AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 07-28-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ompid View Post
Lots of new vinyl re-issues, and clearance pieces on SoundStageDirect.com

Lots of rock titles, if that's your thing.

I have bought from them, and customer service is first-rate. I got an LP with a pinch warp in it, and they sent another out, right away.
Thanks for the site. This site did offer a lot more than just Jazz and Classic Rock. Ordered four from the site.
Jim
Old 07-29-2009, 07:33 AM

Glad I was able to help.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:33 PM

To non-audiophiles, we are all certifiably insane.. its a matter of perspective... !
Old 07-30-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haurock View Post
To non-audiophiles, we are all certifiably insane.. its a matter of perspective... !
I'm no longer schizophrenic, we're feeling much better now.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
Last night I decided to try a find some albums to order. I started with the Elusivedisc site after trying to plod thru the Amazon site the day before. I went thru 231 pages with 20 albums per page. (Over 4600 discs) For the most part I couldn't find diddley squat. When I was done I had 4 albums in my shopping basket. For those for albums they wanted $112 before shipping. The really bad part was I already owned 3 of the 4 on CD.

Now I saw maybe another 20 or so discs I considered but they were asking about $30 to $40 for those, and one was $59.

I am nervous about shopping for used discs for a assume they are going to be noisier than a new disc. I will have to give that a try though.

The people who are into vinyl must listen to Jazz or Classic Rock because there is not a great deal of newer music out there.
Jim
Jim,

You`re not nuts. I agree with you about the prices and I buy alot of new vinyl and cd`s every week or so. There`s lots of good music out there on vinyl and I have had good luck with Acoustic Sounds and their Indi Store. I have also had good luck with pre owned titles that are reasonable in price. A good friend of mine owns a store in Nashville called Grimeys(Grimey's New & Preloved Music) and I buy most of my tunes there plus I support the brick & mortor stores as much as I can.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basite View Post
True, new vinyl has the tendency to be "expensive", and to be honest, I've had more luck by buying secondhand than with new vinyl. I find original pressings to sound better than new re-issues, only in certain cases the new albums equalled or bettered the originals.
Your findings differ from my gut feeling / my expectation [please know that this is merely speculation on my part].

I was thinking that *used* albums would often be victims of poor quality cartridges, TT's, tonearms, and owner abuse thus creating hiss and crackling issues. Whereas, new albums would hopefully be free of any hiss and crackles allowing the first owner [you and I] to handle them with care and also spin them on much nicer, higher quality equipment.

Again, speculation only, but I would expect that true audiophiles who own TT's and albums would not be the typical suppliers of used record stores. Instead, the *used* inventory would more likely be the byproduct of lesser committed vinyl enthusiasts who, therefore, may not have stored the albums all that well once they lost interest. And, as stated earlier, played those albums on lesser quality equipment.

Basically, I just described myself as a high school and college student who shifted to CD. My vinyl equipment back then was OK, at best, and I am sure I was damaging the vinyl with each playback [albeit slightly and unintentionally]. My albums are long gone, but I would expect that they would all have hiss and crackles due to my use and subtle abuse.

The concern that I have is whether I can actually find new releases of many of my favorite rock albums from the 70's and early 80's. I can find practically anything on CD. Albums, on the other hand, seem to be a hit or miss scenario, and I don't know if vinyl demands remastering across the board - it seems doubtful. That steers me back to *used* albums for those impossible to find new releases, and my aforementioned expectations about *used* albums puts hesitation into my return to vinyl. I cannot see making a large investment into vinyl hardware if I won't be able to freely purchase the albums I desire. Presently, I might find an album by a 70's group, but not the five or so that I once owned.

Thoughts on new releases of 70's and 80's rock music: i.e. Doors, Tom Petty, Stones, Yes, etc. etc. will it keep coming???
Old 12-06-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Channel View Post
Thoughts on new releases of 70's and 80's rock music: i.e. Doors, Tom Petty, Stones, Yes, etc. etc. will it keep coming???
As long as people keep buying vinyl, yes. Doors, Tom Petty, Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, etc.. are available on new vinyl and many have been painstakingly remastered and many sound great.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:26 PM

As someone who owns four turntables (down from six), ten cartridges and about 5,000 LP's I am not a reasonable person to judge whether you are nuts or not!

Hopefully, you are having a good experience though. Vinyl has always been a LOVE/HATE thing for me!

But it hasn't dampened my enthusiasm....

So I guess I'm the crazy one.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:35 AM

I am feeling slightly deja vu here Tone.

I have 4 turntables, 11 working carts and around 4700 LP's and still can't get enough vinyl.

I am even stupid enough to buy Neil Young box sets of his first 4 albums @ 177 each , even thou I have the albums anyway. they do sound pretty darn good thou.

If you like new music, go to Amazon.com - plenty of vinyl
Old 12-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
I am feeling slightly deja vu here Tone.

I have 4 turntables, 11 working carts and around 4700 LP's and still can't get enough vinyl.

I am even stupid enough to buy Neil Young box sets of his first 4 albums @ 177 each , even thou I have the albums anyway. they do sound pretty darn good thou.

If you like new music, go to Amazon.com - plenty of vinyl
Shane.......At the peak of my vinyl collecting days I had just over 1200 albums, and I thought that was a lot. Compared with your 4700 albums, I was hardly started. Your album collection could keep you entertained for a long time. A qucik calculation tells me if you listened to your albums for 8 hours a day, you would not repeat a single song for approximately 293 days. That's a serious collection.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 12-08-2009 at 12:07 PM.