AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 07-30-2017, 04:48 PM
Bun E. Carlos

This is the exact reason Audio Classcis and guys like Terry DeWick are around.

I never could understand why Charlie allows this. I would think Mc "Service and Refurbishment" could be a nice revenue source for Mc. There must be profit in it....Audio Classics has been in existence for many years. Maybe Mc realizes a ton a margin in just selling service parts to AC's?

Seems to me Charlie might be "penny wise, pound foolish" on not staffing the service dept to develop a steady source of profitable revenue for Mc.

I guess he ONLY wants to be in the business of selling new gear????

Last edited by JWJW; 07-30-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:10 PM

Yeah, the downside is guys like Terry, and others who service this gear, are always backlogged. I'm having my Nakamichi Dragon tuned up and all the reputable techs have a 6+ month backlog and I don't think younger people have the knowledge of analog circuits not to mention the tribal knowledge to fix this older gear, align tuners, etc. I imagine AC will be one of the few places still servicing this stuff in 10-15 years. So much newer gear (obviously not Mc) is throw-away these days. TV breaks? Toss it out and buy another. Anyway, I digress and I'm getting OT here.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
I had an MX150 since its introduction years ago. First unit wasn't able to use the remote. Second unit worked for years until recently it smoked. Repair cost is $3000 or about what they sell for used and it is still not finished and am told it could be months away. Ended up getting a Bryston SP3 from Ivan. In my opinion and experience, stay away from McIntosh digital. Their products are forgotten after introduction and do not hold any value for resale at least processors. Mx150, 151, 160. Firmware updates seemed to cause more trouble than anything. Amps are a different and better story.

I looked at McIntosh when I was searching for a processor a few years back. I ended up with the Bryston SP3 and couldn’t be happier. Now they just need to release the 4K hdr update and I’ll really be in business
Old 07-30-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
Hope the OP gets this sorted in a timely fashion. It seems that generally speaking in the audio world there is a lack of qualified techs. I can understand it when some of the independent guys who service vintage gear are backed up, but you'd think McIntosh as a manufacturer would have plenty of talent available.
Many industries are finding it very difficult to find qualified individuals who can pass a drug test.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:23 AM

So quick update, George-Meyer has had it for about 2 weeks. They couldn't replicate the issue until I told them it needed to have a input load on it. They were able to easily replicate it afterwards. They have received a main board from mcintosh for replacement and said they would keep it for a couple weeks to determine if that was the issue.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:56 PM

2nd update, George-Meyer's was able to replicate the issue and replaced a board. Had it for a couple weeks and it seems to have fixed the issue.

McIntosh has been amazing in all this. I never had the original box, they sent one free ($125), sent the replacement board for free, and they covered labor from G-M. I basically just had to cover shipping each way. Grant it that was about $500, but all in all I got it fixed for nothing. A+++ McIntosh
Old 09-14-2017, 09:05 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xconcepts View Post
2nd update, George-Meyer's was able to replicate the issue and replaced a board. Had it for a couple weeks and it seems to have fixed the issue.

McIntosh has been amazing in all this. I never had the original box, they sent one free ($125), sent the replacement board for free, and they covered labor from G-M. I basically just had to cover shipping each way. Grant it that was about $500, but all in all I got it fixed for nothing. A+++ McIntosh
That's great to hear, sounds like they really did their utmost to take care of you. Good to see that McIntosh service is still top notch.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 09-28-2017, 07:14 AM

Well, the unit lasted exactly 6 days and then started acting up again.....I'm ready to get this thing repaired and move on. I'll take a huge loss on this though
Old 10-12-2017, 03:37 PM

I had my MX122 sent in. Zone 3 wasn't working right, static and popping on the line. My dealer came to my house and used my original box, and the unit was back in three weeks (2 of which were in transit).

They ended up installing shielding inside the unit. That's all I know.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I had my MX122 sent in. Zone 3 wasn't working right, static and popping on the line. My dealer came to my house and used my original box, and the unit was back in three weeks (2 of which were in transit).

They ended up installing shielding inside the unit. That's all I know.
Had the same problem with my MC205. I had extra shielding and RF filters added by my tech. No such problem with an older MC7270.
Turntable: VPI Prime Signature Cart: Benz Micro LP-S DAC: Lampizator Golden Atlantic Preamp: Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps: Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv., Mac MC205 Speakers: Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S, Totems Headphone amp: Glenn 300B Headphones: LCD-4