AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 04-14-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sander View Post
Thanks so much for your reply.
By finding it’s hard to discribe the tonal balance, you are actually answering my question very well.

And you are very right. One would never think in terms of warm or bright with live music.
You also see that with the very best audio equipment; the reviewer always finds its hard to discribe the character of the unit when it performs just like live music.

The more i go back in time it becomes easier to discribe the tonal characters of Shunyata’s powercords. That says a lot. Over the years they have become better and better.
And now we are at the point that we find its very hard to discribe them.

I wonder who‘ll still wants to be a professional reviewer of Shunyata products in ten years time.

I’m looking forward to read your findings of the Alpha V2.
The best I can say with the SIGMA NR V2 is that it does not seem to impart any tonal balance of its own, the music simply sounds real to me in terms of integrity of instruments. There is an emphasis on midrange sonority and quality but it is not midrange forward at all.

Silver...the only evidence of silver i beleive i heard is incredible speed and articulation, no bright or harsh edges at all.

FWIW...
Old 04-15-2020, 12:13 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
The best I can say with the SIGMA NR V2 is that it does not seem to impart any tonal balance of its own, the music simply sounds real to me in terms of integrity of instruments. There is an emphasis on midrange sonority and quality but it is not midrange forward at all.

Silver...the only evidence of silver i beleive i heard is incredible speed and articulation, no bright or harsh edges at all.

FWIW...
100% accurate.

I know it sounds like a cliché to say it sounds like "real music", but....it does. It sounds more like real music than any PC I've heard.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
100% accurate.

I know it sounds like a cliché to say it sounds like "real music", but....it does. It sounds more like real music than any PC I've heard.
Thanks Puma Cat, your reviews are very helpful and informative.

I'm wondering if you or anyone might be able to comment on experiences over the last 2 generations of shunyata cables. We all know that each next generation is an amazing improvement, and in my experience Caelin and the team at Shunyata have been doing their best work ever over the last few years. It can though get a little confusing to know when to upgrade and when the older generation is adequate. Perhaps you can comment on how the NR v2 sounds compared to the NR v1, and also the prior generation of sigma digital and analog cables. Also are there differences in absolute measured noise reduction and DTCD (does DTCD have an absolute value which can be compared between cables?). It would be great to have an experienced ear comment and compare as well as provide any objective measurements.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:06 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMelby View Post
Thanks Puma Cat, your reviews are very helpful and informative.

I'm wondering if you or anyone might be able to comment on experiences over the last 2 generations of shunyata cables. We all know that each next generation is an amazing improvement, and in my experience Caelin and the team at Shunyata have been doing their best work ever over the last few years. It can though get a little confusing to know when to upgrade and when the older generation is adequate. Perhaps you can comment on how the NR v2 sounds compared to the NR v1, and also the prior generation of sigma digital and analog cables. Also are there differences in absolute measured noise reduction and DTCD (does DTCD have an absolute value which can be compared between cables?). It would be great to have an experienced ear comment and compare as well as provide any objective measurements.
Hi Dr. Melby,
I can't comment on cables I haven't heard. I made a big jump last fall in going from Black Mamba CX and HC CX that were about 9-10 years old in design to Venom NR-V12 and V-10 respectively, and those were a BIG jump in performance. I've also beta-tested Delta EF and NR PCs that were prototypes for the new VTX-Ag conductor construction, but I've never heard the Alpha or Sigma NR v1 or earlier Alpha or Sigma PCs, so I can't comment.

As for measured differences in NR or DTCD, I'll leave that to the guys from Shunyata to comment.

What I will say is that the new Alpha NR v2, and to an even larger degree, the new Sigma NRv2 and Sigma XC have, for me, moved out of the realm requiring "audiophile lexicon" to describe them to requiring a new "vocabulary". A lexicon that does not describe "equipment" but rather describes music, or rather, live music.

I've heard from users I trust (e.g. SCAudiophile) and dealers who are straight-up guys, that the new Alpha V2 surpasses the previous Sigma V1, and, based on my listening experiences and comments in this post, I have no reason to doubt them.

