AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 09-14-2014, 09:32 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Listening to . . . Brahms Symphonies Nos. 1 and 3

From the recent Decca release Brahms - The Symphonies

Gewandhausorchester - Riccardo Chailly, Conductor

This set was the winner in the Orchestral section of the Gramophone Magazine 2014 recording of the year,

Excellent sound, excellent performances.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 09-14-2014, 09:45 PM

Presto Classical has all of its releases by Herbert von Karajan at up to 50% discount. I just ordered this 8 disc set, brand new in June of this year, which was included in the von Karajan discount because he is featured on a couple of the discs. I think this may be a winner, and the price is "right". ($24.25 USD)

Berliner Philharmoniker: Great Recordings

. . .

Beethoven:
Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 61
Anne-Sophie Mutter (violin)
Herbert von Karajan
Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 'Choral'
Julia Varady (soprano), Jard van Nes (mezzo), Keith Lewis (tenor), Simon Estes (bass)
Ernst Senff Choir, Carlo Maria Giulini

Brahms:
Piano Concerto No. 1 in D minor, Op. 15
Krystian Zimerman (piano)
Sir Simon Rattle

Mahler:
Symphony No. 9 in D major
Claudio Abbado

Schubert:
Symphony No. 8 in B minor, D759 'Unfinished'
Karl Böhm
Symphony No. 9 in C major, D944 'The Great'
Karl Böhm

Schumann:
Symphony No. 2 in C major, Op. 61
Rafael Kubelik
Symphony No. 4 in D minor, Op. 120
Rafael Kubelik

Strauss, R:
Eine Alpensinfonie, Op. 64
Herbert von Karajan

Wagner:
Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg: Overture
Wilhelm Furtwängler
Tannhäuser: Overture
Wilhelm Furtwängler
Tristan und Isolde: Prelude & Liebestod
Wilhelm Furtwängler
Parsifal: Good Friday Music
Wilhelm Furtwängler

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 09-14-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
I can never have too many Bruckner symphonies, so I tried...

Bruckner:
Symphony No. 8 in C minor
Symphony No. 9 in D minor
Wiener Philharmoniker, Carl Schuricht

This is part of the EMI Signature SACD Collection. Tonight I heard the D minor symphony and I really enjoyed it. The tempo are somewhat fast (56m24s) and it really works well. The VPO brass is glorious and Schuricht brings out details I had not heard before. The packaging is excellent with a luxurious booklet showing pictures of the actual master tapes (tape is red) used for the remastering. I think this release is a winner. I'll try the C minor symphony next.
I'm listening now to the Bruckner Symphony No. 9 in D minor from the set Carlos described above and think it marvelous. Late night and the fast tempo will get me to bed a little sooner.

This thing is great, as are all the EMI Signature SACD's I've tried.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Presto Classical has all of its releases by Herbert von Karajan at up to 50% discount. I just ordered this 8 disc set, brand new in June of this year, which was included in the von Karajan discount because he is featured on a couple of the discs. I think this may be a winner, and the price is "right". ($24.25 USD)

Berliner Philharmoniker: Great Recordings

Beethoven:
Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 61
Anne-Sophie Mutter (violin)
Herbert von Karajan
Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 'Choral'
Julia Varady (soprano), Jard van Nes (mezzo), Keith Lewis (tenor), Simon Estes (bass)
Ernst Senff Choir, Carlo Maria Giulini

Brahms:
Piano Concerto No. 1 in D minor, Op. 15
Krystian Zimerman (piano)
Sir Simon Rattle

Mahler:
Symphony No. 9 in D major
Claudio Abbado

Schubert:
Symphony No. 8 in B minor, D759 'Unfinished'
Karl Böhm
Symphony No. 9 in C major, D944 'The Great'
Karl Böhm

Schumann:
Symphony No. 2 in C major, Op. 61
Rafael Kubelik
Symphony No. 4 in D minor, Op. 120
Rafael Kubelik

Strauss, R:
Eine Alpensinfonie, Op. 64
Herbert von Karajan

Wagner:
Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg: Overture
Wilhelm Furtwängler
Tannhäuser: Overture
Wilhelm Furtwängler
Tristan und Isolde: Prelude & Liebestod
Wilhelm Furtwängler
Parsifal: Good Friday Music
Wilhelm Furtwängler
Good deal, Julian.

I feel badly for Deutsche Grammophon. They don't seem to have many of the legendary artists / orchestras left in the roster and most of their releases are reissues of recordings from their glory days.

Case in point...

Following in the footsteps of other great orchestras that have established their own independent record labels (such as the London Symphony Orchestra, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra and London Philharmonic Orchestra), in the spring of 2014 the Berliner Philharmoniker did likewise - launching its new CD label with a box-set of the complete symphonies of Schumann, conducted by Sir Simon Rattle.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:03 PM

Default Brahms: Ein Deutsches Requiem

Here is an oldie but goodie...

Brahms: Ein Deutsches Requiem, Op. 45
Charlotte Margiono, Rodney Gilfry
Monteverdi Choir, Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique, John Eliot Gardiner

This is one of the first classical discs I bought back in 1990. The choral signing by the Monteverdi Choir is excellent and Gardiner leads his superb ORR band for an outstanding version of the German Requiem. I think I'll take advantage of Presto Classical's 20% off sale for Gardiner's own SDG label (see my post above) which features a new performance of the piece.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Brahms: Ein Deutsches Requiem, Op. 45
Charlotte Margiono, Rodney Gilfry
Monteverdi Choir, Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique, John Eliot Gardiner

I think I'll take advantage of Presto Classical's 20% off sale for Gardiner's own SDG label (see my post above) which features a new performance of the piece.

I have this SDG Brahms Requiem. It is excellent, and I am a Brahms Requiem fanatic.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoove View Post
Beethoven The Revolutionary Symphony No. 5 Symphony No 3 Eroica Orchestre Revolutionnaire Et Romantique John Elliot Gardiner Conducting Archiv 445 945-2 (Redbook) A wonderful recording and performance on original instruments to match! Regards, Jim

I find this 5th to be one of my favorite. Pace is amazing!
Old 09-14-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Listening to . . . Music for Trumpet and Organ Alison Balsom - Trumpet Quentin Thomas - Organ Exceptional trumpeteering by Ms. Balsom - as is everything I've heard that she has done - and although she takes center stage, slightly overpowering the organ in the background, the effect is eerily beautiful - Close your eyes or turn off the lights and be whisked to a very believable live performance in your listening room. To me, my highest accolade is "just right" and this recording is just that. I listened to this last November and reported "Alison Balsom is my favorite trumpeter . . . but this is not my favorite Trumpet/organ recording. Too slow and draggy . . . not much life . . . not very interesting." but this morning, in a different mood and a different time of day, I really like it. Must not have really listened the first time and now, I'm glad I listened again.
Thanks. I need to check this out. She was in Houston this week for opening night.

A long time favorite of mine has been
Old 09-15-2014, 12:34 AM
A happy little vegemite..

Chailly in full flight with Friere in superb form, Emperor - wonderful.

I have the run of the place today.

I have moved the Magico's out and further apart today - much nicer - bigger, almost a proper soundstage now.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 09-15-2014 at 03:58 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:38 AM
A happy little vegemite..

Gosh the trumpet section is becoming more like the strumpert section...

First Alison Bolsom and now Tine Thing Helseth

and listening to this now...she plays as good as she looks...

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 09-15-2014 at 01:18 AM.