AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:28 AM

Coming back almost a year after I originally started this thread, my system has evolved and changed quite a bit.
To make a long story short, my PS Audio BHK Preamp is going out and a C1100 is coming in to replace it. Digital is currently done through a DS DAC with Bridge II card.

I want to finalize my setup by choosing the right DAC and Streamer combo and really need help from people who own/have heard the following components and can share their insight. After reading countless posts/reviews/product specs, I have narrowed my options to the following:

1. I keep the PS Audio DS DAC and I am done.
2. Buy Auralic Vega G2 (DAC and Streamer)
3. Buy D1100 (good match to the C1100) and add Auralic Aries G2
4. Buy D1100 and add Aurender N10
5. Buy Bryston BDA-3 and BDP-3

I have read many good things about the D1100 but don't know if it makes sense to pair it with a streamer that supports many formats and resolutions the DAC can not (Auralic), is this a waste of money?

Based on your experience, which of those combos will sound best?

I like the Auralic Vega G2 conceptually because I can keep building on it by adding the Aries G2 and the Leo later on. Since I have not heard any of them and not sure how well they would pair with a Macintosh system (MC601s), I would appreciate some pointers.

Thank you very much for all your help.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:57 AM
Retired

How important will MQA be in the future? Want it or not, it may be forced on us consumers by the folks who control the music. If so, at least one of your choices does not have that option.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 10-21-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
How important will MQA be in the future? Want it or not, it may be forced on us consumers by the folks who control the music. If so, at least one of your choices does not have that option.
Hey YB,

I want the option to stream MQA, which means that the N10 might not be a good choice here I assume.

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killergurt View Post
Coming back almost a year after I originally started this thread, my system has evolved and changed quite a bit.
To make a long story short, my PS Audio BHK Preamp is going out and a C1100 is coming in to replace it. Digital is currently done through a DS DAC with Bridge II card.

I want to finalize my setup by choosing the right DAC and Streamer combo and really need help from people who own/have heard the following components and can share their insight. After reading countless posts/reviews/product specs, I have narrowed my options to the following:

1. I keep the PS Audio DS DAC and I am done.
2. Buy Auralic Vega G2 (DAC and Streamer)
3. Buy D1100 (good match to the C1100) and add Auralic Aries G2
4. Buy D1100 and add Aurender N10
5. Buy Bryston BDA-3 and BDP-3

I have read many good things about the D1100 but don't know if it makes sense to pair it with a streamer that supports many formats and resolutions the DAC can not (Auralic), is this a waste of money?

Based on your experience, which of those combos will sound best?

I like the Auralic Vega G2 conceptually because I can keep building on it by adding the Aries G2 and the Leo later on. Since I have not heard any of them and not sure how well they would pair with a Macintosh system (MC601s), I would appreciate some pointers.

Thank you very much for all your help.
I am a huge fan of Auralic, and can emphatically recommend their G2 line. I would start with the Vega G2, and go from there. The Vega G2 is a far superior DAC to the D1100 (IMO), and using it stand alone or with the Aries G2 would yield a much better sound. Adding the Aries G2 gives you the ability to run Auralic's Lightning DS server, and can also deblur and fully play MQA files, where the Vega G2 alone cannot. The Leo GX external clock takes playback to the next level, and is tightly integrated via Auralic's Lightning Link connectivity. They also have the Sirius G2 upsampling processor coming out soon, which will complete the stack.

Very pleased with Auralic, highly recommended. Take a listen and compare if you can...you will not be disappointed.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:19 AM

Some of those setups seem lateral to the DS DAC in terms of sound quality. Why not set up your system with the new C1100 and evaluate it with that, then determine if you need to replace your DAC streamer? Then you can at least see if the DAC/Streamer by itself actually improved things. I'm the wrong person to ask this, as I have personally perceived almost negligible differences between most good DAC's and streamers, which is why i use a Node 2 and built in BluOs card in my setups.

