Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 04-10-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarin View Post
Ultra

Wow.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 04-11-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarin View Post

(comment re: Jim Lesurf's article)...
It provides a clear explanation of the type of artifacts that are created when the so called MQA "folding" and "unfolding" is applied to the original file.

As mentioned in the article, it is a subjective cure that may or may not be preferred by a given listener.

For my part, I was able to experiment with a high end MQA DAC for an extended period of time.......
cmarin - if there is any system out there should should be able to discern the MQA difference, yours should be it. Impressive to say the least.

Trying to understand MQA by reading their patents is risky endeavor (Jim Luserf's excellent article, and similar). Meridian should allow expert dissemination of their approach. Either they are onto something or not. Their patent has issued (see below) so they have protection.

US Patent 9,548,055 "Doubly compatible lossless audio bandwidth extension"
issued January 2017 to Peter Craven of Meridian.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 04-14-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Here is an interesting article by Dr. Jim Lesurfs: MQA or “There and back again”

http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/MQA/origa...reAndBack.html
Thanks again for this link, Dan. Interesting reading.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:10 AM

Default MQA Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
cmarin - if there is any system out there should should be able to discern the MQA difference, yours should be it. Impressive to say the least.

I will point out one thing with Jim Lesurf's article - it is well written, lucid and correct - for the MQA processed bits. The full data set consists of original content concatenated with MQA bits*. For example, in a 24 bit signal, 16 bits are the original CD (Redbook)** and 8 are MQA. Thus you can recover the original CD in a non-MQA DAC, etc.

However, trying to understand MQA by reading their patents is risky endeavor. Meridian should allow expert dissemination of their approach. Either they are onto something or not. Their patent has issued (see below) so they have protection.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

* see claim 1 (if interested)
US Patent 9,548,055"Doubly compatible lossless audio bandwidth extension"
issued January 2017 to Peter Craven of Meridian.

Abstract:
"An encoder for digital audio signals at a higher sample rate creates a stream for consumer distribution at a lower sampling rate, with compatibility for standard PCM players without a decoder. In conjunction with a suitable decoder, two enhanced playback options are supported, the first option allowing full lossless reconstruction of a noise-shaped higher sampling rate signal, the second option allowing lossy bandwidth extension even if an intervening transmission chain has truncated the least-significant-bits of the encoder's output signal."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**potentialy with some filtering (noise-shaping) applied, i.e. a new mastering applied to the original content, but still Redbook.

Hi clpetersen,

Thank you for the kind words. And please let me share a few personal comments.

First, in my experience I have found that results are very system dependent.

Second, in terms of whether DSD is yesterday's news I have to mention my recent extended experience with several DACs: Aqua Formula, NAGRA HD, Playback Designs MPS 5, and the Pacific Microsonics Model 2. The former two were on long term loan and the latter two are my long term references.

All listening comparisons were done with the Sound Galleries Monaco 2015 server and the new 3.16.0 version of HQPlayer which upsampled the native file resolution to the maximum that each DAC could handle.

Without getting into DAC to DAC comparisons, what I can say is that the performance of each DAC was an order of magnitude better with the new 3.16.0 version (and the highly computationally intensive xtr filter) than the previous baselines.

These were jaw-dropping differences in each case. Yet it required only a software change in the SGM/HQPlayer - a zero marginal cost that was on the order of a major component change.

And the DSD DACs? Well the two DSD DACs, Playback Designs and NAGRA HD, made me pause and rethink my previous PCM centric perspective. Perhaps a DSD DAC coupled with the powerful and transparent SGM server, and the advanced signal processing HQPlayer filters, could be the future.

DSD DACs yesterday's news? Nah. At least not in my music room.

Last edited by cmarin; 04-12-2017 at 02:33 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:00 AM

Hello CMarin -
thank you for the update. I agree, in the digital realm, advanced signal processing can have significant benefits. In fact, I listened to a Lynn Klimax system with your model speakers (Magico Q7 II) demonstrating their room correction software. It was impressive.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 04-12-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:39 AM

FROM AURALIC:

“This pretty much means we at AURALiC are saying no to MQA. We are no longer interested in their technology. We want to keep everything open but they want to keep it closed. We are not in the same boat. I don’t believe the very High End will benefit from MQA as it only degrades sound quality, not improve it.”

“We do not use any MQA technology, this is not MQA certificated or MQA licensed. We are up-sampling the file using our algorithm, applying our own in-house developed filter, to optimize sound quality, not just for a particular DAC but all devices.”

“There is a MQA pass through function which allows you to output an untouched signal to an MQA-certificated DAC. I suggest you compare our decoding and MQA decoding but only after the final firmware release. The current version is only a test version as we are still optimizing its sound quality, especially the resampling plug-in.”
Old 04-14-2017, 11:28 AM

James,
You posted sometime ago that Bryston was going to reach out to the MQA folks. Anything you can share as to whether Bryston will come out with MQA-enabled products? Thanks.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:57 AM

I have finally lost all interest in MQA and will not be seeking any MQA enabled components, or seeking to buy their so-called authenticated music, just like I did with SACD in 2002.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
James,
You posted sometime ago that Bryston was going to reach out to the MQA folks. Anything you can share as to whether Bryston will come out with MQA-enabled products? Thanks.
We have discussed with them and their requirements but at this point we are not going to go down that path.

james
Old 04-27-2017, 05:58 PM

For those into multichannel, Kal Rubinson discovers MQA's capabilities ...

http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round