AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 08-13-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
If a crossover is what you want, you should get a stand alone crossover like the PassLabs or Bryston. The MEN220 is good for DSP, but is lacking the adjustability of a good crossover. The PassLabs is the Rolls Royce. The Bryston is the S-class Mercedes.

Bryston has a model specifically for use with subwoofers--10B-SUB, and it works superbly with subs, offering great adjustability for tuning them into your system. Several AA members use it. The PassLabs XVR1 can be used for anything and is buy far, the most adjustable, much more adjustable than you need for a subwoofer, but is what you need if you want a three-way or more-way active system.
MEN220 has a 2-Way Crossover capability as well as the custom EQ option.....
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer
Old 08-13-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfray View Post
MEN220 has a 2-Way Crossover capability as well as the custom EQ option.....
Yes, but I do not believe the crossover is as adjustable as the Bryston.

The MEN220 might work OK, but you will have to get input from people who use its crossover function with a sub.

PAGING MEN220 owners using the crossover function with subwoofers!!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
Yes, but I do not believe the crossover is as adjustable as the Bryston.

The MEN220 might work OK, but you will have to get input from people who use its crossover function with a sub.

PAGING MEN220 owners using the crossover function with subwoofers!!
I have used the crossover function with the subwoofer and liked the results.... but am currently using the high level input into the REL G-1 (thus also the REL's crossover). I admit that I am biased.....
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer
Old 08-13-2012, 09:31 PM

I need to read more about the 10B-SUB.....looks interesting Gary.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfray View Post
I have used the crossover function with the subwoofer and liked the results.... but am currently using the high level input into the REL G-1 (thus also the REL's crossover). I admit that I am biased.....
Doing that partially "tunes in" your sub, but it does not "tune out" your main speakers or relieve your power amp of the extreme low frequencies either. You will also still have overlap between the sub and mains.

The separate active crossover enables you to (forgive my analogy) convert a three way main speaker into a four-way system WITH the sub, instead of having a three way main speaker AND a separate sub. The crossover enables more seamless integration of the sub, instead of merely an addition of a sub. (I hope my analogy was OK)

BTW, the photo you posted is of the 10B-STD. It looks exactly like the 10B-SUB, but I can read the frequency crossover choices, and what I see are the ones on the 10B-STD. The 10B-SUB has more finely divided and lower frequency choices. Bryston may be using the same photo for each piece on their website.

Last edited by GaryProtein; 08-13-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:23 PM

If you want to change the sound quite a bit, open it up with greater transparency quickness and slam (but perhaps less color)--switch from Lamms to Dags. If you want the same sound as you have only with greater height, width and slam--move to the Maxx 3. IMHO Maxx 3 exceeds Sasha in most ways, but not all ways. Sashas are seamless---almost like monitors--- a trick which Maxx cannot quite duplicate. In most other ways Maxx are phenomenal.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 08-14-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new order View Post
in hifi news the october issue 2010 you can read this.

When was maxx 3 released?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:23 AM

I tried the Bryston and it totally sucked the life out of the sound, not at all transparent IMO.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
Interesting. How does the Thor improve midrange and treble? How do you integrate a sub without inserting a crossover of sorts (which in my experience degrades the sound a lot)? And if you don't use a crossover you're doubling up the low frequencies...
I completely agree with Gary. I have never done anything to my system that improved the sound more than adding the Thor/Watch Controller. To say that I was amazed is an understatement. I run a HP/LP configuration with my MAXXes. I was going to run everything full range but I said to myself, what the heck, I'll try the active configuration just because I can. When I heard the sound I never looked back. This is just my own personal experience.

Let me also say that Sasha's and MAXXes are ideal for Thors. The bass quality matches/blends perfectly. If anything, Thor bass is quicker and better than Sasha/MAXX bass.

I say again if I had to choose between a Sasha/Thor/Watch Controller combo vs. a MAXX3, I'd choose the former hands down, no contest. Let me also say that as far as pieces of equipment go, the Wilson Watch Controller is the best piece of electronics as far as transparency is concerned that I have ever had in my system. There are certain secrets for remarkable improvements in sound that folks are either unaware of or simply don't believe. The Thor/Wilson Watch Controller is one of them. I just lucked into my present system. The sub came available at an unbelievable price and so did the Controller.

Let me say again, in all my years in audio I have never seen such a piece of equipment as the Thor subwoofer, and in addition the Watch Controller.

Last edited by Charles; 08-15-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I completely agree with Gary. I have never done anything to my system that improved the sound more than adding the Thor/Watch Controller. To say that I was amazed is an understatement. I run a HP/LP configuration with my MAXXes. I was going to run everything full range but I said to myself, what the heck, I'll try the active configuration just because I can. When I heard the sound I never looked back. This is just my own personal experience.

Let me also say that Sasha's and MAXXes are ideal for Thors. The bass quality matches/blends perfectly. If anything, Thor bass is quicker and better than Sasha/MAXX bass.

I say again if I had to choose between a Sasha/Thor/Watch Controller combo vs. a MAXX3, I'd choose the former hands down, no contest. Let me also say that as far as pieces of equipment go, the Wilson Watch Controller is the best piece of electronics as far as transparency is concerned that I have ever had in my system. There are certain secrets for remarkable improvements in sound that folks are either unaware of or simply don't believe. The Thor/Wilson Watch Controller is one of them. I just lucked into my present system. The sub came available at an unbelievable price and so did the Controller.

Let me say again, in all my years in audio I have never seen such a piece of equipment as the Thor subwoofer, and in addition the Watch Controller.
wow, you guys really have me wondering here...I have maxx 3's...was maybe thinking I could trying and step up to Alexandria's (or Rockports) next year....but adding a thor/watch controller...I hadn't even considered...