AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 01-14-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid View Post
There is a new Tympani coming out from what I hear..

As for the 3.7i +DMW panels.. no they do not equal a 20.7. The 20.7's use a double sided magnet system so they are pushing and pulling from both sides of the speaker where as the 3.7i's only utilize a single side magnet system. I have no idea what they are going to do with the tympani setup.
So ... where do you hear this from? Nobody has talked about this on the audio asylum planar forum? I asked over there and no hits so far. So where did you hear this from?
Old 01-14-2017, 07:29 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoove View Post
They had the true ribbon tweeters, correct?
Regards,
Jim
The Tympani IVa had the same ribbon tweeter as the Magnepan III. A very nice early effort by Jim Winey.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 01-14-2017, 10:36 PM

I heard from my dealer in N.C.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:40 AM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Being one of the incredibly old audiophiles, I am pleased to tell you that I was alive and well during the early days of Magneplanar (Magnepan) and actually owned three (3) different pairs of Tympani speakers.

Much later in my life, I owned a pair of Magnepan 20.1 speakers. (not 20.7). I also owned 3.6's but didn't think them to be in the same league as the other two.

Being old, memory does fail me, but best I can recall was that the Tympani moved a lot more air and filled quite large rooms to a magnificent degree. And the midrange of rhe Tympani was the most incredible sound I'd ever heard. Imaging was spectacular and you could truly listen and have the feeling that "you were there". Small groups of performers and symphony orchestras were presented in a most realistic fashion.

The Tympani speakers were superb . . . . but top to bottom, the 20.1s probably sounded better. But, they did not image as well, nor could they fill a room to the degree that the Tympani's did with aplomb. No doubt the 20.1 ribbon tweeters are more accurate which did fill out the highs without harming the wonderful midrange. The bottom end was very full and accurate. They just didn't sound as large as the Tympani.

But, give me the choice between a pair of 3 panel Tympani and a pair of Maggie 20.1's - I would choose the Tympani.

Now, I have not owned 20.7's. I have listened to them but not extensively, and I do know that they are supposed to be superior to the 20.1's so they may be game changers, but I surely would love to find me another pair of Tympanis - but I am absolutely certain that if Magnepan should re-introduce these speakers, I probably couldn't afford them
Julian once again our pathes cross. I had Timpani 1D's bi-amped by two ARC D100-A amps, EC83 tube crossover and SP6B preamp. Everybody wanted to party at my house, they sounded wonderful. AND!!!!!!! they could double as room deviders when not in use.

Be well my friend: Tom D.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:06 PM
Subaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doguniverse View Post
I heard from my dealer in N.C.
Any...details for us?

TT-Revox B791, A/V Receiver-Yamaha Aventage 2010, Blu-Ray- Sony 1000 Universal Player, Amplifier-Cinepro 3K6E Mkii, Fronts- Mirage M3si, Rear-Mirage OM-9, 5 other Mirage surrounds. Subwoofer- Stereo Integrity HST-18 inch w/ 85lb. magnet, 4 1/2 inches of travel.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:11 PM

All he could say was sometime this year... I hope.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:55 PM
Subaholic

Forgot to ask, where is the NC dealer located? Raleigh or Charlotte?

TT-Revox B791, A/V Receiver-Yamaha Aventage 2010, Blu-Ray- Sony 1000 Universal Player, Amplifier-Cinepro 3K6E Mkii, Fronts- Mirage M3si, Rear-Mirage OM-9, 5 other Mirage surrounds. Subwoofer- Stereo Integrity HST-18 inch w/ 85lb. magnet, 4 1/2 inches of travel.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:18 PM

audio advice in raleigh
Old 01-15-2017, 08:31 PM

ask for Ivan Halbach
Old 01-16-2017, 02:10 AM

So if this is true. I wonder where it would fall in the lineup ?