AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aurender

Aurender Reference Music Servers

Old 09-17-2017, 12:57 AM

Default N100h questions

Hello All
A year ago, my teenage son made me a Linux based computer from a Gigabyte Brix and parts from Amazon. I've been using Jriver. I've had issues with the jriver app communicating with my iPad and iPhone. Furthermore the program crashes requiring me to lug a monitor up to the music room so my son can look at it. With my son away at school I've been avoiding using the system because of its reliability issues. It's frustrating to go through a routine with the computer, Dac and app every time I want to use my system.

So now I want a plug and play solution to get music to my Esoteric K03x as the Dac. I need USB only so it looks like the n100h would work fine. I have 1.5TB of music so I'm leaning to the 4TB size to avoid filling a 2 TB one too soon

Some rookie questions since my IT guy is away at school. He's gonna be mad that I'm scrapping his solution for a more reliable one but he's not here and I really want to enjoy my system.

It's says it's a network player. Do I need a Nas? I'm not sure I could set one up

I'd wanted to just load my files and be done.

To use the app, I'm guessing I need an Ethernet cable to connect to the modem. This is a bit on a snag that'll require me to run a cable through the attic about 65 feet. not fun in the Florida heat so this may need to hold until fall arrives.

I don't see anything about wifi so how does the iPad or iPhone talk to the unit?

Since I'm "lower tech" how would I load the files? From an external drive? I have the files on a WD external spinning disc drive now

Do you think I'll have better sound than the $600 computer my son built?

I might need to wait until late November to buy but I'm starting my research now.

I love my system I've pieced together. As I get older I've seen the value in using files over getting up to change discs. This computer is my weakest link in my system.
And help is greatly appreciated. Thank you,
Pete
Old 09-17-2017, 08:56 AM

First off instead of running a cable through your addict, buy a apple airport express and plug it in next to the Aurender, your Ethernet cable is now 3 feet. The N100H will have you smiling. I went from computer to the Aurender N100H and couldn't be happier. Keep the computer your son made also and control it using the N100H as a NAS drive
Old 09-17-2017, 08:58 AM

Oh one more thing since having Tidal and MQA files I never play any of the music on my NAS drive. Tidal on the Aurender equals redbook
Old 09-17-2017, 12:39 PM

Thanks for your reply. Is the airport express the same as the time capsule ? I used that for wifi but it's no being used, sitting in a box.

Also what's the purpose of using a NAS when the n100h has storage?

Sorry I'm so confused. My kid handled the house wifi network stuff. I guess I need to google it!
Old 09-17-2017, 07:03 PM

The time capsule should work as long as it has an Ethernet port on the rear. It
could also act as a Nas backup for the N100H. It will give you better signal for the IPad. I was in the same situation, son away, and set it up myself. I would rate myself handicapped with computers and still managed. You do not need
the Nas to get started, just if you purchase music for backup safety. I can't imagine you not hearing a huge difference with the quality of gear you have.
You will love the ease and quality of the Aurender.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:10 PM

The time capsule can be used as an extender for wifi , just plug the Ethernet to the Aurender. The reason I said to use your old computer as a nas was so you didn't waste disc space on the Aurender duplicating something you already have. I am confident once you play Tidal on the Aurender you will probably not even listen to your own music on the hd unless it's hi res. Or it's something you can't find on Tidal. I only burn DSD or hi res. PCM files to the Aurender. The NAS in my time capsule stores all my redbook music
Old 09-18-2017, 02:37 PM

Sweet! I'll work on it this weekend. It looks like I'm moving towards the n100h as my Black Friday splurge! Thanks!
Old 09-18-2017, 05:29 PM

One more thing:
How do you get music transferred into the n100h? All my music is on a external hard drive. Will I need a computer? Thank you
Old 09-18-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6737 View Post
One more thing:
How do you get music transferred into the n100h? All my music is on a external hard drive. Will I need a computer? Thank you
No computer required. Just plug in the USB HDD and use your iPad to copy it to the Aurender.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:30 PM

Thanks I'm pulling it up now. I can't wait to get a quality, reliable solution for my music files. Thanks for all the replies!!