AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Integrated

Integrated All in one, Still in Style

Old 11-30-2014, 06:51 PM

Really impressed with this amplifier so far. It has only 30 hours on it at this point, but it honestly seems to have a very nice synergy with the Guarneri EVOs. My wife sat down and listened to one song - Janos Starker Bach Cello piece and immediately stated the Cello sounds much more real without any bloat, but still full and rich. This is one of her favorite pieces of music and she knows it well. I agree with her assessment. This amp is a steal at the current close out pricing available. Had I heard it before, I would have happily spent $2500 on it before the close out pricing began. Seems that others opinion that Guarneri Evolutions need current was spot on. I tried a NAD M3, but that just sounded boring. Had power, but dynamics and air was blunted and it sounded overly smooth and flat. The Krell is a nice fit so far. My tastes typically run to tubes and I was leery that solid state would be too crisp and sterile. I was wrong. The mid ranges are rich and very touchable. Not glassy or flat at all. Again, not that much time on the clock, but will report my opinion again in a few days once we have it really run in.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2934084878.jpg (59.6 KB, 168 views)

Last edited by jdandy; 12-09-2014 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Enlarge photo.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:08 PM

Bavarian - Been following your recent posts because I am considering upgrading my integrated. I have modest system consisting of Sf Venere 3.0 floorstanders with Marantz 8005 CD and integrated. As you can see my taste runs to slightly warmer that neutral but not full on maple syrup sweet. Picked Sf over B&W and Marantz over Rotel for that very reason. So...my budget is around $2K for new integrated and top two contenders are Primaluna Prologue and Krell S300. I know your Primaluna is larger more powerful version but I am told the Prologue shares their new "house" sound. Was thinking that my more efficient and higher impedence speakers might be a similar "fit" for the Prologue as your SFs are for the Dialogue. I never had tubes before and have always been curious. Primaluna looks to be about as user friendly as they come. But...Krell was one of my fantasy brands ever since I was a kid, and the current pricing on the S300 seems amazing. No Krell or PL dealer anywhere near me for audition. Both are returnable if they don't work out. Do you have any thoughts on the PL/SF combo in general or the overall quality of the PL, suggestions, advice, etc. Is the Krell really that mellow for a SS amp? Lastly, how much heat does the PL put out? Mine would need to be in a console with open front and rear but a "ceiling" about 6 inches from the top of the tubes. Do they get plasma TV warm or space-heater hot? Sorry for all the questions but you appear to be familiar with both of my top contenders. Thanks for any opinions you might have.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venere View Post
Bavarian - Been following your recent posts because I am considering upgrading my integrated. I have modest system consisting of Sf Venere 3.0 floorstanders with Marantz 8005 CD and integrated. As you can see my taste runs to slightly warmer that neutral but not full on maple syrup sweet. Picked Sf over B&W and Marantz over Rotel for that very reason. So...my budget is around $2K for new integrated and top two contenders are Primaluna Prologue and Krell S300. I know your Primaluna is larger more powerful version but I am told the Prologue shares their new "house" sound. Was thinking that my more efficient and higher impedence speakers might be a similar "fit" for the Prologue as your SFs are for the Dialogue. I never had tubes before and have always been curious. Primaluna looks to be about as user friendly as they come. But...Krell was one of my fantasy brands ever since I was a kid, and the current pricing on the S300 seems amazing. No Krell or PL dealer anywhere near me for audition. Both are returnable if they don't work out. Do you have any thoughts on the PL/SF combo in general or the overall quality of the PL, suggestions, advice, etc. Is the Krell really that mellow for a SS amp? Lastly, how much heat does the PL put out? Mine would need to be in a console with open front and rear but a "ceiling" about 6 inches from the top of the tubes. Do they get plasma TV warm or space-heater hot? Sorry for all the questions but you appear to be familiar with both of my top contenders. Thanks for any opinions you might have.
Hi Venere,
Sorry for the delayed response here... My honest thoughts would be go with the Krell. I have had the Venere 2.5s previously (not exactly the same, but very close in terms of load and sensitivity, etc.) The Venere range presents an odd load. They are rated at 6 ohm nominal, but they drop to around 3.1 ohms if memory serves. At the time I tried the Venere 2.5 I was using an Audio Research Ref 110 with KT-120s for around 130 watts. Neither the 4 or 8 ohm tap sounded right to me. So from a control point of view, I think the Krell will be a very good fit. The other issue is that the Venere range in general is pretty voluptuous and not lean at all. I think if you pair the 3.0 with the Primaluna you will get a somewhat syrupy mess. Especially given that you are used to solid state, it would be a step too far in my opinion and experience. Using it in a cabinet also cinches my advice to go with the Krell. I am likely going to sell my Primaluna HP as I am really happy with this amp. Given the price, it is a screaming deal right now. If you are going to give one a shot, PM me and I can likely give you a tip on where to buy and what to pay. Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Bavarian05; 12-07-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian05 View Post
Hi Venere, Sorry for the delayed response here... My honest thoughts would be go with the Krell. I have had the Venere 2.5s previously (not exactly the same, but very close in terms of load and sensitivity, etc.) The Venere range presents an odd load. They are rated at 6 ohm nominal, but they drop to around 3.1 ohms if memory serves. At the time I tried the Venere 2.5 I was using an Audio Research Ref 110 with KT-120s for around 130 watts. Neither the 4 or 8 ohm tap sounded right to me. So from a control point of view, I think the Krell will be a very good fit. The other issue is that the Venere range in general is pretty voluptuous and not lean at all. I think if you pair the 3.0 with the Primaluna you will get a somewhat syrupy mess. Especially given that you are used to solid state, it would be a step too far in my opinion and experience. Using it in a cabinet also cinches my advice to go with the Krell. I am likely going to sell my Primaluna HP as I am really happy with this amp. Given the price, it is a screaming deal right now. If you are going to give one a shot, PM me and I can likely give you a tip on where to buy and what to pay. Just my two cents. Hope this helps.
Great advive thanks will pm you
Old 12-07-2014, 09:54 PM

For some reason i cant pm you so i will just say thank you for the great advice. The fact you had Sf 2.5s makes your experience even more relevant. If anybody else wants to chime in on the 300si your input would be appreciated. I am used to Marantz SS integrated and basically want a similarly warm sound but with more smoothness, detail, and control.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venere View Post
For some reason i cant pm you so i will just say thank you for the great advice. The fact you had Sf 2.5s makes your experience even more relevant. If anybody else wants to chime in on the 300si your input would be appreciated. I am used to Marantz SS integrated and basically want a similarly warm sound but with more smoothness, detail, and control.
I tried sending you a message too...?
Old 12-07-2014, 10:14 PM
From the BAT cave ...

You have to be a "Subscriber" to be able to use PM. Looks like Venere is not?
Old 12-07-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
You have to be a "Subscriber" to be able to use PM. Looks like Venere is not?
Ahh. Venere, become a subscriber...the best $25 you'll ever spend. ;-)
Old 12-07-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian05 View Post
Ahh. Venere, become a subscriber...the best $25 you'll ever spend. ;-)
will do. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:25 PM

Bavarian - curious to hear more observations as you spend more time with the Krell. Main concern is absence of grain and brightness. Neutral to slightly warm fits my needs. I am told that the 300 excels at detail retrieval without being harsh. Would like to see if you share that opinion. Lastly, how hot does it run at moderate levels? As i mentioned it would be in a somewhat vented cabinet.