AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 12-14-2014, 01:22 AM

Default KX-R Twenty and MX-R Twenty combo

Any owners out there care to share their thoughts? Likely getting these this March...
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers
Old 12-14-2014, 02:44 PM
Merry Christmas to all

jax4736.......I have no personal experience with the Ayre MX-R or the KX-R but I have found myself lusting for these components for years. All of the comments I have read about the new Twenty versions indicate Ayre has stepped up the performance with the amplifier and the preamplifier. I don't see how a person could go wrong building a sound system around these Ayre components. Beyond their fabulous performance they are amazing works of art in their design and construction. I will be looking forward to your comments next year when you bring these sweet audio components home.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-14-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax4736 View Post
Any owners out there care to share their thoughts? Likely getting these this March...
I up graded my KXR and MXR to the 20s i am happy with them any thing you wish to know ask
Old 12-14-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
I up graded my KXR and MXR to the 20s i am happy with them any thing you wish to know ask
Thanks Garth - I would be moving from the KX-5 and VX-5 combo, which is pretty impressive. I used to have the K-5xeMP and V-5xe combo over a year ago.
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers
Old 12-15-2014, 04:13 AM

Did my upgrades with the Singapore dealer in Oct (KX-R) and Nov (MX-Rs).

The sound signatures are completely different. Very detailed sounding and seems to have higher resolution from the former KX-R / MX-R, very revealing especially on Classical music. Only CON is it seems that the new "Twenties" need "warming up" as well as "Running in" time. Straight-out-of-the-box , they sound slightly "edgy". It's gone after a few hours of warming up.

(Audio)
Old 12-15-2014, 01:50 PM

I leave my Ayre gear on all the time, so I won't be too concerned about break-in. I would be using my primary digital source, the QB-9 DSD DAC. Wish I had been able to get a DX-5 DSD but they aren't available anymore.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
I leave my Ayre gear on all the time, so I won't be too concerned about break-in. I would be using my primary digital source, the QB-9 DSD DAC. Wish I had been able to get a DX-5 DSD but they aren't available anymore.
I leave mine on 24-7 as well I agree with the above posts on the sound, a big change for the better.

I have the DX5 mainly use it for DVDs as most of my music is Vinyl .

I feel this up grade will not cheap is worth it.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:28 PM

These two pieces are on my radar for 2015, absolutely. If the stars align right, I should have them by late March/early April.

I sure hope Ayre has an R series digital source in the works - either that, or maybe I'll look at dCS as a digital source. I love my QB-9 DSD. I use Shunyata power cords, and that QB-9 is hard to keep in place when I put it on Myrtle Wood Blocks.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
These two pieces are on my radar for 2015, absolutely. If the stars align right, I should have them by late March/early April.

I sure hope Ayre has an R series digital source in the works - either that, or maybe I'll look at dCS as a digital source. I love my QB-9 DSD. I use Shunyata power cords, and that QB-9 is hard to keep in place when I put it on Myrtle Wood Blocks.
I do not know how this idea works for you but . I sent my DX5 in for the upgrades it made a vast improvement . You might want to call Ayre and ask if you bought a used DX5 as one poster said they are no longer in production. Ask if Ayre would still do the up grades it would be like a new unit. It would be far better than the old DX5 IMO. If the DX5 is a unit that works for you it might fill the bill. Just a thought. Ayre is easy to talk with on the phone or your dealer may have the answers .
Old 12-16-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:

I have loved my MXR's, my dealers MXR's just went off to the factory for the twenty update...so I'll get to hear the twenties in my system in 2-3 weeks...excited based on the feedback I am reading here...

I don't think you can go wrong upgrading to R series...I might suggest a used dCS Scarlatti as a DAC however...I think you might be blown away...The Scarlatti's are pretty reasonable used now that Vivaldi is out. dCS may have factory certified units also...just a option to consider.

Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
Preamp: Robert Koda K10 Amp: Ayre MX-R
Cables: Transparent Opus MM2 Spkr, Opus Gen 5 Interconnect
Power Shunyata Triton/Typhon, Anaconda Zitron cords (x9)
Digital dCS Vivaldi DAC, Transport & Clock w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Schroder LT arm, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish & Lyra Atlas, Nagra VPS/VFS
Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x2)