AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 11-08-2019, 04:38 AM

I note that in the pic supplied by Jim that the spike tip sets directly on the carpet on the floor. I came very close to buying an XLF. But I never loved the XLF. There was no visceral or emotional attraction. I did not think the speaker had enough new technology. Before Daryl I always felt Wilson was a "cabinet" loudspeaker company. The woofers and Ti tweeter were 20 years old. Great components I grant you but there's been a lot of improvements over the course of 20 years. Daryl is really innovating. Every driver in the XVX is new. I am especially captivated by the new mids. Wilson build the world's best cabinets, IMO. No other manufacturer comes close.

It will be interesting to see what he does with the XLF platform. He is extremely creative. Right now at this point in audio history Wilson is at the heart of innovation when it comes to loudspeakers. This time alignment system is amazing and significantly more compact than with the WAMM. 99.99 of people will not consider a WAMM. Many people will consider an XVX. It's the absolutely largest speaker my room can take. It's amazing it will fit into my room.

I have noted that in the most recent Wilson full product line brochure the XLF is absent. I don't believe this is a mistake.

Last edited by Charles; 11-08-2019 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
Wow! That is one beautiful color. This speaker is, by far, the most visually appealing speaker that Wilson has made. It was stunning in person when I saw it in a static display at RMAF.

That room has got to be divine. What frequency are they using for the crossover for the subs? I would imagine pretty low? Maybe 30-35?
Wireworld platinum and gold cabling
Clearaudio Master Innovation with Goldfinger cartridge
Esoteric E03 phono
Esoteric D02X
Esoteric P02X
Aurender W20
HRS SXR-Signature
Old 11-08-2019, 08:22 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmd2010 View Post
Wow! That is one beautiful color. This speaker is, by far, the most visually appealing speaker that Wilson has made. It was stunning in person when I saw it in a static display at RMAF.

That room has got to be divine. What frequency are they using for the crossover for the subs? I would imagine pretty low? Maybe 30-35?
The Wilson ActixXO Stereo Controller is set to 30Hz at 18dB per octave. The Chronosonic XVX is run full range.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
The Wilson ActixXO Stereo Controller is set to 30Hz at 18dB per octave. The Chronosonic XVX is run full range.
There is not an external electronic active crossover that has ever been made that cannot easily be heard. When I got my Thor I read about the tremendous effort Wilson put into their WC HP filter. So I employed it for about 6-8 months absolutely certain that not running the Maxx3 full range was the way to go. I did not follow Wilson's recommendation to run the Maxx3 full range. I thought the system sounded great.

Then for some reason, I hooked everything up the way it was supposed to be. Everything sounded so much better, bass, extremely low base, mids, and treble. You don't know what your missing, until you hear it.

It is Wilson's ability to perform this uncanny feat of subwoofer integration with the main run full range that separates them bass wise from all other manufacturers, IMO. Yes their subs are extremely expensive. I have 63,800.00 in my system including my amp, Thor, speaker cable, power cords and conditioner, IC's, and WC. Mine is "cheap" compared to that setup but it sounds great. When I get my XVX installed I will continue to have a very cost effective very well thought system with absolutely zero wasted money.

I have always believed that noise floor is the key to resolution and resolution is the key to just about everything else. I use 2 AQ Niagara 5000's and all Dragon pc's on my 1.25KW's driving my Alexx; I use a Niagara 5000 to my 1.25KW and an AQ Dragon and Hurricane, Wolf, and Redwood complete the subwoofer system. I begin at my lightpole and whole house filtration. I use a Transguard Tg 60. (4) dedicated 20 amp lines no. 10 wire. I can turn every input up to 100% volume (tuner input excepted) with amps on and place my ear right next to the speaker: zero hum and zero hiss; absolute silence. I doubt even in that superb installation they can do this.

One other thing. If Momentums are used on those Subsonics, while they are adequate in terms of watts, they are being stressed. Wilson subs need a lot of watts.

Last edited by Charles; 11-08-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:27 PM
It is turned down!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
There is not an external electronic active crossover that has ever been made that cannot easily be heard. When I got my Thor I read about the tremendous effort Wilson put into their WC HP filter. So I employed it for about 6-8 months absolutely certain that not running the Maxx3 full range was the way to go. I did not follow Wilson's recommendation to run the Maxx3 full range. I thought the system sounded great.

Then for some reason, I hooked everything up the way it was supposed to be. Everything sounded so much better, bass, extremely low base, mids, and treble. You don't know what your missing, until you hear it.

It is Wilson's ability to perform this uncanny feat of subwoofer integration with the main run full range that separates them bass wise from all other manufacturers, IMO. Yes their subs are extremely expensive. I have 63,800.00 in my system including my amp, Thor, speaker cable, power cords and conditioner, IC's, and WC. Mine is "cheap" compared to that setup but it sounds great. When I get my XVX installed I will continue to have a very cost effective very well thought system with absolutely zero wasted money.

