AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-22-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJW View Post
Thank you.

I will say, I love, love, love the 275.
It wouldn’t be “audiophilia” if we didn’t sell an amplifier we “love,love,love” to throw another $20k on top to find out if “love” can be improved upon.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
I have now owned my pair of MC2301 power amplifiers for seven and a half years. The honeymoon is still in full swing. On any given day I am mesmerized from the first note to the last. These amplifiers make you forget about the gear. They are as transparent as premium crystal glass. They disappear, leaving only the music and you in the room. I am as enamored with my MC2301's today as I was on day one. For me, they are the perfect power amplifiers.

Aaarrrgggghhhh....must resist, must not read this anymore....

;-)

I’m very happy for you, Dan, that you have found your perfect power amps, they are keepers for sure...enjoy.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:27 PM

Also, from someone who has owned the MC452...MC601...now the MC2301s; (all in the past 3 years) All of those sounded pretty special and my upgrading was due in part of just wanting more of a good thing. As my $$ grew and overall system grew so did my budget. Which really meant there was NO budget

All that to say what most of us already know. McIntosh makes some truly fantastic amps and all have been a home run for me personally.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:55 AM
Bun E. Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timobi View Post
Yea NO ONE in 1000 mile radius had the 2301's to demo

I heard once but with a totally different setup in New Orleans. I got these based on the glowing reviews and knowing on worse case scenario I would just love them and not LOVE them

But I LOVE them. And I am still tweaking my room with treatments. Different cables etc..

Not sure where you live but you are more than welcome to come here my setup. I flew up to Milwaukee about 1.5 years ago to hear the Logan CLX. No one had them.

Boom. I own them.
Thank you for the offer, but I live in MI. Plenty of ++++ reveiws here for sure. Enjoy!!!
Old 05-23-2019, 05:56 AM
Bun E. Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
It wouldn’t be “audiophilia” if we didn’t sell an amplifier we “love,love,love” to throw another $20k on top to find out if “love” can be improved upon.
It’s a sickness for sure!
Old 05-23-2019, 08:15 AM

I have found the best place to spend your money are the speakers. I have used my current mc501 amps. with SF Cremona , Elipsa and now Stradivari speakers. With each speaker upgrade using the same amp. everything improved. I could have stuck with my Cremona speakers and just traded the 501’s for the mc2301 amps. but I would not have obtained the same dramatic increase in dynamics, bass, detail and soundstage improvements. Bottom line amps. are very important , but so is what your driving them with . What speakers are you using ?
Old 05-23-2019, 08:30 AM
Bun E. Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I have found the best place to spend your money are the speakers. I have used my current mc501 amps. with SF Cremona , Elipsa and now Stradivari speakers. With each speaker upgrade using the same amp. everything improved. I could have stuck with my Cremona speakers and just traded the 501’s for the mc2301 amps. but I would not have obtained the same dramatic increase in dynamics, bass, detail and soundstage improvements. Bottom line amps. are very important , but so is what your driving them with . What speakers are you using ?
McIntosh XR100’s. Love them!
Old 05-23-2019, 09:53 AM
Semi-audiophile

Slow moment at work so I've been reading this thread. This reminds me of me and my decision-making angst sometimes. I have no plans to own the 2301s, but would not dissuade anyone from getting them. By all accounts they are great amps.

I would look at all angles, including the practical, with as objective an eye as possible. Then I would know better what I was getting into if I chose to go ahead with the purchase. And, if you can afford the 2301s or can sell off enough stuff to afford them, you will be getting a set of amps that should hold you over for the rest of your audio life. They are that good.

As for me, given my circumstances, the size and weight are a turn-off, I'd be concerned about power tube failure (not as much of an issue as in the past, but I'm still skittish), the collateral expenses, and heat concerns (I'm very sensitive to heat and humidity; I'm even subtly aware of the heat my Kuro plasma generates 9 feet away). But that's me.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 05-23-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:09 AM

There's a pair on Agon right now! Priced a bit high I would say, but in the ballpark.
Parasound JC-1s (3), A-21
Kharma dB11-s Mains, Cremona M (center) Grand Pianos (rears)
JL Audio Gotham G213 V1(1) F-112V1(1) F-112V2(1)
Clearaudio Innovation Wood, Benz Micro Gullwing SLR Dynavector XX2 MK2 Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Audio Research Ref 2se phono
Lumin X1
Lumin S1
Oppo-205
AudioQuest Hurricane HC, Tornado HC(2), and Thunder HC, Diamond RJ/E
PS Audio P-10(2) AC-3, AC-5, AC-10 PCs.
(6) dedicated 20 amp circuits, (6)Furutech outlets.
(1) GDX-DR-NCF, (2) GDX-D Gold, (3) GDX-D Rhodium
AZ Absolute Copper, and Clear Day Audio solid silver Bal ICs.
WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables.
Rob
Old 05-23-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJW View Post
McIntosh XR100’s. Love them!
My suggestion would be to definitely stay "toobular" with all the titanium domage going on with the midranges and the tweeters....