This is why I've made the comment above that they represent a paradigm-shift for me.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:13 AM

first post :-) - i really like this forum especially the shunyata threads. great reading about first person perspectives' on these products i am super interested in but that you don't hear so much about sometimes. these user reviews are fantastic and i like that it is focussed on perceptions/subjective.

based on the sigma NR v2 review here and elsewhere Shunyata have achieved something quite significant. so much noise has been taken away and this description of a "live" sound resonates and is desireable.

it seems like it is the QR/BB that is really making this happen as i read a review of the omega in which the reviewer had the same sort of gobsmacked reaction as the OP did here. and that's how this works i think, trickle down tech etc.

one thing i have found noteworthy in regard to these latest reference series of cords (sigma thru to delta in NR and XC variants) is that Shunyata are specifically saying if it is digital use venom instead.

on shunyata website for reference power cords

"For digital-output only electronics, such as clocks, transports, servers, disc-arrays, NAS, computers, routers, network bridges, and for video/film applications, we recommend our value-oriented Venom NR Series power cords. —"

i believe this reinforces the criticality of the QR/BB development. essentially Shunyata are advising (very helpfully in my opinion) to not bother with the big current capacity reference cords for components which won't benefit.

for me this is a paradigm shift. it is not just about filtering noise now. shunyata is now giving a cord (in the reference series) that delivers power on demand faster and better than any other cord (i don't think that is hyperbole, i think that might be an actual fact).

in fact it sort of implies that if all one wants is a noise reduction, go no further than venom.

i have a new alpha coming and i will try that from the wall making for the following chain :alpha NR from wall into furutech flux-50 then into isotek syncro then into nr-v10 then ps8 (with defender). i wish i was adding the new sigma nr v2 at the wall. oh boy!
Old 05-02-2020, 12:56 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gray View Post
first post :-) - i really like this forum especially the shunyata threads. great reading about first person perspectives' on these products i am super interested in but that you don't hear so much about sometimes. these user reviews are fantastic and i like that it is focussed on perceptions/subjective.

based on the sigma NR v2 review here and elsewhere Shunyata have achieved something quite significant. so much noise has been taken away and this description of a "live" sound resonates and is desireable.

it seems like it is the QR/BB that is really making this happen as i read a review of the omega in which the reviewer had the same sort of gobsmacked reaction as the OP did here. and that's how this works i think, trickle down tech etc.

one thing i have found noteworthy in regard to these latest reference series of cords (sigma thru to delta in NR and XC variants) is that Shunyata are specifically saying if it is digital use venom instead.

on shunyata website for reference power cords

"For digital-output only electronics, such as clocks, transports, servers, disc-arrays, NAS, computers, routers, network bridges, and for video/film applications, we recommend our value-oriented Venom NR Series power cords. —"

i believe this reinforces the criticality of the QR/BB development. essentially Shunyata are advising (very helpfully in my opinion) to not bother with the big current capacity reference cords for components which won't benefit.

for me this is a paradigm shift. it is not just about filtering noise now. shunyata is now giving a cord (in the reference series) that delivers power on demand faster and better than any other cord (i don't think that is hyperbole, i think that might be an actual fact).

in fact it sort of implies that if all one wants is a noise reduction, go no further than venom.

i have a new alpha coming and i will try that from the wall making for the following chain :alpha NR from wall into furutech flux-50 then into isotek syncro then into nr-v10 then ps8 (with defender). i wish i was adding the new sigma nr v2 at the wall. oh boy!
Mr. Gray,

Welcome to AA.

Your conclusions from reading the first-hand user reviews are insightful and accurate.

Just some additional info for your consideration and to provide context around which power cords to use for specific applications.

For components that remain fully in the "digital domain", where the input is digital and the output is digital, the Venon V14D Digital is the best power cord. This cord was developed in Shunyata's sister company, Clear Image Scientific, for digital imaging applications, e.g. a digital heart monitor, etc. It is purpose-designed for use with clocks, disc transports, music servers, disc-arrays, NAS, computers, routers, network bridges, streamers, etc. V14D has a somewhat different noise filter design than the other NR-type power cords in that it is designed to deal with specific digital domain noise components.

For D/A Convertors, phono stages, pres and amps, disc players that are also performing D/A conversion, the other NR series of power cords are the best choice. The component informs which PC might be best-suited. For example, for an Oppo 105/205, etc. I'd probably use a Venom NR-V10, or if budget was constrained, an NR-V12. For a DAC or Pre, Venom NR-V10 is an excellent power cord, and the Delta NR v2 provides a notable and audible step up improvement in audio quality and performance (the VTX-Ag and CopperCONN connectors really pay off here).

For reference-grade components, Alpha NR v2 gets you into that "magic zone" in which I've found that traditional audiophile lexicon and terminology no longer applies, and which differentiates Alpha and Sigma NR from other power cords.

