AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 11-09-2015, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLi View Post
Recently, I have a chance to compare Rossini DAC + Paganini transport with Vivaldi DAC + Vivaldi transport. The Vivaldi combo is a obvious winner.

The Vivaldi is much smoother with better details. The Rossini/Paganini pair sounds harsh and grainy in comparison.
Oh bugger!
Old 11-09-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax4736 View Post
Do you USB to the Upsampler? If not, how do you get the files to the upsampler?
I have the HDX server, NAS and Upsampler connected on a separate CAT5 network. NAS is about 100 feet from main system in the distributed sound equipment room
Old 11-09-2015, 08:10 PM

Umm ... Wow. Rec'd the Vivaldi upsampler this afternoon. Only 2 hours or so playing time...I am sure it's not warmed up and not nearly broken in. And just using stock digital cables until I decide what to order.

The USB memory key input just adds so much more depth, dementionality, and resolution vs USB via macbook/Audinirvana+ going into the dac. It's quite startling and not subtle.

Redbook off the transport (while good before...just never was a big fan of vs a SACD) simply I listen in amazement.

Will be a long night. My NAS drive shows up tomorrow...

Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
Preamp: Robert Koda K10 Amp: Nagra Classic Amp
Cables: Transparent Opus MM2 Spkr, Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus Interconnect
Power Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon/DPC-6 v2, Anaconda Zitron cords (x6), Sigma HC (x1), Sigma Analog (x3)
Digital dCS Vivaldi DAC, Transport & Clock w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish & Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x2)
Old 11-10-2015, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
Umm ... Wow. Rec'd the Vivaldi upsampler this afternoon. Only 2 hours or so playing time...I am sure it's not warmed up and not nearly broken in. And just using stock digital cables until I decide what to order. The USB memory key input just adds so much more depth, dementionality, and resolution vs USB via macbook/Audinirvana+ going into the dac. It's quite startling and not subtle. Redbook off the transport (while good before...just never was a big fan of vs a SACD) simply I listen in amazement. Will be a long night. My NAS drive shows up tomorrow... Speakers: Rockport Altair 2 Preamp: Robert Koda K10 Amp: Nagra Classic Amp Cables: Transparent Opus MM2 Spkr, Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus Interconnect Power Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon/DPC-6 v2, Anaconda Zitron cords (x6), Sigma HC (x1), Sigma Analog (x3) Digital dCS Vivaldi DAC, Transport & Clock w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish & Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x2)
Nice to hear this. I don't have the transport, but my upsampler arrives in about ten days or so. Along with the clock.
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers
Old 11-10-2015, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
Umm ... Wow. Rec'd the Vivaldi upsampler this afternoon. Only 2 hours or so playing time...I am sure it's not warmed up and not nearly broken in. And just using stock digital cables until I decide what to order.

The USB memory key input just adds so much more depth, dementionality, and resolution vs USB via macbook/Audinirvana+ going into the dac. It's quite startling and not subtle.

Redbook off the transport (while good before...just never was a big fan of vs a SACD) simply I listen in amazement.

Will be a long night. My NAS drive shows up tomorrow...

Power Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon/DPC-6 v2, Anaconda Zitron cords (x6), Sigma HC (x1), Sigma Analog (x3)
Digital dCS Vivaldi DAC, Transport & Clock w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish & Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
I was told by my local dealer that in early next year 2016, there will be a hardware upgrade for Vivaldi upsampler. The network card will need to be changed. It is the same card as in the newer Rossini series. So you should keep all the packing and box for easy shipping.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLi View Post
I was told by my local dealer that in early next year 2016, there will be a hardware upgrade for Vivaldi upsampler. The network card will need to be changed. It is the same card as in the newer Rossini series. So you should keep all the packing and box for easy shipping.
Yes I've heard this to.

Power Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon/DPC-6 v2, Anaconda Zitron cords (x4), Sigma HC & Sigma Analog (x3)
Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ (mostly) Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
Old 11-10-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Nice to hear this. I don't have the transport, but my upsampler arrives in about ten days or so. Along with the clock.
You're in for quite a treat...I'm up sampling a red book cd to DSD right now. I swear is sounds significantly better. Nearly like a SACD. So close that I am not sure it really matters...

Power Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon/DPC-6 v2, Anaconda Zitron cords (x4), Sigma HC & Sigma Analog (x3)
Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ (mostly) Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
Old 11-12-2015, 02:31 PM

For the full stack (minus transport) I think I need this cabling:

4 75 ohm BNC for clock (I want two clock groups)
3 power cords
2 XLR (digital to digital, DAC to upsampler)
2 XLR (analog out from DAC to preamp)

I'll also run ethernet from the upsampler to my network switch.

I'm curious what music servers folks are using. I'm still using the "Mac n' DAC". I read the TAS article about the Aurender and am curious about what others use.
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers
Old 11-12-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
For the full stack (minus transport) I think I need this cabling:

4 75 ohm BNC for clock (I want two clock groups)
3 power cords
2 XLR (digital to digital, DAC to upsampler)
2 XLR (analog out from DAC to preamp)

I'll also run ethernet from the upsampler to my network switch.

I'm curious what music servers folks are using. I'm still using the "Mac n' DAC". I read the TAS article about the Aurender and am curious about what others use.
That sounds right. Right now I am using all Transparent Reference XL for all the clock cables. I am using stock AES/EBU from upsampler to dac. It sounds very very nice.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I read the TAS article about the Aurender and am curious about what others use.
Mac Mini running Audirvana with a 55inch display on the front wall. Blue tooth keyboard and mouse to control from my chair. Transparent USB cable to Upsampler.

Cincy
Magico Q-Sub 15 Subwoofers (2)
Transparent Opus Gen5 speaker cables and Interconnects
PS Audio P20 regenerator
Roon file management