AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Meridian Audio

Meridian Audio Listen Closely

Old 05-17-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
No, several other DAC manufacturers and streamers have committed to supporting MQA.
That's good news then. I am sure Meridian will be stellar but it is always good to have competition and cheaper level options to enjoy this new technology.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:47 PM

TIDAL today started slowly rolling MQA content for streaming. I've been able to stream Roberta Flack's Killing Me Softly in MQA 192/24 and Pat Metheny's Kin (<-->) in MQA 96/24 for example. I'm using Meridian Sooloos and a Meridian 818v3.

Soundserge
Old 01-05-2017, 06:03 PM

I am really surprised at how varied the offerings are in this initial rollout. Something for just about everybody. I have already added several titles to my library. It will take days to see how many more are worth repeated listenings.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:38 PM

Apologies for the thickness, but how do I access this content within Tidal (hopefully via Roon)? I thought i saw that info in one of these threads, but have rescanned them several times and can't find it. Apologies if I'm just missing it.

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:59 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
Apologies for the thickness, but how do I access this content within Tidal (hopefully via Roon)? I thought i saw that info in one of these threads, but have rescanned them several times and can't find it. Apologies if I'm just missing it.

Thanks.

Jim,

In Roon, it is a crap shoot. Only on the Desktop Tidal app can you see a category under new releases called Masters. In Roon, you don't get the same sort and have to find them in the PC desktop app, 'favorite' what you like and then you can see it in Roon.

Kind of stupid but I don't make the rules.

Craig
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 01-16-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Jim,

In Roon, it is a crap shoot. Only on the Desktop Tidal app can you see a category under new releases called Masters. In Roon, you don't get the same sort and have to find them in the PC desktop app, 'favorite' what you like and then you can see it in Roon.

Kind of stupid but I don't make the rules.

Craig
Using the spreadsheet maintained on the Roon site it is pretty easy for me to identify which albums are available in the MQA. Yes it takes a couple of steps for me to use Tidal/Sooloos to tag the MQA version but never more than a minute.

I must say the 10 days since Tidal started streaming MQA have been the most enjoyable I have spent in this hobby for years. A couple of releases are the best sound I have heard anytime and anywhere. I'm not saying that all MQA titles sound better than any PCM or DSD because in the end MQA doesn't make up for a poor recording just as Hi Rez and DSD do not.

Here are the + 941 titles currently identified and they are all not listed under "Masters" in Tidal.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...vid=1968149103
Old 01-16-2017, 04:29 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Using the spreadsheet maintained on the Roon site it is pretty easy for me to identify which albums are available in the MQA. Yes it takes a couple of steps for me to use Tidal/Sooloos to tag the MQA version but never more than a minute.

I must say the 10 days since Tidal started streaming MQA have been the most enjoyable I have spent in this hobby for years. A couple of releases are the best sound I have heard anytime and anywhere. I'm not saying that all MQA titles sound better than any PCM or DSD because in the end MQA doesn't make up for a poor recording just as Hi Rez and DSD do not.

Here are the + 941 titles currently identified and they are all not listed under "Masters" in Tidal.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...vid=1968149103
Wow Jim, this is getting interesting!
Nice list of various styles.
By the way, I see that Maria Callas has most albums of all.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-16-2017, 05:53 PM
Racing Hoopties

Jim, You are much more dedicated to MQA than I am. No way, I am going to run through that list then go into ROON\TIDAL, search for each one I like and add it to my favorites - when all they have to do is add that as a searchable field in the iOS app \ their system. I admire your dedication to it. Craig
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 01-16-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Jim, You are much more dedicated to MQA than I am. No way, I am going to run through that list then go into ROON\TIDAL, search for each one I like and add it to my favorites - when all they have to do is add that as a searchable field in the iOS app \ their system. I admire your dedication to it. Craig
Craig
There are only a handful of artists I am interested in so going thru +900 albums doesn't take that much time. Sure if they would just list them all under Masters it would be mush easier. I have only tagged about 20 so far and there aren't too many more I will be checking out. Waiting for the next batch to be loaded.

The way I look at it, I will listen to the artists I like in either format. If it is available in MQA great, if not, still good.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:48 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Craig
There are only a handful of artists I am interested in so going thru +900 albums doesn't take that much time. Sure if they would just list them all under Masters it would be mush easier. I have only tagged about 20 so far and there aren't too many more I will be checking out. Waiting for the next batch to be loaded.

The way I look at it, I will listen to the artists I like in either format. If it is available in MQA great, if not, still good.

Fair enough Jim. I just don't understand why they can allow the search in the Desktop app but not via Roon or an iOS App.

I have to think they were excited to get it 'out there' and didn't have all the bells and whistles checked yet. I am pretty sure they will address that and we will shortly be able to search for Masters recordings in all platforms.

In the meantime, I can wait. It is almost fun to try and stumble upon a Masters recording.