For your application, my recommendation would have been either Delta XC or Alpha XC to power the PS 8 power distributor. Personally, I would forego the Furutech Flux-50 as, in my experience, it will be superfluous in this application. I've never heard the Isotek, so I can't comment on what it brings to the table, but given that you're getting an Alpha NR PC, if it has a plug compatible for powering your PS8 directly, I would try it with and without the Isotek, give each config a few days to settle, and then go with what sounds best. You may find that Alpha NR powering your PS8 directly sounds better than having the IsoTek in the power distribution chain. Or not. Try it and see what you prefer. Personally, I am not a fan of anything that utilizes coils, chokes, inductors, transformers, etc. in a power distribution chain, because while these components will solve one or another "problem", they usually cause problems or functional conflicts for other parameters, the most notable of which is generally negatively impacting DTCD.

I don't know what other PCs you'll be using to power the components connected to your PS8. My recommendation would be to use as many Shunyata PCs as possible for these components that is within your budget. Even using the Venom HC V2 is significantly better than using generic black PCs.

In general, it is best to allocate your budget to use the best PC for the distributor and then choose the best PCs you can for as many components as you can within the remainder your budget.

Here's a couple suggested hypothetical setups with a budget of $4K for 1 power distributor (PD) and 3 components: Amp, Preamp and DAC.

Config 1:
PD: Delta XC
Amp: Delta NRv2
Pre: Delta NRv2
DAC: Delta NRv2

Config 2:
PD: Alpha XC
Amp: Delta NRv2
Pre: Venom NRv10
DAC: Venom NRv10

I'm not sure which of these two configurations would sound better than the other at an a level of "absolute sound"; they would both sound superb. My thought is Config 1 might sound a bit better as it has higher-spec PCs across the board, but Config 2 might be better over the longer term as you'd have the better PC on the PD and could upgrade the Venom NR-V10s as finances allow.

Hope you find this info helpful. Cheers.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 05-02-2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:05 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

mr_gray... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 05-02-2020, 09:10 PM

thankyou for the kind welcome Puma Cat and MasterLu.

Puma Cat i welcome your suggestions and only wish I could "start all over again" and follow them. right now i have one NR v10 which is a c19 so feeds the distributor. i have one alpha PC. then i have a hodge podge of other stuff.

It is of some relevance that i note i did alot of experimenting last night with layout of power cords. keeping the story short i eventually plugged this into the wall to supply the chain as per sage advice on here. owing to the alpha being c15 and ps8 being c19 i had never done this before. the arrival of the isotek syncro facilitated this in my case. (no A/B test possible there i am afraid).

i admit i thought all of this a bit over the top. being 6 layers of "treatment" (alpha is #1, furutech is #2, isotek is #3, nr v10 is #4, ps8 is #5 and then defender is #6.

it sounded great. i did not really believe it (i was source obsessed) but there is no doubt having the best cord in distributor supply raises the standard everywhere. it sounds like a better system. (although right now it lacks a slight immediacy (i must give it a chance to settle in though).

i think the isotek sounds good (i do have a dc issue it addresses i think) and i was very surprised to see the flux-50 ncf really made a positive improvement feeding the chain (as per the threads from 4 years ago it does open things up and provide some 3d). i have not found it terribly effective relative to say shunyata stuff when just using it on a single component however.

and perhaps of more relevance to the thread, i tried the alpha pc on my high frequency amplifier last night as opposed to the usual position on the CX. this means i compared alot of other cables to the Alpha PC. nothing is even close to what the alpha PC does for the CX. but then i don't have the digital cable Puma Cat describes to compare it too. unfortunately it also had a wonderful impact on my opera 880i tube amp!

so i have one more alpha PC (v1) coming. i don't know whether it will end up on the CX or the Amp. either way i know it will makes things sound even better!

i admire shunyata for their advice (re: non use of reference series on digital in/out devices as per Puma Cat's advice above) but i think they underestimate the standard audiophile's obsession with getting 3d/body out of their system and even on computers the reference series might help with that. i will need a shunyata digital cable to make a truly fair comparison.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:07 PM

Due to the excellent review and subsequent comments in this thread, I plan to audition one or more of these new Shunyata power cords to compare with my present power cords from Shunyata and Synergistic Research.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
The new Sigma NR v2 power cord is near the top of the line of the new Reference Series of NR power cords from Shunyata Research.

