AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 10-23-2017, 08:01 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalcove View Post
I have an Xtension 10 in a room with a suspended floor and find it is quite immune to footfall issues compared to the Technics Direct Drive table it replaced.
I keep mine on a cabinet rather than a wall mount. My understanding of wall mounts is that they work best on a load bearing wall but I have no practical experience with one. Best of luck!
This is encouraging. Looking at my room, a wall mount isn't practical so I'd need to rely on a turntable that can resist vibration or an isolation platform of some kind. Good to hear that the Xtension 10 has some resistance to footfalls. This is almost as important as sound. In fact, I'd consider any TT that was good at resisting vibration an upgrade even if sound quality was the same as I have now.

Again, though, I have other possible changes/upgrades I'm considering and this could morph into a SACD or speaker move instead of the TT (I've looked at possible SACD replacements, in fact). Of the three, my Mirage M-3si speakers would be the toughest to give up, because I really like them. They're 24.5 years old but still good. Still, that Xtension 10 looks nice, even if I'd have to learn how to install a cartridge on my own; the Xtension 12 can be had with an Ortofon arm with a removable headshell , but that's over $2K more than the package with the Evolution arm .
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 10-23-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
That's almost what I have to do!

Speaking of Pro-Ject(!), they offer the attached. I don't know what the price given on the PDF translates into, but the Ground it Carbon is meant to handle almost any turntable, and would be a good match for the Xtension 10 if I went that route. It would even fit my VPI.
Thanks very much for sharing that, it's an interesting isolation base using a combination of carbon fiber, damping and magnetic isolation which I was previously unaware of. Seems pretty reasonably priced at $899 US.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
The last time I hooked up my turntable to see if I wanted to get back into vinyl, I had the turntable on a table and I walked over to the preamp to adjust the volume which was NOT playing loudly. Upon taking my second or third step from the TT to the preamp, the needle bounced, I heard a bang, had a brief earthquake in the room, blew a fuse in the IRS and decided I should stay with digital!

Last edited by GaryProtein; 10-24-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:08 PM

After researching a bit further into the Pro-Ject Ground It Carbon base I'm afraid it might not be suitable for my analog setup. Magnetic isolation suspension designs generally have to be designed with a target supported weight range in mind, otherwise they can be a mismatch which will be ineffective and possibly even bottom out. The heaviest Pro-Ject table seems to be in the 45 lb range and my Nottingham Dais is closer to 100 lbs hence my concern about suitability. If anyone has any further specifics in this regard I would welcome the input, TIA.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
This is encouraging. Looking at my room, a wall mount isn't practical so I'd need to rely on a turntable that can resist vibration or an isolation platform of some kind. Good to hear that the Xtension 10 has some resistance to footfalls. This is almost as important as sound. In fact, I'd consider any TT that was good at resisting vibration an upgrade even if sound quality was the same as I have now.

Again, though, I have other possible changes/upgrades I'm considering and this could morph into a SACD or speaker move instead of the TT (I've looked at possible SACD replacements, in fact). Of the three, my Mirage M-3si speakers would be the toughest to give up, because I really like them. They're 24.5 years old but still good. Still, that Xtension 10 looks nice, even if I'd have to learn how to install a cartridge on my own; the Xtension 12 can be had with an Ortofon arm with a removable headshell , but that's over $2K more than the package with the Evolution arm .
Every room is different. My Technics skipped from footfalls or even a slammed door when my kids were still at home. I put floor jacks under the joists in my basement to mitigate the vibrations but still had some issues. Since I’ve switched to the Project I’ve had zero issues or complaints of any kind. I think it sounds and looks great. I appreciate the integrated dustcover.
I keep my system in my living room and a wall mount wasn’t something I wanted to deal with either.
I do miss a removable headshell but don’t change cartridges very often so it isn’t the biggest issue. I just pick a day when I’m not rushed and don’t drink too much coffee first lol!
Best of luck!
Old 10-24-2017, 06:30 PM

I contacted Pro-Ject through their website to inquire about the suitable turntable weight range to be used with their magnetically suspended Ground It Carbon base, and will share their response when I receive it.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:32 PM

My turntable is in a built in isolated from the floor
Old 10-25-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
I contacted Pro-Ject through their website to inquire about the suitable turntable weight range to be used with their magnetically suspended Ground It Carbon base, and will share their response when I receive it.
I received a prompt response to my inquiry, and it confirms what I suspected regarding its limited effectiveness with a table of 100 lbs like my Nottingham.

"The factory replied that 100lbs is OK, but not ideal. The weight will compress the suspension, but not damage the magnets. So, the decoupling of the mass will be limited, but still the advantage of the carbon support."
Old 10-27-2017, 07:28 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
I received a prompt response to my inquiry, and it confirms what I suspected regarding its limited effectiveness with a table of 100 lbs like my Nottingham.

"The factory replied that 100lbs is OK, but not ideal. The weight will compress the suspension, but not damage the magnets. So, the decoupling of the mass will be limited, but still the advantage of the carbon support."
I haven't found any info on the Gingko platforms regarding weight capacity yet, but perhaps they'd be an alternative. They seem large enough, depending upon which one you choose, and in many cases are less expensive than the platform offered by Pro-ject.

And, I've just realized that the demonstration by "Dr. Carl" in the second link from my first post is a mod he performed, it seems. So maybe the SOTA isn't as vibration-resistant as once thought. Still, SOTA tables are known for their suspension systems, so maybe I should still look at them.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 10-27-2017, 10:19 PM

My system is mounted on a very rigid Target stand which is on spiked feet, and the top turntable platform has its own spiked isolation all in a room on a solid slab. So I'm not experiencing any vibrational issues or problems with footfalls, just always thought I'd like to try a magnetic suspension if given the opportunity.