AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 12-21-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlacoste View Post
It is to easy dismiss the engineering feast these Magico speakers are. People “prefer” inferior products for all sorts of reason, none has to do with sound quality. If these were cars, it would be a different story. No one will buy a car that can only go straight, or breakdown once you reach 20 mph.
This is where you have it all wrong. It is all about the sound quality and that SQ is defined by each individual and what they want to hear in their room.

This isn't about cars. It is about the recording arts and art is very personal and subjective.

If it was my choice I would't take either one of them over the MBL 111F's I owned previous to my current speakers. Neither one comes close in reproducing the mid's or highs but both handle the lower registers much better. I do understand where others would not agree and they should purchase what they like.

Last edited by Still-One; 12-21-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
This is where you have it all wrong. It is all about the sound quality and that SQ is defined by each individual and what they want to hear in their room.

This isn't about cars. It is about the recording arts and art is very personal and subjective.

If it was my choice I would't take either one of them over the MBL 111F's I owned previous to my current speakers. Neither one comes close in reproducing the mid's or highs but both handle the lower registers much better. I do understand where others would not agree and they should purchase what they like.
No, I am afraid you got it all wrong, it has nothing to do with art.
You spend a lot of money on this hobby, you should do some due diligence and research on the matter.
Read Floyd Toole work; in a control environment the majority of people agreed on what sounded better, which had a direct correlation to what measured better which had a direct correlation to what was better engineered.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlacoste View Post
... I suggest that his posts will simply be ignored. ...
Good advice. I have been doing this for a while now.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:22 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi Guys,

Please stop the personal attacks. It is definitely not in the spirit of the holidays. Comment on the speakers but not each other. And when commenting, please consider that there are others who own and love these speakers, just as you do with your own. Dan has already stated that he will delete this thread if it continues. It would be ashame because there's a lot of great information on this thread and I've really enjoyed participating.

The Alexia and S5 are both world class loudspeakers. I have read rave reviews on both recently. Two of the best speakers on the market. If they weren't both so great, there wouldn't be so many owners of both on AA. People on this forum know sound and gear, neither group is wrong and both should be able appreciate each other's happiness and peacefully co-exist around here. There is no better one, only what you prefer.

Measurements are important and I believe there is a correlation between them and sound quality, but they are not the be all end all. In the end, my purchase is determined by how a speaker sounds with my music, my components, in my room and to my ears. I'm sure most of you aren't much different.

Happy Holidays,
Ken
Ken.......I agree with you, unfortunately due to a particular individual the tone of this thread has required additional clean up, this time at the checkout counter. Like you said, there is a lot of good information here so hopefully we can carry on the conversation in a civil manner going forward.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 12-22-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:39 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1chen View Post
Anyone here heard these 2 speakers and end up with a Magico Q3? If so, what is the reason you like about the Q3 over the Alexia. I am a current owner of Alexia and I do like the construction of the Q3, and some character of the Q3. But if change from Alexia to the Q3 is like downgrading and I can't go Q5 as it is really a very hungry speaker to start with.
Ok gentlemen. Here is S1chen's original post that started the thread. I think we can carry on this interesting topic now. Please, let's keep it friendly.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 12-22-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:27 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1chen View Post
I hope everyone reading and commenting don't get overly excited and start stirring and digging out technical issue on a product. I start this thread intention is to get opinion from people whom are using either the alexia or Q3. This is not what I looking for to condemn each other's product.

You maybe like to point out some fact of a particular speaker but to be fair, have you hear the speaker or own it before? If u have not hear the speaker before, I sincerely hope one don't throw their magazine or web research and jump to conclusion. My experience over the year tell me that sound music is complex signaling and bench measurement doesn't conclude anything, in fact many a time it doesn't serve anything healthy.
Thanks Dan, I also think this post reflects the OP's desire to create a constructive, facts-based debate on the merits of the two speakers. Let's move forward in that spirit

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 12-22-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Thanks Dan, I also think this post reflects the OP's desire to create a constructive, facts-based debate on the merits of the two speakers. Let's move forward in that spirit
David.......I fully understand the passion that comes from wanting to support and promote our own specific choices, be it audio components or anything else in life. A strong feeling of enthusiasm or excitement for something is a good thing, providing that enthusiasm doesn't cause us to act in a selfish, self-centered way that ignores or attempts to damage other's enthusiasm for their choices. The tipping point comes when enthusiastic discussion detours toward personal vendettas. As a group I believe we are intelligent enough to peacefully communicate and respond on any topic with a measure of consideration and kindness for our fellow members rather than allowing an aggressive attitude to spoil the fun.

Last edited by jdandy; 12-22-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Merry Christmas to all

S1chen.......So, have you made a decision yet? Will it be the Wilson Audio Alexia or the Magico Q3 in your sound system?

. . . . . .

Wilson Audio Alexia ($48,500 / Pair) .................................................. ... Magico Q3 ($38,950 / Pair)

Last edited by jdandy; 12-22-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
S1chen.......So, have you made a decision yet? Will it be the Wilson Audio Alexia or the Magico Q3 in your sound system?

. . . . . .

Wilson Audio Alexia ($48,500 / Pair) .................................................. ... Magico Q3 ($38,950 / Pair)
Man, two beautiful sets of loudspeakers. Thanks for posting, Dan!

S1Chen - Did you also get a chance to audition the Aesthetix Atlas monoblocks? If so, how did you like them?

Cheers,
Ken
Old 12-22-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Man, two beautiful sets of loudspeakers. Thanks for posting, Dan!

S1Chen - Did you also get a chance to audition the Aesthetix Atlas monoblocks? If so, how did you like them?

Cheers,
Ken
It is sad that I don't have the chance to heard the 2 recommended amps from the AA members yet. The Aesthetix Atlas is out on loan to another customers and no dates on the availability from the dealer. The Hegel H30 is worst, the local dealer don't even carry the demo amps and I have to buy with "premium" price without auditioning, not even in the showroom.