And because of what I have seen, read, and personally observed from it's performance brings me to this very post.

I watched the complete Limited NETFLIX Series GODLESS yesterday with no interruption.
I started really early and completed all 7-episodes that evening so it was a long series for one sitting but me being retired I can do that sort of thing.
I actually streamed it using my ROKU Ultra and it was in HDR 5.1 Audio and it was flawless with the video as well as the audio.
Guys, if your a fellow that loves WESTERNS ???
This is not to be missed I promise you but if you are a family man with smaller children you might want to view it Without them.

Now to the reason I'm sharing this ...............
The series is without doubt Adult material but if you like Westerns that have ACTION, NUDITY, Bad-Guys, Good-Guys, great Story-Line and then as a real bonus.
It's in HDR with 5.1 Audio and viewing it my RS4500 automatically switched to (High-Laser) so guys the Bright Scenes were AMAZING and the Detail was perfect.
Colors were as one would expect from an HDR movie and especially viewing on the 4500 laser.
This to me was just as good as if it were on a 4K HDR disc.
I couldn't believe the BRIGHT Scenes in the daytime as they were Jaw-Dropping guys !!!
The Detail as I said was as perfect as anyone would ever hope to be viewing.

Now, some of you know I have a dedicated (DARK-BLACK-CAVE) for viewing.
You also in some cases know that I'm viewing on a Stewart Firehawk 1.35 gain, 120" 16x9 W/4 way remote masking screen.
(For those wondering how frequently I use the masking I did on this NETFLIX GODLESS series)
I also have a Samsung HVAC unit to cool the H/T and especially the RS4500.
Well, here are the facts guys as to my experience yesterday with my system and streaming the NETFLIX GODLESS series.
I had the Samsung preset at 74-degrees and set the fan on low the day before.
I did not change the temperature to a lower setting I left it right where it was to see what would take place with the 4500 and it's internal fans.
Happy to report to you guys interested the fans NEVER-EVER RAMPED-UP to the TURBO-Mode.
In-Fact I checked them all through the day as I came and went with putting my hands up to the Front-Air-Deflectors.
I'm not the expert on how many speeds the internal fans have but if they are simply like the Samsung on Automatic those speeds vary according to the heat generated and the H/T temperature.
They were not on LOW for sure but they never ramped-up to the really high-speeds and certainly not the Turbo-Mode.
So there was no real need for me to have the H/T temperature at the 73-degrees as I have had in the past.
And I think this was a really good test as I was watching this series all day long and into the early evening.

You know as I sit here at this computer I'm really trying my best to think of what I think you guys might like to know.
Okay, my (Opinion), if you have not watched something in HDR or 4K Ultra HDR on specifically (HIGH-LASER) on a smaller screen like mine with Gain you cannot maybe truly appreciate why I am so THRILLED with my given set-up.
(I should mention mine (RS4500) was Custom Calibrated along with the Audio by Chad B)
I'm serious guys if you were to see the GODLESS NETFLIX Series in my H/T when the DAYLIGHT scenes were shown you just cannot believe what the RS4500 can produce for BRILLIANCE/BRIGHT image wise.
I'm saying as a Fact from my personal observations the RS4500 is truly a Bad-Ass-Machine and will remain so no matter what comes down the pike with newer development.
Anyone that can get one of these and has a normal size screen that JVC built & designed it for will Never-Ever IMHO be disappointed.

You will also notice that Chad B set-up my Marantz AV8805 to automatically change to the best audio selection as it did here.

Here are some pictures below I took to share with you as always.
A post of mine without pictures guys just wouldn't really be me, now would it.

NETFLIX GODLESS Link below,
https://www.netflix.com/title/80097141

Terry

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html

Old 04-11-2019, 10:34 AM
That's a Deusy !

Hi Terry,

I noticed you were using aurelex pad and wondered about your opinion of them and what kind of difference you noticed?
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 04-11-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lax View Post
Hi Terry,

I noticed you were using aurelex pad and wondered about your opinion of them and what kind of difference you noticed?
Hi Doug,

These pictures were taken back in 2011 when I did at that time I did major changes.

In my case the pads were actually dual-purpose.
On the back wall to the H/T is the kitchen and of course cabinets on that wall.
So, Cathy (Wife) was worn-out on the dishes vibrating when I was in the H/T doing my thing.
They pretty much stopped that from happening.
Of course they didn't 100% stop it but greatly helped !!!

The other sets that were under the Mirage BPS400 sub-woofers in the Left & Right front area of the H/T and isolated them from the floor below.
My H/T is actually a bonus room over the 2 1/2 car garage below.

Now, how much of a difference do they make in actual (improved-Sound-Bass)
That buddy I really, honestly think would call for someone way the heck over my abilities for Audio.

I can say overall if the decision was to be made again I would do the exact same thing for sure.

Here are the pictures of the Techs sizing & cutting them to fit as perfect as possible under the four (4) Mirage BPS400 sub-woofers below.
Those guys were really-really good.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 04-11-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:10 PM

Post Exchanged the Panasonic UB820 to the Higher-End Panasonic UB9000 ...

Greetings,

Okay, I just yesterday got the text and call from the local G/M (Ben) at Best Buy that the Panasonic UB9000 did come in on the truck.

So, loaded-up the Panasonic UB820 I had to take in for Credit.
Then that Credit went towards the purchase of the UB9000.
Have to say that meeting Ben Sams again was just as much fun as the 1st time we met when I purchased the UB820 from him.
He is certainly a 100%, "Stand-Up-Guy" .........
After we completed everything in regards to the UB820 & UB9000 he took me back to one of the Magnolia Demo Rooms to demo some of the new/latest speakers they now have.
And he did crank it up so there was no-doubt at all that they would Rock & Roll.
We chatted for awhile and he said to me, Terry even if your not needing anything drop by and say hello on occasions.

