AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-21-2019, 10:45 AM

Thumbs up McIntosh C49 Solid State Preamplifier

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/new-products/C49

Quote:
Be prepared for future digital music technologies with the C49 Preamplifier. The C49 features our DA1 Digital Audio Module, which can be replaced by new modules as new digital audio technologies are developed. This will allow you to keep your C49 up to date with digital music formats and viable well into the future.

The C49 comes with a multitude of inputs. For analog, it has 2 balanced and 3 unbalanced, along with 2 phono inputs (comprised of 1 Moving Coil and 1 Moving Magnet) for connecting turntables. On the digital side, it has 6 inputs housed in the DA1 module. The inputs are: 2 coaxial, 2 optical, 1 USB and 1 proprietary MCT (for use with our MCT series of SACD/CD Transports). The DA1 is powered by an 8-channel, 32-bit Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC) that is used in Quad Balanced mode; it supports up to DSD256 and DXD 384kHz for playback of high resolution audio. In total, the C49 has 13 inputs, and each can be given user-friendly names to simplify system setup and control.

For connecting to your amplifier and the rest of your home audio system, the C49 has 2 balanced variable outputs, 2 unbalanced variable outputs, and 1 unbalanced fixed output. The outputs are designed for easy use when bi-amping your speakers so that neither your highs or lows are inadvertently turned off. Your audio sources can be fine tuned via the bass and treble tone controls. The C49 can be seamlessly integrated into your home theater system via Home Theater Pass Through. Power Control ports allow for the easy turn on/turn off of other connected McIntosh components, while the Data Ports can send remote control commands to connected source components. Our High Drive headphone amplifier with Headphone Crossfeed Director (HXD®) is also included.

The C49 comes complete with classic McIntosh design staples such as a black glass front panel, knobs, an illuminated logo and aluminum end caps. Pair it with a variety of amplifiers, turntables, CD players, tuners, speakers, power controllers and room correction devices to make a complete home audio system. Contact your local dealer to learn more.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:14 AM

Old 05-21-2019, 01:45 PM

Let the DAC module discussion begin
Old 05-21-2019, 01:49 PM

It's just a matter of time now before the C2600 and the C52 are replaced with units that have DA1 modules too.

Last edited by Stahle; 05-21-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:56 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Retail is $5000
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 05-21-2019, 09:19 PM

McIntosh has to keep up w/the times, let's be real if they're not offering flexible digital solutions, especially at their price point, they'll have a harder time w/a younger market. I hope they'll always keep pure analog products in their line to some degree, I think the C70 is a good sign of that.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:39 PM

Default McIntosh C49 Solid State Preamplifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
McIntosh has to keep up w/the times, let's be real if they're not offering flexible digital solutions, especially at their price point, they'll have a harder time w/a younger market. I hope they'll always keep pure analog products in their line to some degree, I think the C70 is a good sign of that.

I agree but I’m not young. I don’t have room for a bunch of components so a preamp with an upgradable DAC that I can keep for the next 15 or more years is music to my ears. To be honest, I wish they would offer the ability to add a tuner module as well, basically a MAC7200 minus the amp.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahle View Post
I agree but I’m not young. I don’t have room for a bunch of components so a preamp with an upgradable DAC that I can keep for the next 15 or more years is music to my ears. To be honest, I wish they would offer the ability to add a tuner module as well, basically a MAC7200 minus the amp.
I think they're giving us plenty of options right now, I've seen other people fly off the handle about the carbon fiber used on the 2152 signaling the end of the classic Mc look. If I was just buying Mc now I likely wouldn't mind the DAC in the 2600 (vs my 2300). In fact sometimes it's kind of a PITA to power up my DAC, change its input, change the 2300 to the DAC input and all that. I'm in my early 40's and still love using a tuner, I'm not sure how popular they are with younger people, although let's be honest a fresh out of school 22 year old is probably not looking at this gear just yet. Most of my friends I have that are huge music fans mostly use vinyl as their physical medium and streaming for digital, so I think Mc is going the right way personally. The MTI100 is the only product that really misses the mark for me.

I'm rambling, but I've seen so many "the sky is falling, Mc is losing touch" posts all over the Internet it seems like many are freaking out for no reason. Time moves on and people who bought new MR78s back in the day aren't going to be around forever.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear View Post
Let the DAC module discussion begin
Upgradeable modules make sense if they actually get upgraded. It would be awesome if McIntosh offered different DAC 'flavors' - for example a multi bit DAC as opposed to the ESS Sabre based DAC they use now.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 05-22-2019, 11:00 AM
Member Extraordinaire

Default Mcintosh C49

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/art...-preamplifier/

Amp: MC1.2KW x 2, MC602, MC2300
Preamp: C52, MX136, C34V
Digital Source: Oppo BDP 105, Pioneer 47Ai, CAL MkII
Analog Source: MT10, Technics RS 1700