AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bricasti Design

Bricasti Design Listen To The Possibilities

Old 01-10-2016, 09:17 PM

Update on above...

I'll have my Bricasti M1 this week, with latest firmware installed and look forward to comparing it with my other DACs. It will likely take center stage in my system for a while.

I hope to get the M28's within the next few months.

Last edited by Art Vandelay; 01-11-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:14 PM

Looking forward to your reports.
2 channel system: Parasound JC 1+ Mono Amplifiers; Luxman C900u preamp; Acoustech PH-1P phono preamp; VPI Classic, Ortofon A90; Esoteric K-03 & Vacuum State GMBH modified Sony ES5400 SACD/CD; REVEL Ultima Salon 2; Shunyata EVEREST, Shunyata Sigma V2 XC, Shunyata Sigma & Alpha, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse Series 7 IC's,Phono Cables are Tellurium Q Silver Diamond, Audience, Lessloss, Acrolink, Teresonic Silver EXP, Tellurium Q Silver Diamond speaker cables; HyperSpike HS-5 rack;Stillpoints Ultra 5 V2 under amps & preamp
Old 01-11-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Update on above... I'll have my Bricasti M1 this week, with latest firmware installed and look forward to comparing it with my other DACs. It will likely take center stage in my system for a while. I hope to get the M28's within the next few months.
Congratulations!
Will look forward to your impressions.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:42 AM

Well, it's now installed into the system and I've only had a brief audition, but long enough to get a grip on the new sound.

It's perhaps an understatement to say, but thus far I'm very impressed. It's such a neutral sounding DAC - in a very good way. There's no part of the spectrum that's out of place and there's a top-to-bottom coherence that one usually associates with pure analog, and which is a quality that belongs only to dac's of the very highest echelon.

I've had a Auralic Vega in the system for several weeks prior and the Bricasti M1 easily matches the level of resolution and delineation of complex ensembles, but it brings a new level of realism to the table. It's more open as well as liquid at the top, more three dimensional and presents a more natural attack and decay of transients. Oh, and although I'm generally very lenient when it comes to shortcomings in the bass, I need to say that the Bricasti's bass really stunned me; not because it stands out in any way but because it's simply so damn perfect. My attention was drawn to the very lack of artificial fatness and bloom, and that all-to-rare rare combination of speed and extension.

I should point out that I've previously heard the Bricasti in other people's systems, but now hearing it in my own confirms my thoughts about this DAC. It's definitely the best delta-sigma based dac I've heard and it even rivals or bests some of the best R2R dac's out there.

If the Bricasti M1 has shortcomings, and it surely does, they're barely detectable and mostly subtractive rather than additive in nature. In another system several months ago I was able to compare the M1 with a dCS Rossini and a MSB Diamond DAC, and yes I can report that both DAC's raise the bar in certain respects, but IMO only when the Rossini was used with the optional master clock was it clearly superior.

What the Bricasti M1 mostly lacks is the very last vestige of sweetness that the Rossini was able to deliver, and I suspect that that's only possible when all digital artifacts are eliminated; but boy it gets close; really close.

From my POV, the Bricasti M1 is the only DAC under $10k that's up to playing in the big league, so until I can bring myself to part with the cash required for a Rossini + clock this DAC is my new reference.

Note:
FTR, my music source is pc server based - but the pc is 100% silent / fan-less, all SSD and powered by a low noise linear supply, and uses a dedicated jcat usb PCIe card which is powered by its own dedicated linear / low noise series regulator followed by a discrete shunt regulator - which also powers the Bricasti's USB receiver.

Last edited by Art Vandelay; 01-12-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:31 AM

Hi!

My M1 is updated. I wonder what the Syncwide/Syncfine setting is doing. And what users hear from it...

Anyone?

Best regards Wilhelm
Old 05-01-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm Kabus View Post
Hi! My M1 is updated. I wonder what the Syncwide/Syncfine setting is doing. And what users hear from it... Anyone? Best regards Wilhelm
Soundstage focus is increased considerably. Not in a forced forward fashion however. Seems to really snap things into focus, which is really strange to say as I never found it lacking in any department before. The SyncFine setting is a really nice upgrade.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:48 AM

A friend of mine has just sent his M1 off be upgraded, and we'll be having a shoot-out between his and mine when his returns.

Mine hasn't been upgraded but I've performed a minor modification to the analogue output stage so that the 4 op-amps per channel are biased into class A operation, which has given performance a nice lift.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:30 AM

I got my M1 SE on May 1. I did not even know about the fine vs the wide setting. I find the fine setting to be a major improvement. It makes the dac much more transparent from top to bottom. I feel the bass is tighter and the dac now speaks with one voice. I can see in a lean system one probably would choose the wide setting. I am using Wireworld's best usb cable going into a Regen into the dac. I tried the Intona, but it does not work with the Bricasti. Brian said the M1 already had Galvanic isolation, boy they sure do their home work.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:57 PM

Since yesterday I'm just another happy owner of M1 SE.I suppose that this is the first one in Poland.
Before it I had in my system:Ayon Stratos,TAD C2000,Aesthetix Pandora,Jeff Rowland Aeris,Auralic Vega and DCS Debussy.
After 20 hours of working it keeps me in the state of euphoria!
There was no problem for Brian to make a custom version for me.
I can only say: thanks a lot!

Last edited by sonusfaber@; 06-03-2016 at 01:37 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonusfaber@ View Post
Since yesterday I'm just another happy owner of M1 SE.I suppose that this is the first one in Poland. Before it I had in my system:Ayon Stratos,TAD C2000,Aesthetix Pandora,Jeff Rowland Aeris,Auralic Vega and DCS Debussy. After 20 hours of working it keeps me in the state of euphoria! There was no problem for Brian to make a custom version for me. I can only say: thanks a lot!
Congrats!