AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 06-25-2017, 12:30 PM

Default McIntosh XR1052 speakers?

Hi... I came across a nice looking pair of McIntosh XR1052 speakers. There was nothing to play them with. Can anyone give a review of them, please? I offered to buy them and I'm waiting for a reply.
Thank you.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:51 PM

Hi,

You posted on my page about Roger Russell's latest. The app does not allow a PM. Go to iDS-25 web page and email Ken Haig for info. They are fabulous speakers. I have XR290s, XRT20s and XR19s. The IDS-25 would be my choice over the latter two listed and in some aspects of imaging the XR290. The IDS-25 will find a home in my house one day.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax View Post
Hi,

You posted on my page about Roger Russell's latest. The app does not allow a PM. Go to iDS-25 web page and email Ken Haig for info. They are fabulous speakers. I have XR290s, XRT20s and XR19s. The IDS-25 would be my choice over the latter two listed and in some aspects of imaging the XR290. The IDS-25 will find a home in my house one day.

I had a pair of XR1052s and traded them in on a pair of XR250's. I found the XR250s much better. The bass goes much lower and the LD/HD woofers provides a cleaner sound. I currently have XR290s, XR250s, and a pair of IDS-25s I bought from Ken Haig. The IDA-25s sound amazing, but you can't push them too hard if the music has a lot of bass. The XR290s will easily handle deep bass.

Leonard
Old 09-12-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardas View Post
I had a pair of XR1052s and traded them in on a pair of XR250's. I found the XR250s much better. The bass goes much lower and the LD/HD woofers provides a cleaner sound. I currently have XR290s, XR250s, and a pair of IDS-25s I bought from Ken Haig. The IDA-25s sound amazing, but you can't push them too hard if the music has a lot of bass. The XR290s will easily handle deep bass.

Leonard
Leonard,

It is good to see another Roger Russell Design speaker fan. What ammplifiers and preamps do you drive the XR290s and IDS-25 with? have you ever tried Room Perfect on either speaker system? i found the Room Perfect amazing with the XR290.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Leonard,

It is good to see another Roger Russell Design speaker fan. What ammplifiers and preamps do you drive the XR290s and IDS-25 with? have you ever tried Room Perfect on either speaker system? i found the Room Perfect amazing with the XR290.
Yes, I'm a big fan of Roger Russell speakers. I even took a trip out to Orlando to meet him. He is a super nice guy. I still email him often.
I have the MX151 preamp so I'm using Room Perfect with the XR290s. No subwoofers needed with them. I'm powering the XR290s with a pair of MC1.2KWs, a perfect match. For the IDS-25s I'm using a MC302 amp. I'm not using Roof Perfect with those, but you must use the supplied equalizer with them. I originally was using two channels on a MC207 and accidently misconnected one channel so it bypassed the equalizer on that channel. I couldn't figure out why the IDS just didn't sound right until I discovered the error. I bought Ken's demo pair of IDS-25s that he took to the audio shows, so I got a slight discount on them. I don't know if they have any other pairs available and would have to have them made up to order. Roger said a fellow in Japan wanted to order a pair but they were too tall to fit in an elevator so Roger was working on a modified design where they could be split into two parts for shipping, just like the XR290s.

Leonard
Old 09-13-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Yes, I'm a big fan of Roger Russell speakers. I even took a trip out to Orlando to meet him. He is a super nice guy. I still email him often.
I have the MX151 preamp so I'm using Room Perfect with the XR290s. No subwoofers needed with them. I'm powering the XR290s with a pair of MC1.2KWs, a perfect match. For the IDS-25s I'm using a MC302 amp. I'm not using Roof Perfect with those, but you must use the supplied equalizer with them. I originally was using two channels on a MC207 and accidently misconnected one channel so it bypassed the equalizer on that channel. I couldn't figure out why the IDS just didn't sound right until I discovered the error. I bought Ken's demo pair of IDS-25s that he took to the audio shows, so I got a slight discount on them. I don't know if they have any other pairs available and would have to have them made up to order. Roger said a fellow in Japan wanted to order a pair but they were too tall to fit in an elevator so Roger was working on a modified design where they could be split into two parts for shipping, just like the XR290s.

Leonard
I postulated that a MC 302 iwould be best for the IDS-25 or a MC352 to ease overpowering worries of bass heavy music.

I am running MC1000s on the XR290s but was wondering if MC1.2KWs would give much in SQ improvement but nobody is in to letting you demo those beasts in your home. I ran MC2500s wit 290s and found highs beter with the MC1000 but in detailed bass the MC2500 was very appealing. I want some IDS-25s prior to new monoblocks.

I have been considering going to a MX150 or MX151 Currently running a Lyngdorf with HT passthrough for pre duties sending out volume adjusted and Room Corrected digital signal to a DAC direct to amps with balanced cables. Gives a great open, and detailed image with XR290s. If I picked up IDS25 i may use Lyngdorf integrated for those. The IDS-25 clone project is appealing too with a MQ107 or use Room Perfect voicing equalization application that Lyndorf has to bass boost them. It appears identical to Mcintosh app for MEN220 voicing.

Having both XR290 and IDS-25 what is your usual go to system for two channel and why. I read your previous posts and am curious which system your wife prefers since you mentioned she loves the 290s?

Are you still in Houston i am up in the DFW metroplex?
Old 09-14-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I postulated that a MC 302 iwould be best for the IDS-25 or a MC352 to ease overpowering worries of bass heavy music.

I am running MC1000s on the XR290s but was wondering if MC1.2KWs would give much in SQ improvement but nobody is in to letting you demo those beasts in your home. I ran MC2500s wit 290s and found highs beter with the MC1000 but in detailed bass the MC2500 was very appealing. I want some IDS-25s prior to new monoblocks.

