AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 01-21-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I also agree. There is no way I could ever tell the difference in sound between resistors.

I'm not even 100% convinced about burn-in. I just know it sounds better to me over time, but that could mean I am just getting used to what I hear. Who knows.
I agree on all counts.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:50 AM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
If you hear a difference from changing phono-stage cartridge load impedance you're probably hearing a difference in resistor value.
Hey Tima,

You may well be correct. And the differences I hear in cartridge loading are very slight. Yet the value changes there are substantial and the signal small and delicate. A quality resistor's value used with the low current and voltage in a speaker crossover wouldn't change much, if at all so it seems there would be much less difference to hear. But, in this hobby. Maybe I need a new stone of some sort for my amps.

Bob
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 01-21-2014, 10:47 AM

I have no idea what the impact might be with changing the manufacturer of a resistor but there are differences when you change the value of the resistors.

I was told that one of the steps taken when a Wilson speaker is recertified at the factory is that all resistors are replaced.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:34 PM

What are the resistor specs that you ordered?

partsconnexion.com/resis_duel_main.html
Old 01-21-2014, 05:31 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I have no idea what the impact might be with changing the manufacturer of a resistor but there are differences when you change the value of the resistors.

I was told that one of the steps taken when a Wilson speaker is recertified at the factory is that all resistors are replaced.
Well it makes sense that if Wilson is to put their name on a reconditioned product that they would replace anything that might have been abused by a previous owner. I don't abuse my speakers, am careful not to expose them to power-on transients and by Rock standards don't even play them very loud. My resistors are in fine shape, thanks.
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 07-20-2016, 06:08 PM

hello Kunter
i would like to do the same to my Sasha.
What are the resistor specs that you ordered?
Old 08-18-2016, 06:03 PM

i wanted to run out of the room when tweeters were new. had a towel over the tweeter and considered changing resistor values. After about 500 hours and optimal speaker placement i do not find the the tweeters bright. i am enjoying my speakers. sure other folks with other brands like YG, Sonus Faber, B and W ,Magico etc think that their speakers are far superior. having heard them all i find them enjoyable and different. but i like my Sasha's best
Old 01-24-2021, 05:11 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post

You are correct Jim with regard to values and their affect on speaker frequency balance. Though they protect yhe drivers, they are a part of the crossover. Changing their value changes crossover parameters.

Dave did quite extensive testing to determine sonic characteristics of a large group of the lowest tolerance resistors available. Beyond sonics, the resistor must be able to dissipate sufficient heat. That's how we got to the resistors we use and why they are designed to bolt to a heat sink.

Lastly, one of the routine steps in Authenticating a used Wilson speaker (actually 3 of 80+ steps depending on model) is replacing all the mid and high frequency resistors. The bass resistors are of a different type and unless they are compromised, they are not replaced. Certified AuthenticTM Wilsons are available only from North American Wilson Dealers and provide a Wilson Factory Warranty between 2 years and 5 years, depending on the speaker's age. Every speaker ever built by Wilson Audio can be Ceritfied Authentic.

Last edited by metaphacts; 01-24-2021 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:27 PM

I recently replaced the resistors in my Wilson Yvette speakers. I waited a few years before replacing the resistors. I admit, I was skeptical on whether this was necessary, because my speakers sounded great over the past few years. I also feared this could be a money grab by Wilson, because the resistors cost over $270.

I viewed the video tutorial on replacing the resistors, which is a clear step by step of the replacement process. The first speaker took me some time because I was very cautious and wanted to make sure I didn't break anything and was installing the correct resistor for each speaker. By time I got to the second speaker it took me about 20 minutes, again, I was careful.

When I turned the system on I wasn't surprised that the sound was a bit thin. I kept the tuner playing, and left the room for a few hours. When I got back everything sounded great. I was surprised how good my speakers sounded, almost like getting a new set of tubes. The clarity and resolution was noticeably better than what I heard before.

So yes, I am now convinced that resistor replacement in my Yvette's is essential for maximum performance. Wilson recommends replacement once a year. I am not too happy with the price of these resistors. It seems likely there is a huge mark up, and Wilson doesn't ship free, although considering the cost of the speakers, it is a worthwhile upgrade.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullman View Post
I recently replaced the resistors in my Wilson Yvette speakers. I waited a few years before replacing the resistors. I admit, I was skeptical on whether this was necessary, because my speakers sounded great over the past few years. I also feared this could be a money grab by Wilson, because the resistors cost over $270.

I viewed the video tutorial on replacing the resistors, which is a clear step by step of the replacement process. The first speaker took me some time because I was very cautious and wanted to make sure I didn't break anything and was installing the correct resistor for each speaker. By time I got to the second speaker it took me about 20 minutes, again, I was careful.

When I turned the system on I wasn't surprised that the sound was a bit thin. I kept the tuner playing, and left the room for a few hours. When I got back everything sounded great. I was surprised how good my speakers sounded, almost like getting a new set of tubes. The clarity and resolution was noticeably better than what I heard before.

So yes, I am now convinced that resistor replacement in my Yvette's is essential for maximum performance. Wilson recommends replacement once a year. I am not too happy with the price of these resistors. It seems likely there is a huge mark up, and Wilson doesn't ship free, although considering the cost of the speakers, it is a worthwhile upgrade.
I agree. Looking back on this thread was interesting, because I said back in 2014 that I could never "hear" a resistor. Well, I have had a few different pairs of Wilsons since then, with my Alexia's being the first ones I've had for more than 3 years. So with that in mind, I changed my resistors for the very first time recently and it was an instant improvement. Luckily for me, there was an extra set included in the box. My Sasha 1 and 2 did not have such an extra set, for whatever reason. In any case, I now have changed my mind: I can indeed "hear" a resistor, and I believe they should be changed every couple of years.