AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Ye' Old Workshop

Ye' Old Workshop Build it or Break it, Never Fear!

Old 02-23-2013, 12:14 PM

This thread was dated along time ago. I'm looking to build my own stand.
And also make it big enough to put a 46"tv on one side and still have enough room for turntable on the top shelf. I just made speaker stands out of red oak,
I'm not sure of how red oak is with vibrations but its hard and heavy. And I also made the stands with fat enough body to put 70lbs of sand in each one.
So they are rock solid. And with the speakers on em have to weigh in at over 100 lbs each.
Once I'm allowed to start threads and can figure out how to get images from my phone to here , I will start a build thread. Just for help and ideas.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:51 PM
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFTM View Post
I noticed you are in Toronto.

For hardwood (you may need to do your own fabrication) try Peacock Lumber in Oshawa

peacocklumber.ca PEACOCK LUMBER.
That's excellent actually, we are out that way often, and lately I am always making shelving changes so an updated or new source is great.
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg

Last edited by jdandy; 02-24-2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: edit quote to remove active link.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:52 PM
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro85 View Post
This thread was dated along time ago. I'm looking to build my own stand.
And also make it big enough to put a 46"tv on one side and still have enough room for turntable on the top shelf. I just made speaker stands out of red oak,
I'm not sure of how red oak is with vibrations but its hard and heavy. And I also made the stands with fat enough body to put 70lbs of sand in each one.
So they are rock solid. And with the speakers on em have to weigh in at over 100 lbs each.
Once I'm allowed to start threads and can figure out how to get images from my phone to here , I will start a build thread. Just for help and ideas.
Oak is fairly dense I think....red oak will look very nice!
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg

Last edited by jdandy; 02-24-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtubes View Post
Oak is fairly dense I think....red oak will look very nice!
I'm getting it at depot. My local one carries red oak and poplar.
But expensive be like $90 -100 per 4ft shelf. If I stand up 1x4's and make it in butcher block style. Just have to figure out legs. Maybe stack em with points on each shelf like a vti rack it would be a heavy beast if they were all connected. And couldnt come apart. Lots of options
Old 02-23-2013, 11:17 PM

For my amplifier stand, I used three layers of 3/4" oak plywood clamped, glued and screwed together one layer at a time. On the top and sides I glued 3/4" solid tongue and groove Brazilian Cherry (Jotoba) flooring. The finished platform is three inches thick, 40" wide and 28" deep. The platform alone weighs just under 200 pounds with the wheels. There is no resonance at all. If you bang on it with your knuckles, all you hear are your hand bones ringing.

You can see it here supporting the two MC602 amps: http://www.audioaficionado.org/membe...ns-system.html
Old 02-23-2013, 11:20 PM
From the BAT cave ...

petro85, just FYI, but you have to be a Subscriber to post pics. You should really consider doing it - there are a lot of perks for Subscribers.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
petro85, just FYI, but you have to be a Subscriber to post pics. You should really consider doing it - there are a lot of perks for Subscribers.
Ahh i see , thanks. Since I don't do PayPal I have to mail in to subscribe. Which I will probably do mon or tues , thanks again

Last edited by petro85; 02-24-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
For my amplifier stand, I used three layers of 3/4" oak plywood clamped, glued and screwed together one layer at a time. On the top and sides I glued 3/4" solid tongue and groove Brazilian Cherry (Jotoba) flooring. The finished platform is three inches thick, 40" wide and 28" deep. The platform alone weighs just under 200 pounds with the wheels. There is no resonance at all. If you bang on it with your knuckles, all you hear are your hand bones ringing.

You can see it here supporting the two MC602 amps: http://www.audioaficionado.org/membe...ns-system.html
That is an awesome job!!! What are those casters on the bottom?
The base and legs and shelf supports are the hardest part for me.
Don't want to use something that's going to look stupid down the line.
Or that turn out to not support as well as I plan.
I do have a gem here. 25 years ago they were dismantling one of those old 1700's tall ships near where I live. My brother in law bought a couple doors.
Well helping him clean out his garage after the hurricane. I found one.
It like 200 year old teak. 2" thick x 7" tongue in groove. It's 4 panels that measure 28" wide by 72" long . And weighs (idk) but I can't move it by myself.
Only problem is it has brass porthole on it and huge brass hinges. I sanded it and cleaned it and put 10 coats of clear enamel on it andmade a coffee table out of it. If I build a wood base for my turntable and isolate it above the porthole on some feet I can use this as the top shelf and make a nice base for it.
Gotta send my subscriber $$ in cause I need pics of this
Old 02-24-2013, 11:02 AM

You could possibly take out the porthole and run your cable through it and use the brass porthole for another project. The antique doors sound like they add a tremendous flair to your project! Depending on how the wood lies, you could keep the big brass hinges on the front to they would be visible.

The casters are heavy duty casters that I felt were needed because the amps weigh 165 pounds each and I can't move them by myself, so they needed wheels. Just getting the platform moving with the amps on it takes a really good pull.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:24 PM

I could imagine with your amps and that stand that's gotta be like 500 lbs there easy. Very beefy setup I like it!! I'm going to need a bottom half of this rack similar to what you've done.
I have the underside of the door that is just glass no big brass ring like the side I'm using now.
Now that I look at it, I could cut an awesome piece off it for my turntable .
And another for 2nd shelf(which would have the skeleton key hole in it).
And still have a nice 40 " table with 2 hinges and the port hole. I have both sides of the hinges with the pins they are like 12" long thick brass gotta weigh 15 - 20 lbs each. I gotta get a pic of this for you . Might be the coolest old thing I ever had. Hopefully next couple days