The new Reference Series power cords have all new VTX-Ag conductors, CopperCONN connectors, and Shunyata's latest NR noise-reduction technology that significantly reduces noise coming from the component's power supply and going back into the power distribution chain to potentially contaminate other componentry. They are primarily designed to be used for powering components in conjunction with a power distributor, but they can also be used to provide NR for components powered directly from the wall's AC receptacle, e.g. monoblocks or amps that are too far from the location of a central power distributor.

I've had the opportunity to beta test the new Sigma NR v2 power cord for the last few weeks prior to its release on April 3, and for the first application, I installed a single power cord to power my Denali 6000/S V2.

From the first moment I turned on the stereo using this power cord, I was...gobsmacked. I've heard some really good power cords in the last 10 years, but in all honesty, I've never heard a single power cord not only bring such a DEGREE of improvement, but also NATURE of improvement, as well.

The new Sigma NR v2 PC brings the type and nature of presentation that I've only experienced from Shunyata devices that have the QR/BB technology. If you've never experienced what a Triton V3, Typhon QR, Denali, etc. brings to the equation, all I can say is that the classic audiophile terminology we've used for the last 40 years simply does not apply any more. Put quite simply, you have to experience it to "get it".

Most of my experiences with great power cords to this point have resulted in a notable reduction in noise, hash, grunge and a concomitant increase in dynamics, slam, ability to scale incredibly quickly without "compression" and resultant improvements in transparency and resolution. Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that power cords are the most important cables in a high-end system for this reason, and, along with the power distributor, should be the first key purchases of a stereo system to provide clean, quiet, and un-restricted power rather than the final "tweak" of a stereo system. You don't build a superb house on a weak foundation, you build it on the best foundation you can for sound (no pun intended) engineering reasons, and the power distribution of a high-end audio system is no different.

But coming back to the Sigma NR v2....

The first time I head this power cord it was immediately apparent that all the adjectives used in audio reviews for this type of product don't apply. The performance and qualities this power cord brings require a new vocabulary as as well as a new perspective because the nature of the presentation is so fundamentally changed.

If there was just one word I was limited to for describing what the Shunyata NR v2 brings its...Verisimilitude.

Def: Verisimilitude – the appearance of being true or real.

There is realness and authencity that this power cord brings that, quite simply, I've never experienced before. Yes, its got all those audiophile adjectives I've referenced above: notable reduction in noise, hash, grunge and a concomitant increase in dynamics, slam, ability to scale incredibly quickly...yadda, yadda. Yep, its got all that stuff in spades.

But, it has other, more compelling attributes, as well. The Sigma NR v2 provides a very 3D-like simulacrum of the musical presentation that is the most holographic, dimensional, pin-point precise I've experienced. While its sounds amazing on all types of content, on full-scale classical symphonic music, you can really hear what the Sigma NR v2 can do.

Listening to Pepe Romero's classical guitar on Rodrigo's Concerto de Aranjuez by Romero and the Academy of St Martin in the Fields, you can hear the thickness of the spruce top of Romero's guitar. Moreover, you can clearly hear the individual notes, and the subtlety of the notes he is playing completely clearly and fully resolved even with the complexity and scale the full orchestra is going flat-out during a very dynamic passage. You can actually "zero in" with your hearing to every single instrument in the orchestra, and hear what that specific musician is playing within the context of the symphony overall. Normally, during these types of passages, these small and "intricate" details normally get lost against the background of the entire symphony playing en-masse. Not so with the Sigma NR v2.

The Sigma NR v2 provides a type of "resolution" that quite simply, I've not experienced before. The orchestra can swing incredibly quickly and forcefully from soft to loud and you can still pointpoint and hear "into" each individual musician or instrumental voice. On Midnight Blue, I can hear the secondary reflection of Kenny Burrell's guitar, which is miked on the left, splay off the far right wall in the recording studio, for example.

The imaging is also notably improved as well, each musician or instrument being more focused, "palpable'..there's more "meat on the bones" of each instrument, more texture, more timbral accuracy and timbral nuance.

I could go on and on, but to conclude, there is so much more focus, ambiance, rightness to the presentation that it moves from clean, fast and technical (there's all that, those audiophile attributes, to be sure, but much more) to such a natural and "organic" quality that it sounds as if you are in the room with the musicians as they create the music that instant. Analogies again fail here but if I had to make them its like going from an Apple iTunes track to listening to the recording's orignal master tapes set up by Alan Yoshida and played back on a world-class Studer reel-to-reel tape deck. Or like looking at a JPEG from a good APS-C camera to a 16-bit TIFF file from a 100 megapixel Fuji GFX100 medium-format camera in Capture One Pro 20.

Really extraordinary.
Nice done!