AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 04-10-2012, 08:36 PM

Default Replacing an Ancient Meridian

My 565 was probably one of the first and upgraded it to a point. It has performed remarkably given how old it is and was still serving in my 'den' video system- the main video system (which has nothing to do with my hi-fi) now runs an older McIntosh pre-processor which is terrific, and easier to set up than the Meridian.
Anyway, I've been looking to replace the Meridian in the den with something that does the newer audio codecs, not necessarily interested in using it as a video switcher (although from what i remember to get the less compressed audio i do have to run through HDMI or use the codec on the dvd player, ugh). The market seems to consist largely of receiver style processors like the Onkyo/Integra/up a notch maybe Anthem/then the more high-end stuff, including Meridian. I'm not really trying to do state of the art, but I can't reconcile myself to a consumer electronics POS. From what I gather, Meridian, even today, does not formally acknowledge that it processes DD+ (which Vudu uses), so buying a used Meridian of more recent vintage is not the answer.
I'm a little frustrated with this market- no stripped down, high quality audio processors without all the bells and whistles ( I don't even care about room correction, i can do a pretty good job with a test tone, a db meter and my ears), until you spend big bread. And, for the most part, these things are still not really at the level of the audio gear we use, despite the high price.
I've read that the Marantz AV7005 is a budget favorite, and I guess I could reconcile myself to something like that, but apart from specific thoughts on processors (I'm not using it to listen to music), do others see the market in the same way? (Cheesy consumer crap, then so-called 'high end' stuff).
Maybe another used McIntosh is the way to go....
Old 04-15-2012, 12:52 PM

I too have a Meridian 565 as well as Dsp5000 speaker all of which is sitting in my basement unused. I've listened to the Marantz AV7005 and it is a good sounding piece and not just good sounding for the price. If you want something that might be better sounding but less bells and whistles, maybe the Cary Cinema 12. I've heard the McIntosh MX150 and on movies it not 8X better that the Marantz. I will buy a $10,000 preamp because it won't be obsolete in 18 months because of some new format. There is no way I will spend that kind of money on a surround sound processor.At on point I thought about buying the Mcintosh MX121 but since I wouldn't use it for music it would be a waste of money.I just put an Onkyo NR414 in my bedroom system with Martin Logan motion series speakers and this sounds good. Mainstream japanese audio equipment sounds a lot better than it use to, the hard bright sound that most cheap equipment had is gone, and this has a lot of the features that high end companies will take years to add if ever.

In my main system I am using an Onyko TR806 receiver as a prepro connected to a Mccorrmak MAP1 6 channel preamp and that feed a Conrad-Johnson Preimer 11 Amp for front left and right speakers, a CJ MV52 bridged in mono for the center and GAS Son of Ampzilla for the rears I have Martin Logan Elctormotion ESL for front and rears and the electromotion center. All cables are Audioquest. On movies the Onkyo sounds great it's not hard or bright in the least bit. The surround effect are enveloping with rock solid imaging. I am replacing the next couple of weeks with the AV7005 and I am replacing the Mccormack with a new CJ preamp either the ET5 or CT5.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:30 PM

rtho- thank you for the response. you and i seem to be of the same mindset re theatre processors. i may just wind up giving the Marantz a go. And despite the fact that the set up of the Meridian was a PITA, sorta like old style computer menus through the little window, I gotta say, I'm impressed that thing the runs and still sounds good, after all these years.
Best,
Bill Hart
Old 04-15-2012, 02:09 PM

The 565 was great in its day but it's old! I have a friend who has a Theta Casablanca I and it's cheaper for him to buy a new one than upgrade it to the lastest model which still out of date compare to the rest of the industry. These high end companies just don't have the resources to keep up with the big boys. I don't want to get burned that way again. See if you could borrow the AV7005 and give it a listen.

Good Luck

Rob