AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 09-04-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
There are many great CD format nowadays like Shm-CD, Shm-XRCD, blu-spec CD, AMCD, LPCD, AQCD, HQCD, DSD CD, etc.

Serge, did you get a chance to listen to some EAR amp? would love to know how they compare with the Shindo.
Not in the last 8 years or so. I may look into getting an EAR amp just for fun. I can even drive it with the Acute directly.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Not in the last 8 years or so. I may look into getting an EAR amp just for fun. I can even drive it with the Acute directly.
Let us know when you do! I predict it will be another delicious amp.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:25 AM

Serge...any updates on how the EAR CD player is coming along? Also, can you remnd me what retail is on that unit? Do you know if the DAC-only version is the same as the unit you have minus the CD transport or are there any differences in the digital board and/or the analog output stage? Thx
Old 05-22-2012, 02:41 AM

Serge, can you let me know what differences you hear between your Ayon CD2 and the Ear Aucte CD?

I currently have an Ayon Skylla DAC, which is great, but I find it lacking ultimate musicality going into my ARC Ref setup. I believe I am looking for better prat and a more organic sound...
Old 05-22-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsajid View Post
Serge, can you let me know what differences you hear between your Ayon CD2 and the Ear Aucte CD?

I currently have an Ayon Skylla DAC, which is great, but I find it lacking ultimate musicality going into my ARC Ref setup. I believe I am looking for better prat and a more organic sound...
What you seek is exactly what the EAR Acute III will bring.

The Ayon is a fantastic tube CDP and it comes across as very detailed and resolving with excellent dynamic transients, punch, drive. It is more of an extrovert in the sense that it brings forward and spotlights every little detail on the soundstage and still manages to come across as a very, very refined sounding CDP. Is it musical? Absolutely, in the right system that has a bit more warmth, it compliments that type of system very nicely. In a more neutral system it will make those poor quality recordings more obvious.

The EAR Acute III has plenty PRAT as I discovered between my two systems but it is a more organic, wholesome type of sound where the music comes across as even keel without being tilted into the resolving, analytical side of things. It is very musical but a more neutral system is probably best to experience great balance with this CDP. It has been said that EAR CDP sounds more like vinyl! I would have to agree but that does not imply any of the negatives! I preferred my Ayon with the Shindo/Tannoy and I prefer EAR with D'Agonstino/Wilson. I would suggest you audition both if possible but I would lean towards the EAR with the ARC if I had to make a suggestion since I've also tried ARC (REF5SE/REF210s) and (REF40th and REF250s) in my room with both CDPs.

Hope this helps in your decision!
Old 05-22-2012, 02:06 PM

Serge, thank you very much for your excellent input.

I find the ARC Ref 5 SE (600 hours) and REF 210 (500 hours) setup a bit lean for my taste, so the EAR may be ideal to make the sound more organic and fuller. Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to audition the EAR in my room, but will have to make a judgement call.

What are your thoughts on running the EAR and the Ayon directly into the amp, bypassing the pre altogether?

BTW, I really enjoy the videos of your various systems. Excellent taste in equipment and mustc
Old 05-22-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:

I find the ARC Ref 5 SE (600 hours) and REF 210 (500 hours) setup a bit lean for my taste, so the EAR may be ideal to make the sound more organic and fuller. Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to audition the EAR in my room, but will have to make a judgement call.

What are your thoughts on running the EAR and the Ayon directly into the amp, bypassing the pre altogether?

BTW, I really enjoy the videos of your various systems. Excellent taste in equipment and mustc
I usually like a preamp in the system. I have however tried both units with their preamp features and the EAR transformer coupled tube output stage and analog volume control is as good as it gets if you are not going to be using a higher end preamp in the system. The Ayon unit is also very good.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post

The EAR Acute III has plenty PRAT as I discovered between my two systems but it is a more organic, wholesome type of sound where the music comes across as even keel without being tilted into the resolving, analytical side of things.

Hope this helps in your decision!
Sounds like many EAR products, including the 324!

Great writeup, Serge.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Sounds like many EAR products, including the 324!

Great writeup, Serge.
Yes, seems to hold true with the EAR I have heard or owned.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:

karsajid...I expect the leanness you are hearing from your components is resulting more from the 210s than the 5SE. The 5SE and the current line up of power amps (150/250/750) have filled out the sound, adding some meat on the bones, relative to the previous line up (Ref 3, 110/210, etc...). Have you had a chance to try out the 250s in your system?