AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 04-11-2020, 01:12 AM

How sensitive are your speakers? I found my 17 Cubed to be noisier than expected, especially for a solid state preamp, but only when no music is playing. Given the big deal that was made about the new circuits I was disappointed and began wondering if I should have gone for the 26.

Having said that the sound quality of the music it makes is certainly not inferior to any preamp I’ve ever heard. The features are also very useful, it’s relatively compact and the price was reasonable.

However if you have high sensitivity speakers and you are the type of person that is going to obsess over minor annoyances, like noises that do not affect playback of actual music, you may be disappointed.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_DR3 View Post
How sensitive are your speakers? I found my 17 Cubed to be noisier than expected, especially for a solid state preamp, but only when no music is playing. Given the big deal that was made about the new circuits I was disappointed and began wondering if I should have gone for the 26.

Having said that the sound quality of the music it makes is certainly not inferior to any preamp I’ve ever heard. The features are also very useful, it’s relatively compact and the price was reasonable.

However if you have high sensitivity speakers and you are the type of person that is going to obsess over minor annoyances, like noises that do not affect playback of actual music, you may be disappointed.
Thanks for the information. That is interesting, as the 17-cubed is supposed to have an extremely low noise floor. Will keep in mind.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:29 AM

Hi Stefan

Yes I am surprised to hear that you have excessive noise in the system?

here is the link to the Stereophile Magazines measurements which shows superb noise specs.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements
Old 04-11-2020, 12:31 PM

Hi James,
I read all the professional reviews but was disappointed that they did not measure the baseline noise or mention the pop when muting. They measure the signal to noise ratio (SNR) with volume at max gain, which is excellent of course. Under those conditions nobody will hear any noise. However with the volume at zero there is a white noise that can be heard 2m from the speakers (90dBm Thiels). I have the amps on the low gain setting. The good news is this noise does not increase as the volume is increased.

Here is my reply to the Stereophile article and my own measurements:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.ph...028#msg1719028

Last edited by Stefan_DR3; 04-11-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:51 PM

Default Bryston Launches BP-17³ Cubed Preamplifier

On second look, one can calculate the noise floor that Stereophile likely measured, based on this sentence:

"The actual distortion doesn't rise above the noise floor until the output reaches 15V, when it is just 0.0005%, but rises rapidly above that level."

15 V x 0.0005/100 = 0.075 mV which is -106dB, not far off the Bryston spec.

I am measuring 100 times that (7.5 mV) and a DC offset of -13 mV (R) and +37 mV (L) on the RCA outputs. The XLR outputs have no DC.

Last edited by Stefan_DR3; 04-11-2020 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:06 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_DR3 View Post
How sensitive are your speakers? I found my 17 Cubed to be noisier than expected, especially for a solid state preamp, but only when no music is playing.
Interesting. When I had one I used with 88db sensitivity speakers and never noticed any noise between tracks, etc. Thought it was an excellent, very flexible preamp and would likely still have if I had not moved back to tubes.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-11-2020, 08:27 PM

Default Bryston Launches BP-17³ Cubed Preamplifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Thanks for the information. That is interesting, as the 17-cubed is supposed to have an extremely low noise floor. Will keep in mind.

You should be OK. I think Stereophile’s unit measured better than mine. According to their graph it would be 0.0009 % noise at 8V output (12dB gain).

I selected that point because it matches the conditions of the Bryston factory test. The spec sheet (test report) that came with my unit, serial 000007, says it scored 0.0018 % which is double the noise.

I am curious what the specs would be for that BP26 though.

Last edited by Stefan_DR3; 04-11-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:37 PM

Last edited by urbanluthier; 07-05-2021 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:34 AM

Last edited by urbanluthier; 07-05-2021 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:49 PM

Last edited by urbanluthier; 07-05-2021 at 03:17 PM.