AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 02-19-2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
In the States, Wilson speakers purchased from authorized dealers receive dealer or Wilson setup as part of the purchase. This can make a significant difference in sonic results. Using the measurements and specifications found in the manual is a great starting point but nothing beats the trained ear of some one who has done the setup previously and knows the capabilities of the speaker and its potential in your room.

Congratulations on the Alexx and thanks for all the pictures. It looks like you take great care with your system. Smart move with the D' Agostino electronics.
Thank You, Tima, for congratulations. The problem with WA dealer setup is that there is no WA dealer in my country. And after Progression mono and preamps will arrive, I will surely ask the dealer I have bought Alexx from to send me someone to make me proper setup. But I doubt it will be complimentary as it is in USA. At least I will have to pay for the flight tickets. But after spending money for the purchase of Alexx, cost of the tickets is nothing.
Digital:modified Mac mini as Roon server with Uptone JS-2 Linear Power Supply which is connected to Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB with Curious USB cable and then by Transparent Audio 110ohm Premium AES/EBU cable to Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference series 2;
BD/SACD/CD player OPPO 205 (which also works as home theatre processor),
Preamp:Dan D’Agostino Progression preamp,
Amplifiers: 2 Dan D’Agostino Progression monoblock power amps,
Speakers: Wilson Audio Alexx,
Power unit: Nordost QBase Qb8 Mark II, QKore 6 earth unit
Audio Cables: Transparent Audio G5 Reference SC and balanced IC, the rest are all G5 Ultra
Power Cables: OMVLabs, Nordost

Last edited by Andrew Zakon; 02-19-2018 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:52 AM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Zakon View Post
Yes, Bob, I like them in Silver and I think this color will fit the rest of my rack equipment more then in Black or Red. But Black is also looking good.
Cool Beans Andrew - it appears we have similar tastes -- Argento Silver & progression monos/preamp for starters.

Best Sir,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Valhalla TA cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia in Argento Silver/Black grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit.
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution Bar:Shunyata Everest 8000 w/Omega XC Power Cable.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:3M Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110 ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:58 AM

Congrats, excellent colour choice too! I've heard the Alexx a few times now and always left very very impressed.
Wilson Audio Alexia + Mezzo | Dan D'Agostino Momentum PRE & S250 | Esoteric P02x & D02x | Torus AVR2-16 | Marantz AV8805 | Panasonic UB9000 | Bryston 7B3 & 9BSST2 | ScreenTechnics 125" 2.37 Screen | JVC X7900 | Krix A20 (4) | JL Audio F113 (2)
Old 02-19-2018, 11:24 AM

Congrats! Awesome system.

Terry
Old 02-19-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
At the factory everything was packaged perfectly, high quality hi-jack and all needed tools for assembly was in the package. Body of the speakers was completely warped in the high quality protective film. Paint work is really impressive. Every detail has been done with great preciseness. The most of installation time was taking by removing of the protective film. Manual is very clearly describes the assembling procedures. We did all measurements according to listening place distance and used tables in manual to setup upper midrange, lower midrange and tweeter modules. The result was great. Enough words again photos. :-)

Removing the protective film, is a real pain. It takes a lot of muscle. I worked up a good sweat removing the film from my Yvettes and I can't imagine what a big job it was on the Alexx's.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:18 PM

Congratulations on getting the Alexx’s. Would love to hear your impressions.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:10 AM

Opening of front bass port and closing of the rear changed the bass reproduction dramatically. It is a night and day difference. Photo with opened front port:

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6162EB2D-7DFC-43A8-A6C2-CD82369E2360.jpeg (180.7 KB, 168 views)
Digital:modified Mac mini as Roon server with Uptone JS-2 Linear Power Supply which is connected to Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB with Curious USB cable and then by Transparent Audio 110ohm Premium AES/EBU cable to Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference series 2;
BD/SACD/CD player OPPO 205 (which also works as home theatre processor),
Preamp:Dan D’Agostino Progression preamp,
Amplifiers: 2 Dan D’Agostino Progression monoblock power amps,
Speakers: Wilson Audio Alexx,
Power unit: Nordost QBase Qb8 Mark II, QKore 6 earth unit
Audio Cables: Transparent Audio G5 Reference SC and balanced IC, the rest are all G5 Ultra
Power Cables: OMVLabs, Nordost

Last edited by Masterlu; 02-20-2018 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Enlarged photo
Old 02-20-2018, 03:41 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Opening of front bass port and closing of the rear changed the bass reproduction dramatically. It is a night and day difference. Photo with opened front port:
Progress - that's great! Also - looks like both speakers have ever so slightly less toe-in. Differences of a half-inch can be heard.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:41 AM
Lifetime audio addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Progress - that's great! Also - looks like both speakers have ever so slightly less toe-in. Differences of a half-inch can be heard.
That was true with me. My center image would occasionally sound off center and drift and it was driving me mad. My dealer came over again and went over the entire setup. After voicing the room again we readjusted the toe on the right speaker and adjusted the midrange module on the left which his assistant incorrectly placed in the initial setup. It has been perfect after that.
Speakers Wilson Audio Maxx 3
Cables Transparent Reference Gen 5
Equipment rack and amp stands HRS
Power conditioning Transparent
Power outlets GTX-D(G) Gold-Plated duplex receptacles dedicated 20 amp lines.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:29 PM

Andrew,

Marvelous setup. Awe-inspiring really. With D Agostino as the backbone, you'll surely drop some tears in the magic spot, with the right recording.

Beautifully done.
Nordost Odin 2 cabling
Clearaudio Master Innovation with Goldfinger cartridge
Esoteric E03 phono
Esoteric D02X
Esoteric P02X
Aurender W20
HRS SXR-Signature 4V X 2 rack
Incoming: Magico Q15 subs (2)