I have always believed that noise floor is the key to resolution and resolution is the key to just about everything else. I use 2 AQ Niagara 5000's and all Dragon pc's on my 1.25KW's driving my Alexx; I use a Niagara 5000 to my 1.25KW and an AQ Dragon and Hurricane, Wolf, and Redwood complete the subwoofer system. I begin at my lightpole and whole house filtration. I use a Transguard Tg 60. (4) dedicated 20 amp lines no. 10 wire. I can turn every input up to 100% volume (tuner input excepted) with amps on and place my ear right next to the speaker: zero hum and zero hiss; absolute silence. I doubt even in that superb installation they can do this.

One other thing. If Momentums are used on those Subsonics, while they are adequate in terms of watts, they are being stressed. Wilson subs need a lot of watts.

Charles
I can guarantee you that “lots of watts” does not mean a amp will control a speaker. When I A/B’d the Momentum vs my 1.2ks on my MBL 111f’s I was so shocked by how much better the. Momentum’s controlled the MBL’s that I had to double check I hadn’t been listening to them with the 1.2s out is phase.

AMP's: Momentum M-400's
Pre-amp: D'Agostino Momentum HD
Digital:dCS Vivaldi DAC, Clock & Upsampler
Analog:SME 20/3 , Esoteric E-03, Benz Ruby
Speakers: Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2
Cables: Transparent Opus Speaker & Interconnects & Power Cords
Cables on Digital Shunyata
Old 11-08-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Charles
I can guarantee you that “lots of watts” does not mean a amp will control a speaker. When I A/B’d the Momentum vs my 1.2ks on my MBL 111f’s I was so shocked by how much better the. Momentum’s controlled the MBL’s that I had to double check I hadn’t been listening to them with the 1.2s out is phase.
Jim, I understand that. I tried to use a 601 with my Thor. The difference between my 1.25KW from a 601 was striking. I don't know very much about MBL. I believe you made a post about the incompatibility of MBL with Mac on the Mac forum. But with my Alexx/Thor/1.25KW gear I have the best bass I have ever heard. It was striking how much the Wolf IC, Redwood cable, Niagara 5000 and Dragon power cords improved my base of the Thor. My bass is articulate and quick in the extreme with excellent pitch differentiation and tremendous weight when appropriate. I can tell you that those subs need a lot of power. They are at least 2 db less sensitive than my Thor. 800 per channel is adequate but I would probably want Progressions if I had those subs which are much more powerful than Momentums. I wouldn't hesitate to run XVX's with Momentums. They are about as efficient as the Alexx and my Alexx never need over 120 watts. I have music the puts the needle on the 1.25 KW at 1000 watts. My 1.25KW does a magnificent job on my Thor. I wouldn't swap it for a Momentum.

Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx soon to updated to a Wilson Audio Specialties XVX
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes enough to turn the room into a virtual anechoic chamber if desired; however, at present my room is significantly reflective giving me a bright, vibrant, dynamic, highly resolving, smooth sound free of harshness and grain and perfect for my taste; zero slap echo; gorgeous midrange
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house

Last edited by Charles; 11-08-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:06 PM

Another picture from the event:

Old 11-08-2019, 05:12 PM

Hey Charles - congratulations on the Wilson XVX purchase. You have an outstanding system in place already -

Looking though your signature, it appears you have no analog sources (assuming you use the digital out from the McIntosh MR87 tuner). Is that correct?
Has this already been extensively discussed?
Main - JRiver/Synology; Sonos; OPPO HA-1; Bryston B-cubed; Audio Physic Tempo Plus; 'Phones Audeze LCD-3 Office: iMac/JRiver and Spotify; NAD D3020 driving QAcoustics 3020. Media Room:, Samsung Plasma, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; Racks by Salamander; Kids - REGA RP1, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Hey Charles - congratulations on the Wilson XVX purchase. You have an outstanding system in place already -

Looking though your signature, it appears you have no analog sources (assuming you use the digital out from the McIntosh MR87 tuner). Is that correct?
Has this already been extensively discussed?
Thank you so much! I can tell you that a month ago I had no idea I'd have purchased an XVX. I only learned of it through this thread. But the minute I saw it I knew I had to have it. It wasn't a question of being dissatisfied with my Alexx at all. It was a situation of the XVX being my final speaker ultimate speaker.

Yes I use the digital input for the MR87. I grew up with vinyl, tape, and tubes. I always liked prerecorded tapes better than vinyl. I liked solid state better than tubes. I used to have many prerecorded tapes. I owned a Nakamichi Dragon for years. When CD came out I happily abandoned vinyl for good. Super expensive high end vinyl is a fairly recent phenomenon and something I don't choose to participate in. I have never felt that vinyl did justice to low frequencies. I also feel that digital has surpassed vinyl in terms of resolution and musicality. Vinyl is cultish to me.

I don't like tubes for much the same reason. Tubes and vinyl are for me more trouble than they are worth. I grew up with tubes. But I enjoy vicariously tremendously folks systems that are mainly tubes and vinyl on this website.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:38 PM

Picture from The Audio Salon event: