AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Video

Video Projectors, video processors, & screens

Old 06-29-2014, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the input, Bob. That was very helpful!
Old 06-29-2014, 06:32 PM
The Eagles are back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
Thanks for the input, Bob. That was very helpful!
You're welcome
Old 06-29-2014, 09:33 PM
Mike

Future proof with 4K is the way I would go. Technology is moving so fast now its almost impossible to keep up with the changes so get the best you can now.

I would also look at getting the highest "refresh" rate you can afford, especially if you watch any sports. That's the one thing I scrimped on when I got my large screen Sharp Aquos. Fast action scenes can seem to leave a trail image if the screen does not refresh fast enough.

LED is the way to go.....Plasma is all but gone.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Accuphase E-800, Canton Ref K3’s, Dual REL T-5 Subwoofers, Musical Fidelity M6i, Shunyata Venom-HC, Tara Labs RSC Prime M1 XLR pair, Musical Fidelity M1DAC, Shunyata Everest, Omega XC, Black Cat Silverstar 75ohm digital IC, M1-CDT Transport, Shunyata Altaira, Sonos Connect and Bridge, Shunyata Sigma’s.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambalaya View Post
Future proof with 4K is the way I would go. Technology is moving so fast now its almost impossible to keep up with the changes so get the best you can now. I would also look at getting the highest "refresh" rate you can afford, especially if you watch any sports. That's the one thing I scrimped on when I got my large screen Sharp Aquos. Fast action scenes can seem to leave a trail image if the screen does not refresh fast enough. LED is the way to go.....Plasma is all but gone. Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Would agree that things move fast but, therefore there is no future proof. When 4k is the norm in content (or should I say IF) it will likely require an upgrade in HW.

Keep in mind the last must have - 3D. No offense to any of you or your kids but I never even bought the glasses.

You are right in saying that plasma is all bit dead but while it breathes it is still the best movie watching FPD. If you are concerned about the energy cost, you can't afford the TV. However I do not know if there are any reasonably priced plasmas in the 75 size range.

As far as motion blur ALL LCDs suffer. Difference is degree and fix flavor. Some companies use compensation that introduces other artifacts but there is to date no perfect fix.

Smart is not not needed or desirable for the OP. But like 3-D you get it even if you don't want.

So what to do. Here I'm going to let you down. It is a murky world out there, all of the companies are losing money and looking for the key to get consumers to open our wallets.

I sure can't make up my mind so I think I'll hang onto my D8 thousand Sammy for another year and see what happens.

Hg
Old 06-29-2014, 10:17 PM
Mike

I use the term "future proof" lightly as you are right...there's no such thing. I think all one can do is buy the best technology within your range.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Accuphase E-800, Canton Ref K3’s, Dual REL T-5 Subwoofers, Musical Fidelity M6i, Shunyata Venom-HC, Tara Labs RSC Prime M1 XLR pair, Musical Fidelity M1DAC, Shunyata Everest, Omega XC, Black Cat Silverstar 75ohm digital IC, M1-CDT Transport, Shunyata Altaira, Sonos Connect and Bridge, Shunyata Sigma’s.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:32 PM

Thanks for the insights and debate, gents. They sound much like the arguments I have been having with myself the last few days.

As far as "future proof" all I have to do is look back at things like "BetaMax" and other formats of all types to see that emerging technology, while sexy, may not survive for long. I'm watching to see if 4K does survive the initial hype and competing technologies as they come along.

However, I may not be afforded that much time as my old LED DLP is slowly dying of a progressive pixel extinction event and I may have to go with my best hunch vs. a fully informed decision.

No worries, really. Even if I pick a 4K TV and 4K does not survive, I still have the other formats to watch (HDTV, 1080p streaming, BluRay) and by the time they all die, I'll be dead right along with 'em.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:43 PM

I'd look at how far you are seated from the TV.

If you are seated less than 1.5x screen diagonal width away and your material is primarily SD (as they are Down Under), the low res will stick out like a sore thumb. That said, I've found plasmas to be less problematic in this area. But the largest you can get on a plasma is 65" and they don't have 4K.

I use my 60" Panasonic ST50 plasma for regular TV watching usually about 10 feet away on the sofa but sometimes about 15 feet away from my dining table.

But if I want a full movie experience, I go to the media room for a projector. Even without a 4K projector, the experience rivals some of the cinemas I've been to. And it's hooked up to an 11.3 DTS Neo X Marantz AVP which really creates an enveloping sound.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:54 PM

Thanks! I have done the math with respects to recommended sizes for certain viewing distances. I am right at 14 feet from the screen.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:09 AM

I'll share an experience on my barely two year old Sony XBR HX929 which was the top of line until 4k came out.

I've been having major issues with the panel...specifically local dimming and the whole thing just shutting itself off...I have engaged an authorized service to repair it but so far waiting 8 weeks for a backordered part. That's back ordered from Sony directly as I even called them multiple times to buy the part myself. So right now I have a dead tv with no repair eta.

For all I know they may even discontinue the part leaving me with a big box of garbage. I can't believe how unbelievably ridiculous it is that I can still repair an old sony trinitron that's 20 years old but can't repair their 2 year old XBR top model.

I won't be buying Sony ever again after this.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:09 AM

Moral of the story, avoid Sony or buy the longest possible extended warranty that you can.