AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 04-05-2020, 10:10 PM

Hi MCenthusiast,

Your SP10R and Artisan Fidelity plinth look fantastic! Now that you've had it a while, what are your thoughts about its sound, etc.? I'm seriously considering going the same route with Chris and I'd love to know what you think. I also have an idler already (Nantais Ref II Lenco) but I'm extremely intrigued by the SP10R/Artisan Fidelity combo.

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited by willimusk; 04-05-2020 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:29 AM
Retired

That is a beautiful vinyl rig.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Technics.jpg (60.3 KB, 186 views)
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-06-2020, 05:27 PM

That is what a high end turntable should look like!

I'm not a huge fan of the Italian espresso machine crossed with a silver rube goldberg perpetual machine style :-)

Looking forward to your listening observations with interest
Old 04-25-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willimusk View Post
Hi MCenthusiast,

Your SP10R and Artisan Fidelity plinth look fantastic! Now that you've had it a while, what are your thoughts about its sound, etc.? I'm seriously considering going the same route with Chris and I'd love to know what you think. I also have an idler already (Nantais Ref II Lenco) but I'm extremely intrigued by the SP10R/Artisan Fidelity combo.

Thanks,
Bill
Thanks Bill and others, I haven't been on the site for a while so I missed the follow up posts. I've added a number of pics on my profile so you can see how the system has evolved. The short answer is that I'm very pleased with the Technics table, Chris and his team do remarkable work and the attention to detail has to be seen in person. The table is massive (24" deep) and weighs roughly 130 pounds in full dress so you have to be prepared for that with a suitable mounting location.

This is an all vinyl all the time system that gives me a lot of flexibility to try different arms and cartridges along with idler and direct drive tables.. The AF table has impressed me with incredibly black backgrounds, overall dynamics and the deep and believable bass it delivers. Depending upon cartridge, I run it though the A23 step up or the MP1100 into the Giscours.

I'm curious whether you have decided to move forward and what alternatives you are entertaining?
Old 04-26-2020, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the update. Sure sounds like a sweet arrangement. I, too, have an idler (Lenco) and DD (Brinkmann) in a vinyl-centric system, and like them both a lot. But the siren song of Technics' perfect speed keeps sounding in the back of my ear, so I've been trying to decide between the SP10r and refurbishing an SP10 M3. Given the precariousness of today's economy, I might just wait a few months. Good to know the SP10r/AF combo delivers the goods.

Bill

Last edited by willimusk; 04-26-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Sure sounds like a sweet arrangement. I, too, have an idler (Lenco) and DD (Brinkmann) in a vinyl-centric system, and like them both a lot. But the siren song of Technics' perfect speed keeps sounding in the back of my ear, so I've been trying to decide between the SP10r and refurbishing an SP10 M3. Given the precariousness of today's economy, I might just wait a few months. Good to know the SP10r/AF combo delivers the goods.

Bill
The choice between the R and the M3 is a close call and something I wrestled with as well. You may already know that the older M3 has comparable wow and flutter measurements and an even more powerful motor, the same used in the Technics cutting lathe from that period. Ultimately, I decided that I valued the sophistication of the newer electronics above the brute force of the M3 but i don't think you could go wrong either way. There's also the heavier NGS model which is based upon the M3 motor but that's even more expensive. I find the R to be an excellent complement to the Garrard offering a bit more detail and a lower noise floor while offering tremendous dynamics. They're both awesome performers.

Todd
Old 04-26-2020, 06:29 PM

Todd,

Did it take really 7+ months for AF to deliver your plinth? (I'm guessing from the dates of your posts.) I've heard from others about extended delays, so I'm curious. Also, what wood is yours wrapped in? Just lovely.

BTW, I noticed you mentioned possibly trying an M2-12R for SPUs. I have one in the back position on my two-arm Lenco for just that purpose. It's a remarkably good-sounding and versatile arm, especially for the money, provided you upgrade the stock phono cable.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Todd,

Did it take really 7+ months for AF to deliver your plinth? (I'm guessing from the dates of your posts.) I've heard from others about extended delays, so I'm curious. Also, what wood is yours wrapped in? Just lovely.

BTW, I noticed you mentioned possibly trying an M2-12R for SPUs. I have one in the back position on my two-arm Lenco for just that purpose. It's a remarkably good-sounding and versatile arm, especially for the money, provided you upgrade the stock phono cable.
Delivery did take about 7 months but it was due to the difficulty in sourcing the SP10R. Chris could have had it done in about 8 weeks otherwise. The wood is Santos Rosewood. AF offers Zebrawood in the base package and can offer a range of finishes or the option of sourcing a premium alternative like Rosewood, Cocobolo, etc. I was ready to buy an M2-12R but they are in short supply now that SME has exited the standalone tonearm business. Too bad because I think it's an excellent product and it would be interchangeable with my 312S on the Garrard. I might consider an EMT 997 down the road for either table but I don't have any SPU carts at the moment so I'm not in a rush.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:44 PM

Good info. Thanks again. Enjoy.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCenthusiast View Post
It took quite a while to get the Technics SP10R but Artisan Fidelity delivered an amazing table in the end! I've only had it set up for a few days but initial impressions are that it delivers exceptional dynamics and an impossibly low noise floor.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/pict...pictureid=5095

Beautiful table. I've also been thinking of this table versus the OMA plinth. What made you decide to go with AF? One thing for me is that the OMA footprint seem quite large and also pretty expensive for a plinth. But interested in your thought process. Also, I have not really found any other alternative plinths for the 10Rs. Assume that was your experience too.