AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-16-2014, 08:52 AM

I wonder if for somebody who has no use of analog sources and five band equalizer if the C48 still be a better value than the D100 as pre amp ?

Last edited by BowiePop; 05-16-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowiePop View Post
I wonder if for somebody who has no use of analog sources and five band equalizer if the C48 still be a better value than the D100 as pre amp ?
In what way are you thinking that? If you don't have the need for EQ and analog sources I'm not sure how the C48 could be considered a better value . I think it would only come into play if you planned on adding Tape or Vinyl, etc. in the future.

What I truly wish is that the D100 had just "one" full analog stage so us vinyl guys could plug in a separate phono pre. IMO this would have made it the product of the year and not only the best bang for the buck McIntosh product, but the best bang for the buck in hi-fi at the $2500 price level. I've heard the DAC on this thing and it is stellar ... I still can't believe they released a component of this quality at that price level.

Last edited by beowulf; 05-17-2014 at 02:40 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post

... I still can't believe they released a component of this quality at that price level.
How about that, essentially their best DAC topology at what some keep referring to as "entry level". I think of it as "affordable" quality audio.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:12 AM

I´ll second that. I decided to use the D-100´s multiple input possibilities so I currently use it the following way:
FLAC -from 2 sources basically a MacBook Pro somewhere in the room or an HTPC set up remotely in another room. For this I use an Audioengine D2 wireless dac connected to the sending unit as well as the receiving unit in my stereo system.
CD-DVD-BR etc -all from the Oppo BDP95 to he stereo through the D100´s coax 1.
APPLE LOSSLESS -Got several iPads full of M4A files. One for Pop, Rock, one for Blues, one for Jazz and Fusion, one for Classical and use each device as a separate playlist. For this I go from the iDevices to the D-100`s USB input using the camera connection kit and it works a treat.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
How about that, essentially their best DAC topology at what some keep referring to as "entry level". I think of it as "affordable" quality audio.
No doubt, this product is far above entry level. I've had the chance to hear the D100 and PS Audio's DirectStream (although it was not in the same listening session) and the D100 left just as good an impression on me as the DirectStream. In fact, it led me to believe that the D100 is doing something similar to the DirectStream as far as upsampling ... I can't verify that it may be doing that, but it sounds like it and I know the chip they are using can do it.

Any way you put it though they've tweaked that DAC chip remarkably good and there is something special going on inside the D100 that is putting out some damn good sound. Top that with McIntosh build quality and like I already mentioned above ... I'm still shaking my head that they got this out at that price.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:59 PM

I find it interesting that the W4S DAC2 is held in high regard here by many members, but the D100 is seen as "entry level". I had both side to side and experienced very little difference between the two and considering I could've sold either for what I paid, I had no bias.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:22 PM
Racing Hoopties

I am enjoying my D100. It is a clear step above the DACs of my main CD/ SACD sources and added capabilities for a more complete digital solution.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 05-20-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
In what way are you thinking that? If you don't have the need for EQ and analog sources I'm not sure how the C48 could be considered a better value . I think it would only come into play if you planned on adding Tape or Vinyl, etc. in the future.

What I truly wish is that the D100 had just "one" full analog stage so us vinyl guys could plug in a separate phono pre. IMO this would have made it the product of the year and not only the best bang for the buck McIntosh product, but the best bang for the buck in hi-fi at the $2500 price level. I've heard the DAC on this thing and it is stellar ... I still can't believe they released a component of this quality at that price level.
Thank's for your answer.
I'm totally agree with you, i don't have listened it so i'm looking around everywhere on the web to find informations.
It will be my first Mc product, in place of my Yamaha network player and after i will change my amp Yamaha A-S2000 for a MC302.
Chuk Hinton of McIntosh tech support told me by mail that it will be a bit better than a MA7900 as i don't need any analog input.

Or maybe two MC301, it depends how much they will cost!

Last edited by BowiePop; 05-20-2014 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowiePop View Post
Thank's for your answer.
I'm totally agree with you, i don't have listened it so i'm looking around everywhere on the web to find informations.
It will be my first Mc product, in place of my Yamaha network player and after i will change my amp Yamaha A-S2000 for a MC302.
Chuk Hinton of McIntosh tech support told me by mail that it will be a bit better than a MA7900 as i don't need any analog input.

Or maybe two MC301, it depends how much they will cost!
I think you would be very happy with it ~ from what I've heard this is one of my favorite DACs out right now. My ONLY nitpick (and this won't apply to you) is that it doesn't have 1 analog stage, IMO they should emit 1 Coax and 1 TOSLink and then add 1 or 2 analog inputs and this thing would be unstoppable in bang for the buck!

If you don't need the analog stage then you're good to go, but I need an analog stage for my turntable though, so this means I need a preamp on top of a DAC which gets expensive for me.