AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 09-06-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piolaxo View Post
So when there is no cable, the C2300 doesn't get into pass thru mode? The C2300
treats the input as a regular one? Just curious. The manual from the C2300 does
specify how it has to be connected to the AVR.
Yes.

But what is annoying is that when you switch off the av amp, i.e. remove the power trigger, the preamp also switches off meaning if you go from movie to 2 channel you need to switch your preamp back on again.

If your av amp has no power trigger socket on the back you can also just use a mni transformer with a >5v<12v output.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
Yes.

But what is annoying is that when you switch off the av amp, i.e. remove the power trigger, the preamp also switches off meaning if you go from movie to 2 channel you need to switch your preamp back on again.

If your av amp has no power trigger socket on the back you can also just use a mni transformer with a >5v<12v output.
Howie.......Really great information. I had not thought of this option.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-06-2010, 11:57 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
Yes.

Even better is to use a Niles LS-1 which will keep the pre-amp up with it's trigger voltage provided by only a front panel light from a component that stays lit.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 09-10-2010, 08:16 PM

Default Sometimes ignorance is bliss, but...

I have read and reread the info below from the C2200 owner's manual and guess I need to cease taking ineptitude pills...

IF I have a pre-pro (MX150 or Denon AVP) connected via HDMI from my BD-player and connect my BD-player's stereo outputs to a preamp, and from my pre-pro go the 7 channel interconnects to the amp. WHERE and how is a dedicated preamp with HT pass-through connected since it does not even have HDMI inputs and outputs and the pre-pro feeds the amps?

I would assume that the stereo analog outputs of my BD-player would feed the analog pre-amp, but then how would the preamp feed the amps if the 7 channels for HT are connected from pre-pro to amplifers? Is the preamp then connected via IC's to the pre-pro? But IF that is the case, then why would be it called a HT passthrough in a pre-amp.

I was thinking of a Denon AVP and a C2300 for eg.

Obviously I need help in my thinking (or lack of...)

Thanks,

MikeSp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Mike.......This is from the C2200 Owner's Manual.

The PASS THRU Mode on the C2200 allows it to be part
of a Multichannel System for the Left and Right Front
Channels, when it is connected to a McIntosh Multichannel
Processor such as the MX134.
Any of the C2200’s High Level Inputs may be used for
the PASS THRU Function. The C2200 default setting for
the PASS THRU feature needs to be changed in Setup.
Connect the basic system as outlined in the two previous
pages and then add the two following connections. The example
below uses the AUX Input for the PASS THRU
Mode.

1. Connect a Power Control Cable from the McIntosh A/V
Controller Power Control Zone A to the C2200 PASS
THRU Jack.
2. Connect an Audio Cable from the McIntosh A/V Controller
Zone A Front Left and Right Audio Outputs to
the C2200 AUX 1 INPUTS.

The C2200 can be part of a Multichannel Sound System.
The Right and Left Front Channels from a McIntosh Processor
or Decoder can “Pass Thru” the C2200 and on to its
associated Power Amplifier(s). The Setup Mode allows the
Selection of the Input that will be used for the Right and
Left Front Channels Pass Thru Mode. In the example below,
the Right and Left Front Channels from the Multichannel
Processor/Decoder will be connected to the AUX Input
on the C2200.
1. Press the SETUP Push-button to access the Setup
Mode.
2. Rotate the BALANCE Control Knob until the words
PASSTHRU OFF appears.
3. Rotate the INPUT Control until the Front Panel Alphanumeric
Display indicates PASSTHRU AUX.
4. Press the SETUP Push-button to exit the Setup Mode.

Pass Thru Mode
When the C2200 is connected together with a McIntosh
Multichannel A/V Control Center or Surround Decoder and
has the PASS THRU MODE activated, it will automatically
Turn-On whenever the A/V Control Center or Surround Decoder
is switched On. It will indicate on the Front Panel Alphanumeric
Display “PASSTHRU”.

