AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Focal Speakers

Focal Speakers The Spirit of Sound

Old 09-04-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegt3 View Post
When I audition components, I don't really compare one model against another. I audition each and try to assess how closely it recreates the illusion of a live musical performance. Of course this presumes you know what live music sounds like. I listen mostly to classical music and I have the experience of attending live concerts. I am particularly critical of midrange performance and recordings of voice and piano are very useful for making this assessment. I would go for the speaker that generates the "goose bump" factor the most for you.
Thank you. I've only been to a few live classical concerts and despite that 50% of my listening is classical. The other is rock, movie soundtracks (love em) and techno. I'll keep the live music idea in my mind. For my new speakers I know I want a tighter, faster bass than my current N802s and I'm really sensitive to overly bright highs. A lot of this audition will be to make sure those two aspects are satisfactory.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintakaX View Post
Thank you. I've only been to a few live classical concerts and despite that 50% of my listening is classical. The other is rock, movie soundtracks (love em) and techno. I'll keep the live music idea in my mind. For my new speakers I know I want a tighter, faster bass than my current N802s and I'm really sensitive to overly bright highs. A lot of this audition will be to make sure those two aspects are satisfactory.
Great choice in music-we need more audiophiles like you.
Favourite techno tracks?
Old 09-05-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Under View Post
Great choice in music-we need more audiophiles like you.
Favourite techno tracks?
Cool ! I think techno plays really well on good systems because most of the content is pretty well mastered with individual frequency groups having their own space.

A couple of my favorites are: Christopher Lawerence : Rise->Phreaks, Christopher Lawerence : Trilogy Part 1-> Rhythm of life (love the TB-303 synth), also a few tracks on Donald Glaude: Mixed Live -> Planar and Under Pressure.

Its kind of funny when I audition equipment at stores and ask them to play some techno tracks
Old 09-05-2018, 08:45 PM

I auditioned the Sopra 3s and B&W 802 D3s today. I first heard the Sopras hooked up to all Mark Levinson gear. They sounded very nice, but I immediately realized that they were not warm enough for my taste. I much preferred the B&Ws, which were driven by McIntosh equipment. They did not have any Scalas to listen to. I ended up ordering the 802 D3s.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:37 PM

I always found b&w diamond tweeter to be bright and biting with female voices. That wasn't the case for you?
Old 09-05-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I auditioned the Sopra 3s and B&W 802 D3s today. I first heard the Sopras hooked up to all Mark Levinson gear. They sounded very nice, but I immediately realized that they were not warm enough for my taste. I much preferred the B&Ws, which were driven by McIntosh equipment. They did not have any Scalas to listen to. I ended up ordering the 802 D3s.
Congratualations, you chose well. The 802 D3s are stunning - you'll have many hours of enjoyment with them.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsBuddy View Post
I always found b&w diamond tweeter to be bright and biting with female voices. That wasn't the case for you?
Thanks for the heads up. Admittedly I did not play any female vocals at the audition. Female vocals probably occupy a small percentage of my listening, yet I hope this isn't the case when I get them home. I was listening hard for any brightness and heard none in the content I listened to . There is a very fair 30 day satisfaction guarantee from my dealer and I really hate bright sounds, so I'll be alert for this. Maybe the Mac equipment mellows it ?
Old 09-06-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncha View Post
Congratualations, you chose well. The 802 D3s are stunning - you'll have many hours of enjoyment with them.
Thank you !
Old 09-06-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. Admittedly I did not play any female vocals at the audition. Female vocals probably occupy a small percentage of my listening, yet I hope this isn't the case when I get them home. I was listening hard for any brightness and heard none in the content I listened to . There is a very fair 30 day satisfaction guarantee from my dealer and I really hate bright sounds, so I'll be alert for this. Maybe the Mac equipment mellows it ?
I own Sopra 3s and I almost bought 805 d3s recently when I got my Contours. I wouldn't worry, when set up correctly I don't think there is harshness in either speaker.

Audio research LS28SE preamplifier, Aurender N10 Streamer, Topping D90 DAC, McIntosh MC462 amplifier. Focal Sopra 3 speakers. Salamander Archetype rack, Symposium Acoustics Segue shelves, Silver Eclipse 7 XLRs, Shunyata Everest power conditioner, Alpha V2, Delta V2 and Venom V2 10/12 power cords, and Audioquest Oak speaker cables. GIK Acoustic's bass soffits and 244 bass trap Art panels room treatments. Sony XBR75X900e 4K TV and Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray player
Old 09-09-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Congrats!
Hope you have many hours of techno listening.