AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 08-21-2010, 05:35 AM

Default MM or MC cartridge with a McIntosh C46 pre?

MM or MC Cartridge with a C46 Pre

After digging into this area, a MM was suggested.
2 other dealers said MC

One Dealer who seemed to be more knowledgeable said MM, and recommended the
The Soundsmith cartridges, the SMMC-1 for $1000 and under.

Thoughts?

Last edited by KingRT; 08-21-2010 at 05:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-21-2010, 05:55 AM

The C46 ony has a MM phono stage so you either need a MM or a high output MC like some of the Sumiko, Denon cartridges.

or

Do what most of the Japanese manufacturers do and pair a normal low output MC with its own step up transformer. The transformers will be even more ideally suited to the cartridge than a generic mc phono stage.

or get an outboard mc phono stage like the nagra BPS or PS Audio GCPH, Sutherland etc which are very good and use whatever cartridge you want!

Don't be put off by the 'MM cartridges are rubbish' argument. There are many great MM cartridges like those from Clearaudio (Maestro), also some great Moving Iron cartridges e.g. Grado Master reference. These all have the prerequisite output you need (>2.5mV) so your C46 can cope.

I have never heard a soundsmith cartridge but they have a good reputation

It all depends on how serious you want to get with LPs. If you are dabbling and want to keep costs low, get a good MM and you will get fantastic sound.

howie

edit; i just noticed you have the Sumiko Blackbird so you have a nice high output mc already. Are you adding to your arsenal?

Last edited by howiebrou; 08-21-2010 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
The C46 ony has a MM phono stage so you either need a MM or a high output MC like some of the Sumiko, Denon cartridges.
or
Don't be put off by the 'MM cartridges are rubbish' argument. There are many great MM cartridges like those from Clearaudio (Maestro), also some great Moving Iron cartridges e.g. Grado Master reference. These all have the prerequisite output you need (>2.5mV) so your C46 can cope.
I have never heard a soundsmith cartridge but they have a good reputation
howie
edit; i just noticed you have the Sumiko Blackbird so you have a nice high output mc already. Are you adding to your arsenal?
Thanks. I believe you have given sound advice. Micheal Fremer
(all the experience) told me the same exact thing, that you posted. He recommended the soundsmith SMMC-1 or up that line, depending on my spending power.

My 30 year experienced dealer, wants to go with a MC cartridge, high output.
He dislikes MM cartridges " he quotes "Moving magnets will simply not take you to higher fidelity."

Decisions to make??

PS
I would guess, he does not sell SMMC-1

Last edited by KingRT; 08-22-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRT View Post
Thanks. I believe you have given sound advice. Micheal Fremer
(all the experience) told me the same exact thing, that you posted. He recommended the soundsmith SMMC-1 or up that line, depending on my spending power.

My 30 year experienced dealer, wants to go with a MC cartridge, high output.
He dislikes MM cartridges " he quotes "Moving magnets will simply not take you to higher fidelity."

Decisions to make??

PS
I would guess, he does not sell SMMC-1
I never take advice from a dealer about a product he does not sell! I think a few AAers use the Clearaudio Maestro and are very happy with it
Old 08-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Merry Christmas to all

KingRT.......The moving magnet and moving coil supporters are equally committed to their points of view as are the tube and solid state group, so it is not surprising that you are getting advice from both camps.

I have been spinning vinyl for well over 40 years, always using MM cartridges. In the past five years I have auditioned several MC cartridges, a few in excess of $1600, and have not been impressed enough to justify the additional cost versus perceived performance advantages. Also, a disadvantage I have never cared for with MC cartridges is the stylus is not user replaceable. When worn, or more often damaged, a MC cartridge must be returned to the manufacturer for repairs or re-tipping. This is usually very expensive, with no opportunity to shop around. There is no other recourse beyond changing to another cartridge. Another consideration is moving coil phono stages, their added cost, and generally higher noise floor at any given volume setting due to the required higher gain stage amplification necessary due to their extremely low output voltage levels.

There are many MM cartridges from a number of respected manufacturers that offer spectacular performance. I recently replaced my trusty Shure V15VxMR, and my hand built Signet TK9eA cartridges with the new Ortofon 2M Black. The 2M Black continues to amaze me every time I spin vinyl. It uses the same Shibata tip as Orotfon's high dollar Jubilee moving coil cartridge, and tracks perfectly at 1.7 grams. I can highly recommend the Ortofon 2M Black to you as an excellent moving magnet phono cartridge. Jeff at A/V Solutions can offer you a very attractive price should you be interested. There are a number of Ortofon 2M Black users here at AA, so perhaps they will chime in.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 08-22-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:32 PM

The Dynavector 20XH has now move closer to the top of the list...
MC