Well, let's get down to the new/latest UB9000 and what I think.
I'll make this short and to the point.
It is without doubt a night and day's difference between the UB820 & UB9000 in build quality.
The UB820 is like a Super-Light-Weight (Walmart-Special) that if it were to stop working you would just throw it away and go get another.
Note* (Not really all that bad guy's so don't PANIC but seriously you cannot compare the two units in build-quality).

I do want to mention some names, Craig, Chuck, Mike, Mark, Kris for your information and advise guys as always it's appreciated.

The way I did the install after thinking about how to go about it was the following method.
I watched multiple You-tube install videos and instantly noticed the set-up menus were very-very similar for both players.
Also the rear of them was very similar.
So, I decided after watching those videos to sit down, power up my system, and take close-up pictures of every Set-Up-Menu for my UB820.
I took a picture of where the cables plugged in the rear of it just to be safe.
Then when I UN-Boxed the UB9000 it was simply a matter of going through each on screen menu and looking at the picture of each on my Samsung cellphone.
When I got to a menu that had different choices it was simple as I had already seen them about the UB9000 in the videos so knew what to choose.
The set-up went exceptionally smooth .............

Something I did do for those that might be interested I got Cathy (Wife) to come to the H/T and watch with me the redone Blade Runner in 4K HDR.
I knew it had the Darker shadows as well as BRIGHT scenes I wanted to see.
What I did do to get Cathy's opinion was to turn On & Off the "Optimizer" feature.
And for those interested it was (instantly) an improvement guys with the RS4500 as a stand alone base Laser projector.
(No Panamorph Lens or Lumagen)
The picture guys was OUTSTANDING !!!
So if you happen to be a poor fellow like myself this UB9000 with it's added features for a projector might very well be something to consider.
Think of it like this, Retail for Lumagen $5K or this Panasonic UB9000 for $1K US dollars.
Note* I am not in anyway suggesting that the UB9000 will or does or can perform like the Lumagen as that's just not even the case.

Something I have picked-up on that I feel I should mention before moving on.
And really after watching and listening multiple times myself and sitting back thinking about it, it does actually make perfect sense.
I set mine on the selection for Luminance at, "Basic Luminance Projector".
But, here is what I have found out guys, if I were to select one of the other Brighter Luminance Selections the "Optimizer" would be of little to No-Benefit.
It's also of little benefit to the much-much brighter Flat Screen T/V's as they are so BRIGHT that the "Optimizer" feature has little to No effect on improving the picture.
If though you have a projector like the JVC RS4500 that doesn't produce Huge Brightness like say the Sony ES5000 then this UB9000 is a really good choice I think.

Well, I'm not a Kris Deering or Chad B or any of the other Pro's on AVS that could explain what I attempted above but hopefully you get the general idea.

As I said above we both watched the below 4K HDR movie and I did turn On & Off the "Optimizer" feature and it did make a noticeable improvement.
Thank-You Tom Cochran for the below 4K HDR movies buddy.

Below are the pictures I took as I am a guy that believes pictures add so much to other members in a post.

I just finished boxing up the UB820.
And as it turned-out it still had the batteries in the plastic, as well as the remote, and all packing just as I received it from Best Buy.
I originally ordered a Back-lighted remote to use with the UB820.

Just arrived at Best Buy maybe a 20-minute drive.
If your wondering I'm parked all the way in the furthest parking area as always.
As I WARN people don't ride with me if you have any physical impairments.

And now I'm meeting Ben Sams.

Ben had one of his Manager's do the return and Ben is holding up the Best Buy Gift-Cards to use on the UB9000 purchase.

Ben took me back to the Magnolia Center where the Panasonic UB9000 was.
Something interesting was the look on their faces when they picked-up the UB9000.
It's as I recall like 17-Lbs. compared to 5 Lbs. for the UB820.

I did elect to purchase the 4-year extended warranty for $80.00 US Dollars which provides Full-Replacement or Credit if purchased in the Magnolia Area.

And of course I wanted in on the picture thing.

I decided to take the Bad-Boy-Machine, Audi RS3 out to exchange the players.
Here is the UB9000 getting ready for the drive back to it's new H/T.

Leaving Best Buy.

Back home and in the H/T ready to start the UN-Boxing and Set-Up.

Here it is actually mounted in the rack.

Here was something that caught my Attention.
The pictures might not show this clearly.
When my selection was on DVD/BD.
The VIDEOS symbol was Lit-Up in Yellow.
Since the 4K HDR BD was the correct Selection.
I changed it and it Lit-Up then in Red.

As you can see I Selected, "ON" for the "Optimizer" feature.

I also Selected, "Basic Luminance Projector" which is actually, 350 Nits.
This ^^^ along with the "Optimizer" work great with the RS4500.

That's all the pictures and information guys.
I know for the Pros this post will be of no use but maybe for a member that has not lots of experience this might possibly be helpful, maybe ???

Terry

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, August 25th 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html

Old 08-25-2019, 10:49 PM

Super nice! Love the make over.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:08 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofan1 View Post
Super nice!
Love the make over.

Audiofan1,

I'm loving this new Panasonic UB9000.
It's doing exactly as it should on 4K & 4K HDR movies.

The new make-over really makes a difference to this H/T that's for sure.

Terry

Old 08-26-2019, 03:06 PM
Life is beautiful

Terry, your posts are always a fun read.
Thank you for sharing.
Enjoy the new player!

How's your beautiful big cat doing by the way?
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables