AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 01-24-2021, 06:30 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Bart, good luck with the new system! Nothing wrong with enjoying a bit of vintage sound before immersing into the modern, resolving and accurate speakers.

Thanks Serge.
So far, we didn't spend a cent.
It's all cables and gear we already owned.

The KEFs will be new of course, but they will move to my wife's office after a while (her name is Meta, so that is mandatory ).

Then the hunt for some nice second hand speakers, vintage style, will start.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-24-2021, 06:36 PM
Life is beautiful

Blue Mitchell - The Cup Bearers
via Qobuz

Further exploring the surprisingly vast Blue Mitchell catalogue.
Very consistent quality.

Recorded August 28 & 30, '62.

Blue Mitchell - trumpet
Junior Cook - tenor saxophone
Cedar Walton - piano
Gene Taylor - bass
Roy Brooks - drums

The Allmusic review by Scott Yanow awarded the album 4 stars and stated "The music swings hard, mostly avoids sounding like a Horace Silver group, and has particularly strong solos... excellent hard bop"
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-24-2021, 06:50 PM
Life is beautiful

Blue Mitchell - Step Lightly
via Qobuz

Another great album!

Recorded August 13, '63.

Trumpeter Blue Mitchell's Blue Note debut went unissued for 17 years, only coming out on this 1980 LP (not yet reissued on CD). The set must have been lost in the shuffle, for the music is consistently excellent. Mitchell, tenor saxophonist Joe Henderson, altoist Leo Wright, pianist Herbie Hancock, bassist Gene Taylor, and drummer Roy Brooks perform four originals and obscurities, plus lyrical versions of "Sweet and Lovely" and "Cry Me a River." Worth searching for.

© Scott Yanow /TiVo
Old 01-25-2021, 12:53 AM

One of my absolute favorites. Great album to wrap up the weekend.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Blue Mitchell - Step Lightly
via Qobuz

Another great album!

Recorded August 13, '63.

Trumpeter Blue Mitchell's Blue Note debut went unissued for 17 years, only coming out on this 1980 LP (not yet reissued on CD). The set must have been lost in the shuffle, for the music is consistently excellent. Mitchell, tenor saxophonist Joe Henderson, altoist Leo Wright, pianist Herbie Hancock, bassist Gene Taylor, and drummer Roy Brooks perform four originals and obscurities, plus lyrical versions of "Sweet and Lovely" and "Cry Me a River." Worth searching for.

© Scott Yanow /TiVo
Very nice album indeed.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:42 AM

I've found over the years that starting the day with a cup of fresh brewed Java and Jazz piano playing some of the Gershwin standards is one of life's small pleasures. As the saying goes: "Sometimes the small pleasures in life are the sweetest".

So it was this morning that I came across this album while searching new albums in Roon.

"The Pennsylvania-based David Leonhardt Jazz Group, noted for its presentation of both straight and modern jazz, here eschews the latter turning its considerable talents and energy to the music of the Gershwins. One of the group's stalwarts, Village Vanguard Orch. veteran Ralph Lalama, plays a softer toned tenor than usual as he revels in arrangements of these classic entries in the Great American Songbook.

The rhythm section of bass player Paul Rostock and drummer Tom Melito go beyond their usual role of keeping the beat, especially Melito. He is an active participant with solos, punctuating rim shots, and cymbal play on almost every cut, going far beyond routine time keeping, as on "S'Wonderful."

In doing so, he adds a level of excitement that otherwise would be missing. Rostock shines especially bright on "A Foggy Day," where he provides stalwart backing for singer Nancy Reed.

But it is the lyrical pianism of David Leonhardt and the articulate vocalizing of longtime collaborator Reed that lifts this album out of the ordinary. The Leonhardt/Reed performance of "Embraceable You" is as sincere a play as one will find of this Gershwin classic.

The years these two have worked together is evident in the intimacy embedded in this performance. Lalama's sax comes in on the last chorus with his tenor noodling soulfully underneath Reed's vocals. A similar approach is found on "The Man I Love," this time with Lalama's sax being a bit more assertive without becoming overly demanding. This is outstanding work.

Plays Gershwin is Leonhardt's fifth album for his Big Bang label. Dilettantes and other effete detractors will moan that the last thing needed is another "plays Gershwin" album. But as this fine effort reveals, that position continues to be shortsighted as Leonhardt's group gives refreshing insight to the music of George and Ira Gershwin. Happily recommended." https://www.allmusic.com/album/plays...n-mw0000018791

Old 01-25-2021, 01:07 PM

Has been a while since I've listened to this gem. Always a pleasure.

A legendary engagement at the Pawnshop club in Stockholm, Sweden. Featured are Arne Domnerus (doubling on alto and clarinet), pianist Bengt Hallberg, vibraphonist Lars Erstrand, bassist Georg Riedel and drummer Egil Johansen. They mostly stick to swing standards, recalling the groups of Benny Goodman and Lionel Hampton. Highlights include a heated "Limehouse Blues," the African folk song "High Life," "Lady Be Good" and Coleman Hawkins's "Stuffy." All of the volumes in this series are well worth getting by straightahead jazz fans, particularly those not familiar with Arne Domnerus's excellent playing.

Old 01-25-2021, 05:18 PM

Bucky Pizzarelli - Bucky Pizzarelli and New York Swing Plays Rodgers and Hart

Via Qobuz
IMG_0630.jpg
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-25-2021, 05:55 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Temptation
Holly Cole Trio
Absolutely Fabulous on all counts!
Alert Records Z2-81026
Regards,
Jim

Old 01-25-2021, 08:16 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

The Absence
Melody Gardot
I really enjoy this one! Excellent recording.
Decca Records B0016877-02
Regards,
Jim