AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-04-2020, 06:22 PM

Yes, the specs on C100/200 are excellent as well, though the solid state design has positive effect no doubt. Mac's tube designs are pretty close, though I'm unsure if tubes could ever top SS when it comes to those types of measurements.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:49 PM

Default C500T change to the new C2700?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Yes, the specs on C100/200 are excellent as well, though the solid state design has positive effect no doubt. Mac's tube designs are pretty close, though I'm unsure if tubes could ever top SS when it comes to those types of measurements.

The C1100 tube preamp has an advertised SNR of 107 dB, which is better than any other McIntosh preamp, Solid State or Tube.

Not sure how they did that, or if it matters sonically, but my C1100 is dead quiet.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 04-05-2020, 11:02 AM

Looks like im going to keep the C500T
B&W CM10 S2
REL S812
Old 04-05-2020, 12:33 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_brio View Post
Looks like im going to keep the C500T

Smart choice.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:36 AM

I love the sound of the C500T and if I were going to have a tube pre-amp I would want a C-22 III. Why Flexibility, mode selector, tone controls, loudness control, looks etc. But a C500T sounds great if I say so. Now a 2700 has digital capabilities, tone controls and a few other niceties. But as Frank Gow was a buddy if I wanted a tube unit I would get a C-2200 with his name on the face plate from Audio Classics. And with that totally tubed phono section I would have all the tube Blume you could ever wish for. I will pass on a 2700. If I had the space I would have a C-40, but I'll keep my C-34V with my MP100.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:50 PM

@Bob_Bubeck Do you listen to vinyl - if so, what are your thoughts on the phono stage? I also have the C2700 and find the DAC to be excellent. Digital sources sound great, and I rarely adjust the tone controls.

However, with the phono stage, I have the treble turned up about 50%, and on low volumes sometimes 100%. I find it dark. My previous setup was a Schitt Mani phono pre-amp and a Marantz AVR (used as a preamp) and it sounded brighter. The amp is an MC8207 with both setups, and Martin Logan Electrostatic speakers.

I am wondering if a I need to replace the tube, or do some upgrades to the turn table - it's a Pro-Ject Carbon DC with a Nagaoka MP 110 cartridge. The sound is cleaner/clearer but I would like it to be brighter and airier. I did an A/B comparison with the same vinyl.

Last edited by MichaelMcse; 04-14-2020 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:17 AM
Listener in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMcse View Post
@Bob_Bubeck Do you listen to vinyl - if so, what are your thoughts on the phono stage? I also have the C2700 and find the DAC to be excellent. Digital sources sound great, and I rarely adjust the tone controls.

However, with the phono stage, I have the treble turned up about 50%, and on low volumes sometimes 100%. I find it dark. My previous setup was a Schitt Mani phono pre-amp and a Marantz AVR (used as a preamp) and it sounded brighter. The amp is an MC8207 with both setups, and Martin Logan Electrostatic speakers.

I am wondering if a I need to replace the tube, or do some upgrades to the turn table - it's a Pro-Ject Carbon DC with a Nagaoka MP 110 cartridge. The sound is cleaner/clearer but I would like it to be brighter and airier. I did an A/B comparison with the same vinyl.
Hi MichaelMcse,
Welcome! Looks like this is your first post on AA. You may want to start a new thread with a title that will draw people to your question. You would certainly get more responses, and by becoming a subscriber you can do that. An AA subscription is a modest investment that, with an issue like you articulate, can pay back in spades.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 04-15-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMcse View Post

The phono pre (MC input) in my C2700 is functioning very well, indeed. I am never compelled to adjust the bass or treble by more than 2 dB and I usually run 'flat' on superior LP's. A faulty tube is a possibility, but here are a few thoughts ...

1. The Nagaoka MP 110 is a MM cartridge. Is it connected to the MM input (sorry, one has to ask these questions) and, if so, have you tried the range of capacitance settings available for the MM input?

2. Has, perchance, the cartridge "gone south"?

3. If you are able on your Pro-Ject, have you tried adjusting the VTA?

4. When McIntosh reopens, bounce your observations off of Chuck, or your dealer.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Sources: Koetsu Onyx Gold/Clearaudio Innovation Wood w/Universal Arm 9”; MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: MacIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes Headphones: MacIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent G5 balanced and speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record cleaner: Kirmuss KA-RC-1 ultrasonic.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:22 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. It is connected to the MM, and I also have been adjusting the capacitance. The capacitance requirement is not on the manufacturer's website, and research shows suggestings ranging 100pF to 400pF. I normally leave it on 50pF, depending on the vinyl. Duller sounding vinyl sounds better at setting to 50pF, and brighter vinyl sounds better at 200pF.

I did an A/B comparison with another setup, and I didn't notice issues with the cartridge on the former. I have noticed an occasional "break through" of dark sounding to brighter in the middle of a track with the new setup - I'm not sure what that is. I have not adjusted or checked the VTA - I plan to do that.

I had already started dialog with Chuck - hopefully, in more detail soon.
I am trying to get a power conditioner and see if that has any affect too.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:44 PM

But remember thats A weighted S/n with the bass rolled off. The C-37 had 105 db S/N and that was measured flat. Any way its not about published specs, it about by what margin th units exceed the published specs. My original 275s had about .06 % distortion at 1000 HZ.
The MC 3500 had even lower readings and exceeded its specs of 0.15 % being in. the ,oo9 area. Its signal to noise was over 100 db measured flat and could be approved on today with some minor circuit changes. So lets all agree its not about the numbers but what your listening experience at home in your listening space results are and are you satisfied.