Audio research LS28SE preamplifier, Aurender N10 Streamer, Topping D90 DAC, McIntosh MC462 amplifier. Focal Sopra 3 speakers. Salamander Archetype rack, Symposium Acoustics Segue shelves, Silver Eclipse 7 XLRs, Shunyata Everest power conditioner, Alpha V2, Delta V2 and Venom V2 10/12 power cords, and Audioquest Oak speaker cables. GIK Acoustic's bass soffits and 244 bass trap Art panels room treatments. Sony XBR75X900e 4K TV and Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray player
Old 10-21-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orosie View Post
I am a huge fan of Auralic, and can emphatically recommend their G2 line. I would start with the Vega G2, and go from there. The Vega G2 is a far superior DAC to the D1100 (IMO), and using it stand alone or with the Aries G2 would yield a much better sound. Adding the Aries G2 gives you the ability to run Auralic's Lightning DS server, and can also deblur and fully play MQA files, where the Vega G2 alone cannot. The Leo GX external clock takes playback to the next level, and is tightly integrated via Auralic's Lightning Link connectivity. They also have the Sirius G2 upsampling processor coming out soon, which will complete the stack.

Very pleased with Auralic, highly recommended. Take a listen and compare if you can...you will not be disappointed.
Thank you, yes, I like the Auralic products. The problem is that even if I find a dealer that can demo the G2 line, it is not likely to be setup in a Mac system.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killergurt View Post
Thank you, yes, I like the Auralic products. The problem is that even if I find a dealer that can demo the G2 line, it is not likely to be setup in a Mac system.

Auralic has a good return policy, you can probably just buy it and try it in your system, and return it for the cost of shipping if you don’t like it. Another alternative, I don’t know where you are in CA, but Upscale Audio in SoCal sells on line and might work with you to try the Auralic at home.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 10-21-2018, 12:40 PM

Personally, I think you will be spinning your wheels, as you are making to many changes at once. Your DirectStream DAC w/Bridge is fully capable of supplying high quality sound to your new preamp and speakers.
Keep your present source............at least for the next few months and see how you like your system. Only after that, experiment and demo a different DAC/Streamer. This way you have something you can compare it to. Otherwise you will continue the never ending merry-go-round.

Also, a new Free firmware upgrade is coming soon.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 10-21-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
Personally, I think you will be spinning your wheels, as you are making to many changes at once. Your DirectStream DAC w/Bridge is fully capable of supplying high quality sound to your new preamp and speakers.
Keep your present source............at least for the next few months and see how you like your system. Only after that, experiment and demo a different DAC/Streamer. This way you have something you can compare it to. Otherwise you will continue the never ending merry-go-round.

Ron
+1
Parasound JC-1s (3), A-21
Kharma dB11-s Mains, Cremona M (center) Grand Pianos (rears)
JL Audio Gotham G213 V1(1) F-112V1(1) F-112V2(1)
Clearaudio Innovation Wood, Benz Micro Gullwing SLR Dynavector XX2 MK2 Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Audio Research Ref 2se phono
Lumin X1
Lumin S1
Oppo-205
AudioQuest Hurricane HC, Tornado HC(2), and Thunder HC, Diamond RJ/E
PS Audio P-10(2) AC-3, AC-5, AC-10 PCs.
(6) dedicated 20 amp circuits, (6)Furutech outlets.
(1) GDX-DR-NCF, (2) GDX-D Gold, (3) GDX-D Rhodium
AZ Absolute Copper, and Clear Day Audio solid silver Bal ICs.
WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables.
Rob
Old 10-21-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post

Ron

I agree 100%

Audio research LS28SE preamplifier, Aurender N10 Streamer, Topping D90 DAC, McIntosh MC462 amplifier. Focal Sopra 3 speakers. Salamander Archetype rack, Symposium Acoustics Segue shelves, Silver Eclipse 7 XLRs, Shunyata Everest power conditioner, Alpha V2, Delta V2 and Venom V2 10/12 power cords, and Audioquest Oak speaker cables. GIK Acoustic's bass soffits and 244 bass trap Art panels room treatments. Sony XBR75X900e 4K TV and Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray player