AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:43 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Default Ethernet cables in for audition

Friday I received two Ethernet cables "rented in" for evaluation, the Audioquest Vodka and a Wireworld Starlight to competively benchmark against my current Ethernet reference, Audioquest Cinnamon, in my digital streaming front end configuration (which is an Ethernet->fiber->Ethernet->streamer/network bridge config). The cables under evaluation will go in between the downstream FMC to my Sonore microRendu streamer/network bridge.

The purpose of this evaluation is to just get a "lay of the competitive landscape" with respect to a handful of different Ethernet cables and see how things sort out.

I've been using AQ Cinnamon as the Ethernet cable since installing my Sonore microRendu at the end of 2016. Its a nice-sounding cable overall, John Darko also uses this particular model and likes it also, and at ~$80 for a 0.75M, its a good value for money. It certainly is quite a bit better-sounding than the ghastly-sounding Belden Cat6e cable I installed a while back.

I've also purchased Supra Cat8 Ethernet cables as they were suggested to me by a member in another audio forum. Acc. to him, many folks on (what used to be) Computer Audiophile really liked them. In reading a review on by Jay Luong on the review site Audio Bacon, I was intrigued enough to purchase a couple of these as they were only $54 & $64 each for 1M and 2M cables, respectively. If nothing else, I can use them from the Mac Mini to the network router and from the router to the upstream EoP Adapter.

If anyone here has an Ethernet cable lying around they're not using that they would like evaluated in this very informal, listening-only based eval, feel free to send it out to me and I'll throw it in to the mix. Promise to return it in short order.

Stay tuned...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 05-19-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:53 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Default Ethernet cables in for audition

I know you will be surprised with the Vodka, it’s a great built cable and I use this to my modem and switch - then from the switch is all Nordost.

I’m not familiar with Wireworld other than by name and know they have a real good reputation.

I do use Cinnamon throughout the house that perform well for what they are assigned.

Ethernet cables matter if your going to stream!
Old 05-20-2019, 02:44 PM
Cool, calm scientist

So, I put my Audioquest Cinnamon back into the streaming setup for a bit. It's a very nice-sounding Ethernet cable; reasonably spacious, natural and neutral with a hint of warmth in overall character. There's a nicely defined but somewhat smallish soundstage and good but not exceptional imaging. The soundstage does not extend past the sides of the speakers. By contrast, my $7 generic Cat7 cable sounds muffled, veiled, closed-in, dark, and notably rolled off on the top end. Cinnamon is not quite as extended or silky as the AQ Vodka during my first listen, but its quite similar overall in character and a good value for money.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:56 PM
Cool, calm scientist

I put the WW Starlight cable back in the system after Cinnamon. As previously mentioned, its a nice-sounding cable, too, its very quiet. The most notable attribute compared to AQ Cinnamon is that the soundstage is quite a bit wider than Cinnamon; it extends well past the sides of the speakers; Cinnamon's soundstage does not extend past the sides of the speakers. And, there is more space around each instrument and voice in the stereo image. The overall soundstage is on the two-dimensional side in that its not particularly deep front-to-back. The musical presentation is very neutral but more on the lean, cool side of neutral than the warmish-side of neutral. Vocals and instrumentals are clean and crisp, but a bit spare in presentation and body. String bass definition and articulation is excellent, and a just a touch dry and lean. Some sibilants can be a touch hot and/or bright, depending on the recording.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:51 PM
Life is beautiful

Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 05-20-2019, 04:47 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
LOL.

I've been posting my impressions on that other large audio forum, and, of course, all the "objectivists" have, very predictably, worked themselves completely up into a lather at the thought that an Ethernet cable could affect the sound. Power cables were bad enough...but Ethernet cables? Blasphemy! LOL.

It's pretty amusing...meanwhile, I just stay on-topic.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:02 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
LOL.

I've been posting my impressions on that other large audio forum, and, of course, all the "objectivists" have, very predictably, worked themselves completely up into a lather at the thought that an Ethernet cable could affect the sound. Power cables were bad enough...but Ethernet cables? Blasphemy! LOL.

It's pretty amusing...meanwhile, I just stay on-topic.

Stephen, I haven't compared Ethernet cables yet, but Ben, a mixing engineer - dealer - acoustics technician, whose ear I trust, strongly believes in their effect on sound.
And I trust your ear (and eye!) also.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 05-20-2019, 07:58 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Stephen, I haven't compared Ethernet cables yet, but Ben, a mixing engineer - dealer - acoustics technician, whose ear I trust, strongly believes in their effect on sound.
And I trust your ear (and eye!) also.
Well, they all sound slightly different, as to be expected. The good news is there's very good and affordable options available. The Audioquest Cinnamon, AQ Vodka, and WW Starlight all sound very nice and I feel are good values for their respective price classes. Even the mid-level $80 AudioQuest Cinnamon Ethernet sounds really quite good, especially if its well burned-in (as mine is...).

I have some Swedish Supra Cat8 coming by the 24th so I will be able to audition that, too; I've heard some good things about it. Apparently its not the most transparent Ethernet cable, but very musical and engaging to listen to. At $54/1M, what's not to like?
Old 05-20-2019, 09:06 PM

Non-believer hear........................unless you identify blindfolded and consistently pick correctly.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 05-20-2019, 10:39 PM
Cool, calm scientist

I'm llstening to the Audioquest Vodka, and it sounds very nice; its fuller and richer-sounding than Wireworld Starlight Cat 8, but the soundstage does not extend as wide. The soundstage with the WW Starlight Cat 8 extends well past the speakers and the separation of instruments in the sound field is larger and more spacious, the Vodka just from the middle to the outer edges of my floor-standers and instruments are not as spatially-separated as much as they are on Starlight. The Vodka is harmonically richer and fuller-sounding with greater dynamic slam than Starlight Cat8 and with a deeper soundstage front-to-back, but sting bass not as tightly defined and articulated; its a a bit looser and flabbier than Starlight Cat8. Starlight 8 is just on the lean side of neutral, Vodka is just on the warm side of neutral. Overall, I think I prefer Vodka to Starlight as it seems a bit more "musical", but both are very nice and I could easily live with either.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 05-20-2019 at 10:44 PM.