AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Hi Ken,

Based on those options, your front end and musical preferences i'd recommend auditioning the Hegel amps. They are well engineered, have a lot of power, sound natural, are on the warm side & punch well above their weight. Though not on your list, other options to consider with the S5's in my order of preference would be the Vitus SIA-025, RS-100/RL-101 combo and RI-100 integrated.

I suspect however given your musical preferences you may prefer the Q3. Good options (again in my order of preference) would be the Vitus SIA-025, Dartzeel NHB-108/NHB-18NS or Vitus Reference series. Soulution also has good synergy with Magico. Pressed to choose an option I would personally lean toward Vitus with the Q3's. The Reference series is very good, though the SIA-025 is the sweet spot in their lineup imho. Fyi I recently posted a review of the SIA-025 in the Pre-amps and Amplifiers forum. Hope that helps
Hi David,

Thanks for the information! I probably should have explained that the list of amps are the ones the Magico dealer carries. I would certainly try the Vitus if they carried it. You know how I feel about Class A. I'll definitely try the Hegel amps when I audition them. Based on what I've read and my musical preferences, I may prefer the sound of the Q3 but I'm trying to keep an open mind, considering all of the superlatives of the S5. At any rate, it should be a fun day when I audition them.

Happy Holidays!
Ken
Old 12-24-2013, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLK View Post
The Aesthetix Atlas Signature or Monos are a great match for the Magicos.

If you don't need an analog input, a Romulus or Pandora with VC driving amps
would work great. Signature Versions Romulus/Pandora will be shown at CES.
Hi PLK,

I have heard the Aesthetix Atlas monoblocks driving the Vandersteen 7 and the sound was terrific. Imaging and soundstage were second to none. Unfortunately, the Magico dealer doesn't carry Aesthetix. But the Atlas monos are one my favorite Class A/B amplifiers.

Best,
Ken
Old 12-24-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi David,

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I'm thinking of auditioning the S5 and Q3. As you know, I'm primarily a jazz guy, preferring jazz vocals, jazz piano and small jazz combos. However, I do enjoy cranking up the Eagles or Santana every now and then.

Out of the following preamp/amp combinations, which would recommend most for my audition with the S5 and Q3?

Arcam
ADA
Cary
Classe
HD Micromega
Heed
Integra
Hegel
Lexicon
Marantz
McIntosh
Rotel
Spectral

Thanks,
Ken
If I may offer an opinion, as a Q3 owner, I'd say you should avoid listening to the Q3 with most of these brands. From all accounts, the only amps you should use are the Hegel, which has been getting great reviews, and have partnered well with the Magicos.

There are positive reviews of the Spectral amps, and they might just be your taste, but there have been also reports of people finding the sound too sterile.

The thing about a Magico, the Q series specially, is that they're not a coloured speaker like most of the others, so they're not adding anything, or making sure whatever comes in sounds "nice". So, a lot of amps are exposed in their inadequacy.

I understand these are the brands your dealer carries, but you should definitely attempt a listen with Vitus, or a darTZeel integrated.

alexandre
Old 12-24-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi PLK,

I have heard the Aesthetix Atlas monoblocks driving the Vandersteen 7 and the sound was terrific. Imaging and soundstage were second to none. Unfortunately, the Magico dealer doesn't carry Aesthetix. But the Atlas monos are one my favorite Class A/B amplifiers.

Best,
Ken
Hi Ken, why don't you start with your Pass lab XA100.5 which is a great amp. Add a preamp with great solution and speed and maybe you will like it too.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:57 AM

I would give Cary SA-200.2 a try with Magicos.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:07 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I am somewhat limited by the Magico dealer's selection of amps. Unfortunately no Vitus, Dartzeel or Soulution. Based on what's available, I'll probably try the more powerful Hegel amps. Since this will be an exploratory audition more than a purchasing one, I'll probably leave my XA-100.5 amps at home and save my back.

Happy Holidays,
Ken
Old 12-24-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiufy View Post

If I may offer an opinion, as a Q3 owner, I'd say you should avoid listening to the Q3 with most of these brands. From all accounts, the only amps you should use are the Hegel, which has been getting great reviews, and have partnered well with the Magicos.

There are positive reviews of the Spectral amps, and they might just be your taste, but there have been also reports of people finding the sound too sterile.

The thing about a Magico, the Q series specially, is that they're not a coloured speaker like most of the others, so they're not adding anything, or making sure whatever comes in sounds "nice". So, a lot of amps are exposed in their inadequacy.

I understand these are the brands your dealer carries, but you should definitely attempt a listen with Vitus, or a darTZeel integrated.

alexandre
Excellent post - agree
Old 12-24-2013, 05:14 PM

One local dealer carries Electrocpamiet, Aesthetix, and Constellation along with tubes VTL. In my opinion the Constellation sounds much better than any of the other choices and so it seems does the owner who prefers to show the Magico's with Constellation to get the best out of Q3's or S5's.

If I was in the market for a Magico it would only be with Costellation from what I have heard. ( not heard them with Momentum's ). My preference is for q3's for musicality over the S5's rhythm and pace.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
One local dealer carries Electrocpamiet, Aesthetix, and Constellation along with tubes VTL. In my opinion the Constellation sounds much better than any of the other choices and so it seems does the owner who prefers to show the Magico's with Constellation to get the best out of Q3's or S5's.

If I was in the market for a Magico it would only be with Costellation from what I have heard. ( not heard them with Momentum's ). My preference is for q3's for musicality over the S5's rhythm and pace.
Did you listen to the Q3 or S5 with the Aesthetix Monos or Signature amp?

I've never seen any review of the Aesthetix Monos or Signature, but here's some interesting pictures from the Stereophile Atlas Stereo review and the Costellation Centaur:

Fig.2 Constellation Performance Centaur($54K), small-signal 10kHz squarewave into 8 ohms.

Fig.2 Aesthetix Atlas($8K), small-signal 10kHz squarewave into 8 ohms.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLK View Post
Did you listen to the Q3 or S5 with the Aesthetix Monos or Signature amp? I've never seen any review of the Aesthetix Monos or Signature, but here's some interesting pictures from the Stereophile Atlas Stereo review and the Costellation Centaur: Fig.2 Constellation Performance Centaur($54K), small-signal 10kHz squarewave into 8 ohms. Fig.2 Aesthetix Atlas($8K), small-signal 10kHz squarewave into 8 ohms.
It was the Atlas mono blocks.
Closed Thread