AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 08-27-2014, 12:49 AM

Very nice Andy !

Congrats my friend !
Old 08-27-2014, 01:27 AM
A happy little vegemite..

Thank you gentleman for your kind comments and congratulations.

My system is pretty humble compared to nearly everyone else here (heck my life is!) but I'm pretty happy with how it has all come together. I think you all would enjoy something about it.

Still working out toe in etc etc, no doubt they would sound better 6 ft out into the room, but the "trouble n strife" might have something to say about that. Something isn't right - not sure what it is yet.

@Dan - yup - Crystal Cable Piccolo Speaker cable + power cord & Diamond USB cable on the way; plus an Entreq grounding box. I like Crystal Cable, but can only afford the entry stuff. I have a friend with their high end cables (and Cessaro's + Shindo) and you can easily hear the benefit the more you spend - my solution is just not to know what I am missing...

When I sold my last system, everything down to the speaker cables went to the buyer, he wanted to recreate the same sound and figured he would do it down to the speaker wire (Which was Slee Spatia - very nice budget cable). I had a friend who kindly made up some lamp cord he had around into speaker cable for the interim.

Have resorted to playing Ella as they are a tizzy & little bright atm - everything is sounding digititis here; I am missing the warm rosy glow the Spendors have

Something is off.

I haven't got around to knocking a hole in the back of the TV cabinet yet (the Devialet is long and wide)- when I do the entire system will be in there. Suppose I can tweak with Still Points etc when the time comes.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 08-27-2014 at 03:59 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post
Congrats Andy, You've chosen some world-class gear.
Thanks - I thought about it at length, and had to buy the Magico's without a home audition with the Devialet to get a good price from the distributor (who I know) in Melbourne; so took a little bit of a gamble. Also seriously considered Kharma S7's - very nice speaker but outside my price range no matter how hard the importer / dealer tried.

Quote:
I, too, have been doing a lot of reading about Devialet. Impressive stuff, to say the least

Yes, it is a funny bit of gear. It sounds of...nothing. What is on the recording is what you hear. The SAM technology is interesting, and makes a discernable difference (beneficially).

I really like the black backgrounds. I spent ALOT of money getting black backgrounds with my vinyl system, and in one foul swoop the Devialet comes sailing in and demolishes it. Makes digital sound as close to my vinyl as I have heard (mind you my vinyl was very "accurate"). I expect incremental gain when the Antipodes arrives. Which leads me onto...

Quote:
Is your system completely up and running less the Magicos? Can you give me some feedback on the Antipodes server? I've heard great things about it. Thx. Enjoy.
Not quite - I am waiting for a new casework Antipodes DXe to be released - should be another couple of weeks. For the minute I am running my Synology DS 213j as a music server. A NAS is a usually small linux computer with a couple HDD's attached to it, so you can muck around with it if you are so minded (eg load Minimum Server or Music Player Daemon (although this isn't easy with the DS 213j)). I tried them and could really hear much difference to the stock "Audio Station" it came with so stuck with that.

I have been told by a couple dealers that the USB in is the best sounding input to the Devialet, and I guess I would agree with that, although truth be told I can't pick up much difference between it and wireless/ethernet. The attraction of the ANtipodes is the superb USB out.

I know John Darko personally and while he can, like most reviewers, talk a load of bollocks from time to time, he knows his computers and computer audio, and has tried just about everything, so when he says the Antipodes is the ducks nuts, then I rely on that as conclusive.

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 08-27-2014 at 02:22 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:35 AM
Life is beautiful

Congrats Andy!
A terrific minimalist approach with top notch gear!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 08-27-2014, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Congrats Andy!
A terrific minimalist approach with top notch gear!
Thanks Bart - must say that the B1's sorely tempted me as well...but hard to get to hear in Australia.

Gosh, these speakers are power hungry - they are soaking up the Dev. 120 - I think I should have got the model up....

Berthold Auerbach
Old 08-27-2014, 03:38 AM

Ahhh I traced the problem, a woofer isn't working in a speaker - dead nada nil zilch zippo nothing.

Hooked back up my Spendors - back to glorious music. Some Ray Brown Trio - Live at The Loa 24/96 HD Tracks.

Spendors back in pride of place. maybe Bridget won't notice the S1's behind them ??

Must say this is disappointing. In touch with the distributor now. They were on a pallet. I wonder if they were dropped from a great height somewhere along their journey?

Edit: one phone call to the distributor and a tech is being organised to pay a house call to diagnose and hopefully fix. Amazing service.

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 08-27-2014 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:32 PM
Life is beautiful

Aha, I already thought something must have been wrong, because your Devialet should be able to drive these S1s properly.
S*** Andy, that is bad luck!
I do hope things sort out quickly.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 08-27-2014, 02:05 PM

Wow. That's disappointing, Andy.

Hopefully it's just a lose wire inside the speaker cabinet that needs to be properly reconnected. I had that problem one after I had moved one of my speakers.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:11 PM

Andy,
sucks when a lovely new toy has some niggles but fingers crossed will soon sound glorious.
I own S1 and same colour woot
BTW did you or the dealer tighten the screw that is left loose so air can equalise while they are in transit?
Sure mine had that but been awhile so could be totally fubar memory

I use mine with Dartzeel 8550 and must say great combo, I also used to own the 1st model of Devialet way back when but there was no flexibility to "tweak" the sound to be a bit warmer at that time and on anything else other than Sonus Faber (owned that before Magico) I kind of found them too neutral I guess, but that is not an issue any more as you have some great options tweaking latest Devialet products.
Regarding the S1, surprisingly I noticed that cables may have a long term listening preference-behaviour effect as changing from Crystal Cable Ultras (loaned) back to either standard Crystal Cable or Yter or other similar cables was not quite as satisfying tbh.
Not saying expensive cable is needed but may need a bit of work finding one that fits with what you like in terms of longer term satisfaction.
I think the high frequencies are superb on the S1, and nice integration to the mid woofer.

Keep us informed how it goes!
Thanks
Orb
Old 08-27-2014, 08:16 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Andy........Talk about anticlimactic. A Magico S1 with a dead woofer on arrival is not a good thing. I hope this is resolved to your satisfaction in short order. It may be something as simple as a wire that came lose. Hope that's all it is.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A