I have been considering going to a MX150 or MX151 Currently running a Lyngdorf with HT passthrough for pre duties sending out volume adjusted and Room Corrected digital signal to a DAC direct to amps with balanced cables. Gives a great open, and detailed image with XR290s. If I picked up IDS25 i may use Lyngdorf integrated for those. The IDS-25 clone project is appealing too with a MQ107 or use Room Perfect voicing equalization application that Lyndorf has to bass boost them. It appears identical to Mcintosh app for MEN220 voicing.

Having both XR290 and IDS-25 what is your usual go to system for two channel and why. I read your previous posts and am curious which system your wife prefers since you mentioned she loves the 290s?

Are you still in Houston i am up in the DFW metroplex?
I'm still in Houston. It depends on the music but for playing loud, especially music with a lot of bass, the XR290s are the ones I use. Plus they are in the living room. I have a small house and the IDS-25s are in the bedroom. There is not a good place to sit so I have to stand to listen to them. I use the XR250s in my exercise room (spare bedroom), powered by a MA6600 integrated amp. Ken used MC501 mono blocks to power the IDS-25s.
My wife hasn't commented much on the IDS-25s, but said to never sell the XR290s. Roger sold his homemade XR290s and just uses the IDS-25s.
Roger's son built his own pair of IDS-25s. I thought Room perfect can only reduce certain frequencies, not boost them. The highs and lows need a lot of boost with the IDS-25s. I can't get a hold of Roger right now to ask him. I assume he is still without power after Irma hit.

Leonard
Old 09-14-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I'm still in Houston. It depends on the music but for playing loud, especially music with a lot of bass, the XR290s are the ones I use. Plus they are in the living room. I have a small house and the IDS-25s are in the bedroom. There is not a good place to sit so I have to stand to listen to them. I use the XR250s in my exercise room (spare bedroom), powered by a MA6600 integrated amp. Ken used MC501 mono blocks to power the IDS-25s.
My wife hasn't commented much on the IDS-25s, but said to never sell the XR290s. Roger sold his homemade XR290s and just uses the IDS-25s.
Roger's son built his own pair of IDS-25s. I thought Room perfect can only reduce certain frequencies, not boost them. The highs and lows need a lot of boost with the IDS-25s. I can't get a hold of Roger right now to ask him. I assume he is still without power after Irma hit.

Leonard
I did not realize the highs were also getting a boost on IDS-25. I will have to visit his design notes again on his site.

I would like to see a copy of the magazine article that Roger published if you have it on IDS-25.

You may be right about using Room Perfect only to cut. I think Lyngdorf may limit to 12 Db cuts so doing a mid frequency cut might leave one needing the equalizer MQ107 or IDE-25 if boosts of more than 12 is needed.

It appears Roger's set were rectangular boxes where Ken used angled sided orthogonal boxes. Curious if Roger put beveled pieces in back to get away from bass wave issues of rectangular boxes. Ken uses a cabinet manufacturer that uses NC setups to machine and router pieces. then vacuum bag glues the pieces. Not a project for a nvoice cabinet maker.

I use the XRT20s in Bedroom. The IDS-25 would most likely displace those. A set up inside the XR290s initially would be my choice for same room comparisons. Ken has three sets of IDS-25s. The set in his large room sounded most appealing giving the largest soundstage and Holographic sound. He uses 601s to drive the upstairs and downstairs set now.

I am with your wife on not parting with XR290s and so is my spouse.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I did not realize the highs were also getting a boost on IDS-25. I will have to visit his design notes again on his site.

I would like to see a copy of the magazine article that Roger published if you have it on IDS-25.

You may be right about using Room Perfect only to cut. I think Lyngdorf may limit to 12 Db cuts so doing a mid frequency cut might leave one needing the equalizer MQ107 or IDE-25 if boosts of more than 12 is needed.

It appears Roger's set were rectangular boxes where Ken used angled sided orthogonal boxes. Curious if Roger put beveled pieces in back to get away from bass wave issues of rectangular boxes. Ken uses a cabinet manufacturer that uses NC setups to machine and router pieces. then vacuum bag glues the pieces. Not a project for a nvoice cabinet maker.

I use the XRT20s in Bedroom. The IDS-25 would most likely displace those. A set up inside the XR290s initially would be my choice for same room comparisons. Ken has three sets of IDS-25s. The set in his large room sounded most appealing giving the largest soundstage and Holographic sound. He uses 601s to drive the upstairs and downstairs set now.

I am with your wife on not parting with XR290s and so is my spouse.
Roger told me the angled sides for the IDS-25 production model were just to make them look better. Roger mailed me a copy of his article on building the IDS-25. I need to find it and scan it in to make a digital copy.
Ken had told me his set in his bedroom were 1 speaker shorter to fit the room.
Roger sent me a picture of the IDS-25 his son made and they look real nice. He did not make grills for them though. I didn't care for Roger's suggestion of using perforated gutter covers as speaker grills in his article on building the speakers.

Leonard
Old 09-16-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Roger told me the angled sides for the IDS-25 production model were just to make them look better. Roger mailed me a copy of his article on building the IDS-25. I need to find it and scan it in to make a digital copy.
Ken had told me his set in his bedroom were 1 speaker shorter to fit the room.
Roger sent me a picture of the IDS-25 his son made and they look real nice. He did not make grills for them though. I didn't care for Roger's suggestion of using perforated gutter covers as speaker grills in his article on building the speakers.

Leonard
Leonard,

I agree Home Depot grills though functional are not as nice as what Ken had made. Yes thanks I would appreciate seeing a copy of the article. If they can be built square and with out grills they would be of interest as a project.