In the PASS THRU Mode, the OUTPUTS 1&2 Pushbuttons
remain active. The remaining C2200 Front Panel
Controls and Push-buttons are deactivated as long as the
C2200 is in the PASS THRU MODE.
MX150, MC501's (3), MC352's (2), Aerial Acoustics Model 9's for mains, Aerial Acoustics CC5 for center, and Def Tech surrounds, JL Audio F113's (2) with Sound Anchor Stands, 60 inch Pioneer Kuro, Tivos, Monster HTPS 7000MKII, Oppo BDP-83SE, PS3; dedicated HT still under construction [system used primarily for movies].
Old 09-10-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I would assume that the stereo analog outputs of my BD-
player would feed the analog pre-amp, but then how would the
preamp feed the amps if the 7 channels for HT are connected from
pre-pro to amplifers? Is the preamp then connected via IC's to the
pre-pro? But IF that is the case, then why would be it called a HT
passthrough in a pre-amp.
I had been thinking about this if I were to buy a C2200 or C2300.
My take is the following:

All of the BD-player analog outputs go to the AVR's inputs for say,
the DVD inputs, so that they can be selected from either TV,
cable, PlayStation, standard DVD or another video input.

Now, the (analog balanced) stereo outputs from the AVR will go to
a set of inputs in the C2200 and you would have to identify them
as the pass-thru option (you can choose any of the inputs). All of
the other pre-outs from the AVR (surrounds, front channel,
back center channel, subwoofer, etc) would have to go straight
to the amplifiers.

Then, by selecting the input of the C2200, with the use of the
cable from what I understand, the balanced inputs will be used
in pass-thru (no processing) and straight to the outputs. Then
these main outputs would go to your main two-channel amp.
In this way there would be no delays in the two channels with
respect to the HT signals.

This is what I take from the manuals, but people that actually
have it setup up would be more than welcome to correct me if
I'm wrong.

Sal
Old 09-10-2010, 09:22 PM

May be there is a misconception as to the purpose of the passthru mode. It is intended to allow you to use the same high quality 2 channel amps for your ht and 2 channel listening without having to keep disconnecting either the av amp or 2200.

You connect the blu ray player to the av amp either by hdmi or multiple analogue outputs.

You can also connect the blu ray player stereo output to the 2200 or connect another better mcd500 to the 2200.

You connect the av amp stereo preamp out 2 channel connectors to the 2200.

You connect the power trigger from the av amp to the 2200

You connect the 2200 to your main two channel amps and nice speakers

You connect your av amp to the remaining speakers.

Now, when you want to listen to the 2200 and 2 channel you just turn on your 2200, nice amps, mcd500 or blu ray and presto you have 2 channel.

When you want to listen to HT, you turn on the av amp which will trigger the 2200 into passthru mode which means the preamp out of the av amp will control the volume of the nice 2 channel amps. The 2200 will become functionless, in effect, acting as a wire. All volume control will come from the av amp.

Without this function, if you wanted to use your nice amps and speakers, yet had them connected to your 2200, you would have to disconnect the 2200 and reconnect the amps to your av amp each time you wanted to watch a movie.

It really is a useful feature!

howie
Old 09-19-2010, 04:58 PM

Question another pass-thru question

Howie just made my day with that explanation. That is the absolute clearest, step-by-step, tutorial on the topic! I think mcintosh should include it the next time they offer description of pass-thru mode in an instruction manual.

I currently use a mcintosh MSD4 for decoding dolby digital for my cable box, laserdisc (yes, laserdisc, really) decoding, and itunes airport express digital output. I have the MSD4 set to only output a L/R signal to my C2200 pre-amp. It works like a charm, sounds great, and I don't think I have "pass-thru" enabled. I use the c2200 to control the volume. The output of the MSD4 is set at "90" to give an appropriate signal level to the C2200.

I am thinking about upgrading to the new marantz AV7005 home theater pre to get an upgrade in the digital processing for my cable, laserdisc, and ipod, as a junction for my older video sources to covert to hdmi so i only have one hdmi cable going to my tv, and as my tuner/HDRadio. The AV7005 has balanced outputs so I could send the front L/R (I only use front L/R) to the C2200.

The question is this:
Is there a harm of overloading the C2200 by using it to control the volume and not putting it in pass-thru mode? I would consider doing this if the sound of the mcintosh c2200 adjusting volume was better than the marantz doing the same function. I'm going on the theory that i have a nice tube pre (c2200), I want to use its' capability as a superior pre-amp. I only want to use the marantz for its' processing capabilities.

I'm under the impression that in pass-thru, the tube stage of the mcintosh is bypassed, and i want to utilize it.

Any thoughts???

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables